[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO/mountain streamer: cannot read tapes

bergler@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Roland Bergler) (03/04/91)

I got trouble reading tapes written on other unix-machines on my
Mountain filesave 150 with QIC-02 interface with SCO-unix 3.2.v2.0.
The tapes were written on a sun tape drive using tar, and can be
read on virtually any othr unix systems, includeing SCO with SCSI streamer.
(i didn't try other mountain / SCO-environments, for i dont have access to
any other except mine)
I tried reading the tape with tar, dd and even cat </dev/rct0, but all
i get is Read I/O error (from dd and tar). tapes are writte in 150MB
and 60MB formats, doesnt't work with either.
can anybody help??
roland

mjl@lccma.bos.locus.com (Mike Leibensperger) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar4.121608.8473@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>,
bergler@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Roland Bergler) writes:
>I got trouble reading tapes written on other unix-machines on my
>Mountain filesave 150 with QIC-02 interface with SCO-unix 3.2.v2.0.
>The tapes were written on a sun tape drive using tar, and can be
>read on virtually any othr unix systems, includeing SCO with SCSI streamer.

Yup.  That's because Sun jumped on the quarter inch cartridge (QIC)
bandwagon early, so Sun QIC tapes use the older QIC-10 on-tape format
rather than QIC-24.

Some QIC-24 tape drives have a QIC-10 compatibility mode that you can
set from software, often through the SCSI "mode select" sickness.
Other drives can be physically jumpered (yech!).  Still other drives
have no QIC-10 compatibility and you are up the Ganges without an air
freshener.

This is probably a FAQ in the comp.tape.qic.lossage newsgroup, if such
exists.

Grep your tape drive manual for "QIC-10".  Good luck.

	yr obdnt svnt,
	mjl
--
Michael J. Leibensperger <mjl@locus.com>       "None are so deeply enslaved
Locus Computing Corp./Boston			as those who falsely believe

mjl@lccma.bos.locus.com (Mike Leibensperger) (03/07/91)

In article <22497@oolong.la.locus.com> mjl@lccma.bos.locus.com
(Mike Leibensperger (THAT'S ME!)) writes:

> In article <1991Mar4.121608.8473@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>,
> bergler@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Roland Bergler) writes:
> >I got trouble reading tapes written on other unix-machines on my
> >Mountain filesave 150 with QIC-02 interface with SCO-unix 3.2.v2.0.
> >The tapes were written on a sun tape drive using tar, and can be
> >read on virtually any othr unix systems, includeing SCO with SCSI streamer.
>
>Yup.  That's because Sun jumped on the quarter inch cartridge (QIC)
>bandwagon early, so Sun QIC tapes use the older QIC-10 on-tape format
>rather than QIC-24.

Actually I may have been premature in blaming your problem on QIC-10/24
incompatibilities, since you say other UNIX machines have no problem
reading your Sun tapes.  You might try writing a tape on a non-Sun and
seeing if your Sun can read it.  It's possible that your other vendors
have drives and/or driver software that can read either QIC-10 or
QIC-24.  If your Sun cannot read a known QIC-24 tape, then it is
possible that your SCO/Mountain setup may need additional driver support
or controller re-jumpering to read the QIC-10 format that your Sun is
writing (as I stated in the previous article).

Viel Glu:ck!

I remain...