[comp.unix.sysv386] Dell UNIX compatibility question

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (02/28/91)

jim@tct.uucp (Jim Kunzman) writes:

>Dell's UNIX SysVR4 looks like a tempting deal; however, Dell
>apparently doesn't seem interested in speculating about how well their
>UNIX will run on a non-Dell system.  This seems natural enough so I

maybe that is why Dell is offering a 30 day no questions asked refund
policy?
--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.165732.28273@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>>Dell's UNIX SysVR4 looks like a tempting deal; however, Dell
>maybe that is why Dell is offering a 30 day no questions asked refund
>policy?

The DELL guy I talked to told me about this 30 day thing, but I couldn't
open the media...

Also, DELL only ships on 150Meg tape, right?  Is there a way to get going
with a SCSI tape drive (i.e., is there a boot floppy kernel with enough
brains to allow pkgadd from the SCSI tape??)  The DELL guy didn't know,
and never returned me an answer...

-scott

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (03/01/91)

In <1141@applix.com>, scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) wrote:

> The DELL guy I talked to told me about this 30 day thing, but I couldn't
> open the media...

Sigh.  Who did you talk to?  Yes, you get to install it and try it
out.

> Also, DELL only ships on 150Meg tape, right?  Is there a way to get going
> with a SCSI tape drive (i.e., is there a boot floppy kernel with enough
> brains to allow pkgadd from the SCSI tape??)  The DELL guy didn't know,
> and never returned me an answer...

Now I *really* want to know who you talked to.  The boot floppy knows
about the Adaptec AHA-1542B - it should just work.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

rot@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Robert Rothe) (03/02/91)

dave@pmafire.inel.gov (Dave Remien) writes:

>In article <1141@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>+>Also, DELL only ships on 150Meg tape, right?  Is there a way to get going
>+>with a SCSI tape drive (i.e., is there a boot floppy kernel with enough
>+>brains to allow pkgadd from the SCSI tape??)  The DELL guy didn't know,
>+>and never returned me an answer...

>Dell loads fine off an Adaptec 154x with Archive 2150S tape. The boot
>disks know about it immediately. I'm running it on an AIR 25MHz '486;
>with a Maxtor 8760S drive. I get occasional hangs, but I think I've got
>some flaky hardware in the machine at this point.
>--

What other scsi-streamers are supported ? how about the tandberg TDC 3820 ?

	robert.

--
Unlisys,  Hohenzollerndamm 7, 1000 Berlin 31     ---     Robert Rothe
unido!fub!unlisys!rot,   rot@unlisys.in-berlin.de,    030 / 88 22 980

In article <1141@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:

| Also, DELL only ships on 150Meg tape, right?  Is there a way to get going
| with a SCSI tape drive (i.e., is there a boot floppy kernel with enough
| brains to allow pkgadd from the SCSI tape??)  The DELL guy didn't know,
| and never returned me an answer...

  The boot disk will boot nicely from SCSI. Although Dell refuses to
ship on 60MB tapes, they did for beta testers, and their drivers work
with PC-36, EV-811, Wangtek 5099, 5125... seem reasonably robust.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

In article <27CAE13D.237A@tct.uucp> jim@tct.uucp (Jim Kunzman) writes:
| Dell's UNIX SysVR4 looks like a tempting deal; however, Dell
| apparently doesn't seem interested in speculating about how well their
| UNIX will run on a non-Dell system.  This seems natural enough so I
| would like to inquire about problems others may have had installing
| Dell's OS on other platforms.

  When I was beta testing it I ran on every spare system I could find. I
had a serious problem finding a machine I could dedicate to it
initially, so it got run on SX's, old moss covered Compaq's, etc. I
found that about anything with a 386, 8MB, and some kind of disk
controller which looked like a WD or 1542 would run, and any reasonable
tape drive would, too.

In article <13615@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> yeh@cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) writes:
|     Experiences:
|     o making every filesystem as s5, not ufs (including the ROOT!!!!) "could"
|       be helpful and necessary for some 3.2 applications.

  Unless you need this compatibility I wouldn't. The s5 f/s seems slower
and I think it uses freelist instead of bitmap (i am *not* sure about
the last).

|     o you can allocate swap space using files.  And it works.  I allocaed
|       8mb on the 3085 and another 8mb on the scsi.  No panics.
|     o X only supports 640x480 for vga's.  But I was able to install tvtwm
|       quite easily though.  Dell's releasing Roell's X386 soon, last time
|       I heard.

  I'm told this is coming by the end of February. Oops! Well, Dell has
been more concerned with reliability than performance here, I think the
X03 beta version supported 800x600 if you had a Paradise.

|     o there's the vidi porgram, but no e80x43 mode!!!

  You noticed that, too!

|     o It may be because of the main swap being on the 3085, not enough memory,
|       or no math co, X performance isn't quite good though.

  X performance is improved by a 387. And if you're compiling your own
stuff, like tvtwm and xloadimage, when they release gcc that will help a
huge bunch.

|     o the tty driver (or whatever is handling the keyboard input) sometimes
|       gets crazy when you hit ctrl-C.  A couple more ctrl-C sometimes save
|       it.

  I have not had any problem with this at all. I also notice that I can
bounce vt's from X to DOS to normal screens and never hang. Some popular
3.2 releases get very confused if you go in and out of DOS graphics screens.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell) (03/05/91)

>|     o you can allocate swap space using files.  And it works.  I allocaed
>|       8mb on the 3085 and another 8mb on the scsi.  No panics.
>|     o X only supports 640x480 for vga's.  But I was able to install tvtwm
>|       quite easily though.  Dell's releasing Roell's X386 soon, last time
>|       I heard.
>
>  I'm told this is coming by the end of February. Oops! Well, Dell has
>been more concerned with reliability than performance here, I think the
>X03 beta version supported 800x600 if you had a Paradise.

BTW, X386 runs very fine on SVR4. Only with the 8514 part are many big
problems. Also the shared libs work fine. Only Xview 2.0 causes some trouble,
but this will be fixed soon. But on Paradise you can only get 720x540 in
256 colors anyway.

- Thomas

E-Mail (domain):	 roell@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."