[comp.unix.sysv386] cpio hangs on end of tape, Archive 2150S with Adaptec 1542B, ISC 2.2.1

jsmithso@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Jim Smithson) (03/04/91)

I am having problems making backups (cpio) where more than one tape is needed.
My cpio process seems to hang when it reaches the end of tape. The tape is
rewound and the drive access LED remains on.
I expect to see the message:
	"If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready."
I have a Archive 2150S SCSI 150 Megabyte tape drive and a Adaptec 1542B SCSI
controller in my 486 system.
I have installed the upgrade to Interactive UNIX 2.2.1.(Which by the way came
with no documentation from my soon to be former distributor).
I am using NC-600XTD Nashua tapes (I believe these are the same as the
certified DC600XTD tapes mentioned in TAPE(7)).
I have checked the EPROMS in the 2150S but cannot find a revision number,
the marking is:		21247-805
			C/S 1849
There is a mention of a revision number on the main circuit board:
			Archive Corp.
			80688-
			REV		005B
I would think this unit is up to the specs mentioned in TAPE(7) since the
warranty stickers seem to show that it was manufactured in Feb. 1991.

I have even tried removing the jumper on the 1542B which enables synchronous
transfer negotiation (J5-1). With no jumper, same result, hung cpio.

Here is the device node to the tape:
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      41,  8 Mar  4 10:16 /dev/tape
I tried using/making different type of dev. nodes, but no luck. I even got a
DOUBLE PANIC when using a node I made as: mknod nw150tape c 41 15
The message said: "gdev_start bad drq_type 3"

The strapping on the 2150S as it came from the dealer:
		____________________
		| Power		1  |
		\__________________/
		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
		   *  *  *  *  *--* (2)
		   *  *  *--*  *  * (1)
		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6

I did not get any documentation with the drive. :-(
I tried the settings used in our NCR Tower 32/650 tape drive (also 2150S):
		____________________
		| Power		1  |
		\__________________/
		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
		   *  *  *  *  *--* (2)
		   *--*  *--*  *  * (1)
		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6

I have only the 2150S and the Hard disk (Micropolis 1684-7) on the internal
SCSI bus. No devices on the external bus. I would think that if the bus was
not terminated properly, it would not work at all.
Any help is appreciated. Thanx in Advance!

--
James R. Smithson	Ascom Autelca AG      CH-3073 Guemligen/Switzerland
E-mail: jsmithso@autelca.ascom.ch   FAX: +41 31 529 544 Voice : +41 31 529 214

kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) (03/05/91)

In article <1550@aut.autelca.ascom.ch> jsmithso@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Jim Smithson) writes:
>I am having problems making backups (cpio) where more than one tape is needed.
>My cpio process seems to hang when it reaches the end of tape.

I was involved with a problem in end-of-tape processing on another tape
driver. By the time I got to it, there were some people who (erroneously)
believed that the driver went through the HPDD (high-performance-disk-driver)
mechanism. It didn't, but that did not stop ISC from discovering problems
with EOT handling on drivers which do go through HPDD.

It is my belief that the fix for this is not in 2.2.1. You will
need to contact ISC to verify this.
--
E. N. Kittlitz	kittlitz@world.std.com / kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com
Contracting at Bull, but not alleging any representation of their philosophy.

In article <1550@aut.autelca.ascom.ch> jsmithso@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Jim Smithson) writes:
>I am having problems making backups (cpio) where more than one tape is needed.
>My cpio process seems to hang when it reaches the end of tape. The tape is
>rewound and the drive access LED remains on.
>I expect to see the message:
>	"If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready."

Yes, I would expect that -- IF I'm using the raw device.   And in fact, I DO
see that.

>I have a Archive 2150S SCSI 150 Megabyte tape drive and a Adaptec 1542B SCSI
>controller in my 486 system.

Something is screwey here -- I have the same combination, and it works great.
No muss, no fuss, no hassles.

>I have installed the upgrade to Interactive UNIX 2.2.1.(Which by the way came
>with no documentation from my soon to be former distributor).

Well, if you're buying as a dealer, you're supposed to know what you're
doing :-)  Seriously, the 2150S drives normally do not have any docs --
unless you buy the manuals from Archive.  Most people don't.

>I am using NC-600XTD Nashua tapes (I believe these are the same as the
>certified DC600XTD tapes mentioned in TAPE(7)).

Those should work.

>			REV		005B
>I would think this unit is up to the specs mentioned in TAPE(7) since the
>warranty stickers seem to show that it was manufactured in Feb. 1991.

I have a 5B rev unit as well.  Works fine.

>I have even tried removing the jumper on the 1542B which enables synchronous
>transfer negotiation (J5-1). With no jumper, same result, hung cpio.

Put that one back in -- it should be there.

>Here is the device node to the tape:
>crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      41,  8 Mar  4 10:16 /dev/tape

That's correct.

>The strapping on the 2150S as it came from the dealer:
>		____________________
>		| Power		1  |
>		\__________________/
>		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
>		   *  *  *  *  *--* (2)
>		   *  *  *--*  *  * (1)
>		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6

Try ID = 4.  (Ie: remove strap (2)).  That's where mine (and all the ones I
install) are.

>		____________________
>		| Power		1  |
>		\__________________/
>		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
>		   *  *  *  *  *--* (2)
>		   *--*  *--*  *  * (1)
>		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6
>
>I have only the 2150S and the Hard disk (Micropolis 1684-7) on the internal
>SCSI bus. No devices on the external bus. I would think that if the bus was
>not terminated properly, it would not work at all.
>Any help is appreciated. Thanx in Advance!

I am not sure where the jumpers on my unit are... I do have it set for the
maximum buffer size; it seems to help the transfer rate.  Other than that,
and the ID (4 is usually the one I use) I can't see any reason for it not to
work as it should.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

jsmithso@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Jim Smithson) (03/08/91)

Quite a few people have asked what response I got to my posting on the
problems with the Archive 2150S and Interactive 2.2.1.

The e-mailed response I got from Interactive Support was:

ISC> There is a known problem with EOT detection in the Adaptec SCSI HPDD Tape
ISC> driver.  This has been fixed, but isn't scheduled to be released 'til
ISC> 2.3 (late summer).
ISC> DLP

I have no idea why Interactive did not post this response to this news group
(at least I have not seen a followup yet).

Several people suggested that cpio was the problem and that I instead use
`afio`. Not true, I have used cpio before to create multi-tape archives
on other UNIX computers and it has worked. However, `afio` may be a good
workaround until the driver problem is fixed.
Again, thanks to all who responded!

--
James R. Smithson	Ascom Autelca AG      CH-3073 Guemligen/Switzerland
E-mail: jsmithso@autelca.ascom.ch   FAX: +41 31 529 544 Voice : +41 31 529 214
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!chx400!hslrswi!aut!jsmithso
It's not those 30 character German words that confuse me. It's the little ones!

martys@mchale.ism.isc.com (Marty Stewart) (03/09/91)

In article <1599@aut.autelca.ascom.ch> jsmithso@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Jim Smithson) writes:

>ISC> There is a known problem with EOT detection in the Adaptec SCSI HPDD Tape
>ISC> driver.  This has been fixed, but isn't scheduled to be released 'til
>ISC> 2.3 (late summer).
>ISC> DLP

	Actually ISC has created a fixdisk, SSU.7, which resolves many SCSI
HPDD tape driver issues.  This fixdisk will be available for ordering at the
end of March.

Marty C. Stewart
Support Team Leader