[comp.unix.sysv386] Running Interactive UNIX w/2 80 MB HDs instead of 1 160. Acceptable?

holtt@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Holt) (03/01/91)

I'm setting up an Everex 386/25 Step system to run Interactive's UNIX, and
am wondering how acceptable it would be to use 2 80 MB HDs instead of one
large one (like a 160).  I suppose there could be some degredation, but
I can also imagine some improvement in performance, especially if the
swap space was on one HD and work space on the other.

My reason is that the computer will be on board a ship and the other
marine technicians here at OSU have had bad luck with big (160+) HDs,
more frequent failures, so are very inclined towards multiple small (80)
drives.

Is this reasonable?  2 80s instead of 1 160?

Tim Holt - Marine Technician		holtt@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
Oregon State University			(503)737-4447
College of Oceanograpy
Oc. Admin. 104
Corvallis, OR 97331-5503

kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.171847.2803@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> holtt@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Holt) writes:
>I'm setting up an Everex 386/25 Step system to run Interactive's UNIX, and
>am wondering how acceptable it would be to use 2 80 MB HDs instead of one
>large one (like a 160).

ISC installation (and perhaps some other things) assume that if you
have a "usr" filesystem, it will be on the boot disk with the "root"
filesystem. Thus, if you can get all the software you plan to use
(and which insists on being installed on the root FS or under /usr)
into 80MB, you will be OK. You can use the second disk for a "usr2"
(or multiple "usrN") filesystems. It is also possible to
make a "tmp" filesystem on the second disk and put /tmp there.

I believe that a lot of purchased software (e.g. oracle, perhaps
some compilers) expects to be in places like /bin (root filesystem)
or under /usr/bin /usr/lib ...

It is supposed to be possible to put additional swap space on the
second drive, but I have never done it.

I found several bugs in the ISC2.2 addharddisk stuff, such as
inability to cope with putting /tmp on the second disk without
fiddling the script.
--
-----
E. N. Kittlitz	kittlitz@world.std.com / kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com

kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) writes:

>I believe that a lot of purchased software (e.g. oracle, perhaps
>some compilers) expects to be in places like /bin (root filesystem)
>or under /usr/bin /usr/lib ...

/usr is not required to be on the first drive.  The only pieces
that *MUST* be on the first drive are 1) root partition (primarily /, /bin
and /etc) and 2) primary swap space

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar03.025118.21345@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) writes:
>
>>I believe that a lot of purchased software (e.g. oracle, perhaps
>>some compilers) expects to be in places like /bin (root filesystem)
>>or under /usr/bin /usr/lib ...
>
>/usr is not required to be on the first drive.  The only pieces
>that *MUST* be on the first drive are 1) root partition (primarily /, /bin
>and /etc) and 2) primary swap space
>
>--
>Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
>uunet!virtech!cpcahil                           46030 Manekin Plaza, Suite 160
>                                                Sterling, VA 22170

How about /dev?  Doesn't it need this to open any subsequent devices?

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

In article <1991Feb28.171847.2803@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> holtt@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Holt) writes:
| I'm setting up an Everex 386/25 Step system to run Interactive's UNIX, and
| am wondering how acceptable it would be to use 2 80 MB HDs instead of one
| large one (like a 160).  I suppose there could be some degredation, but
| I can also imagine some improvement in performance, especially if the
| swap space was on one HD and work space on the other.

  The first answer is yes, you can do two 80's and performance should be
somewhat better than one 160 (assuming similar seek times).

  However, running on a ship is going to present lots of motion (roll) and
vibration which are hard on a disk. Under those conditions an IDE drive
(or other 3-1/2 inch) may be better in terms of reliability. I know the
Navy has some data on this, and they recently got a bunch of portables
for on ship use on at least a few ships. Having seen them used in
running 4x4's during an off road rally, I guess they are as good as you
will get.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar03.025118.21345@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>/usr is not required to be on the first drive.
I know that it is possible to get "usr" onto the second drive, but
it is hardly facilitated by the ISC installation scripts. I have explicitly
asked ISC support people about this, and have been told that usr on
a second drive is not supported.  If you opt for a combined root/usr
filesystem on the first drive, you are not (unless I am VERY much mistaken)
offered the subsequent oppurtunity to make a "usr" filesystem on a later
drive. You are offered "usrN" filesystems and swap space.

I have managed to get "usr" onto a second drive, but only by dint of adding
the second drive with filesystem names like usr2 and then subsequent
editing of /etc/partitions, fstab, etc., and a find/cpio to move the
whole /usr directory to the new filesystem. It does work, but I believe
it is not for the naive.

--
-----

pozar@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Feb28.171847.2803@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> holtt@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Holt) writes:
>I'm setting up an Everex 386/25 Step system to run Interactive's UNIX, and
>am wondering how acceptable it would be to use 2 80 MB HDs instead of one
>large one (like a 160).
   When I talked to Jeff at Esix a bit ago, he told me that Rev 4 will
max out and possibly overflow a 80megger.  You may want to stick with
the 160Meg drive if you want to upgrade.

                   Tim

--
       pozar@lns.com  Fido: 1:125/555  PaBell: 415-788-3904
    USNail:  KKSF-FM / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108