[comp.unix.sysv386] AST four-port switch settings

alexb@cfctech.cfc.com (Alex Beylin) (03/02/91)

Could someone please send me the switch settings for the
AST 4-port board (early version, SN 4889).  I used to have a manual
for this card in one of the boxes...

It will be used in a system with i386 2.2. and fas async driver.
Currently I have two serial ports installed and no IRQs available,
so I guess the 2-port card will have to go.  If I understand
the way it works, the 4-port card only needs one IRQ, which will
leave with one free for a future addition.

I need to have DOS and VPIX recognize COM1 as one of the ports
on the card.

Thanks in advance,

Alex Beylin
alexb@cfctech.cfc.com
..sharkey!cfctech!alexb

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (03/03/91)

alexb@cfctech.cfc.com (Alex Beylin) writes:

> Could someone please send me the switch settings for the
> AST 4-port board (early version, SN 4889).  I used to have a manual
> for this card in one of the boxes...
>
> It will be used in a system with i386 2.2. and fas async driver.

While you're at it could you tell me where I can get such a board?

I am currently runing ISC R3.2 V2.2 with only the two COM ports on
a Dell 80386 without 16550A chips and 1) can't get the ICC 8-port
card installed (INTEL no longer makes supports this card but has
promised to send me some new drivers which have yet to arrive...),
2) a 4-port card I got from Taiwan literally blew up and started to
smoke when I tried to install it (I've sent it back for replacement).

Also, has anybody sucessfully compiled/installed the FAS driver for
ISC? I get linker errors when I try it.

--Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

jjohnson@peyote.cactus.org (Jeff Johnson) (03/06/91)

In article <sa69X1w163w@aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

>While you're at it could you tell me where I can get such a board?

ACP was closing them out a while back for $99.  They may still have
some.  We bought two.  They were brand new (unused) and work fine.  They
use socketed 82450s.

Advanced Computer Products (ACP)
1310 E. Edinger
Santa Ana, CA  92705
(800) FONE-ACP
(800) 366-3227
(714) 558-8813
(714) 558-8813 (fax)

I have no connection with ACP or AST; I am just a satisfied customer.

--
Jeff Johnson		10926 Jollyville #1420, Austin, TX 78759
Computer Consultant	(512) 343-0675		(512) 750-UNIX

wcr@tree.tree.metrolink.com (W.c. Rothanburg) (03/06/91)

In article <sa69X1w163w@aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

   alexb@cfctech.cfc.com (Alex Beylin) writes:

   > Could someone please send me the switch settings for the
   > AST 4-port board (early version, SN 4889).  I used to have a manual
   > for this card in one of the boxes...
   >
   > It will be used in a system with i386 2.2. and fas async driver.

   Also, has anybody sucessfully compiled/installed the FAS driver for
   ISC? I get linker errors when I try it.

Make sure you define NEED_PUT_GETCHAR in fas.h.  If you have the
asy drivers completely disabled, you'll need to make this define.

Bill

--
Who  : Metro Link, Inc.
What : X11.R4. for ISC Unix 386/ix, SCO Unix/386, and Everex ESIX

md@sco.COM (Michael Davidson) (03/07/91)

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:
>alexb@cfctech.cfc.com (Alex Beylin) writes:
>> Could someone please send me the switch settings for the
>> AST 4-port board (early version, SN 4889).  I used to have a manual
>> for this card in one of the boxes...
>>
>> It will be used in a system with i386 2.2. and fas async driver.
>While you're at it could you tell me where I can get such a board?

JDR Microdevices in San Jose (sorry don't have their address, but
they advertise in several PC magazines) - sell a 4 port card under
the "MCT" (Modular Circuit Technology) brand name that is an AST
4 port clone. Make sure you ask for the "multiuser" card - they
also have some other dumb 4 port cards that are not AST clones.

Last I heard they were selling these cards for about $195.