[comp.unix.sysv386] Wangtek 5150ES/Adaptec 1542B and ISC 2.2

stritzi@ss5 (Peer Stritzinger) (03/01/91)

I have problems installing my Wangtek SCSI Tape under Interactive Unix 2.2.

The Tape works all right with SCO UNIX 3.2.2 and the supplied Sytos DOS
Software.

ISC reports "2 SCSI DRIVES FOUND" during power-up. There is only one SCSI-
harddisk connected to the Adaptec 1542. Changing the SCSI-ID of the tape
doesn't have any effect.

Can anybody help me?

Peer Stritzinger

e-mail  stritzi@srv.cip.physik.tu-muenchen.de

--
Peer Stritzinger
Tel.: (49)8141-90613

dougp@ico.isc.com (Doug Pintar) (03/01/91)

In article <stritzi.667759635@ss5> stritzi@ss5 (Peer Stritzinger) writes:
>I have problems installing my Wangtek SCSI Tape under Interactive Unix 2.2.
>
>ISC reports "2 SCSI DRIVES FOUND" during power-up. There is only one SCSI-
>harddisk connected to the Adaptec 1542. Changing the SCSI-ID of the tape
>doesn't have any effect.

I tried to reply via e-mail, but your 'from' line didn't work with my mailer.
Here's the message:

What problems are you having?  The driver SHOULD report 2 drives found --
one disk and one tape.  The device nodes should be
/dev/ct    c  41  8     ; rewind-on-close
/dev/nrct  c  41  0     ; no-rewind-on-close

The driver does no buffering, so use the -C option on cpio (make sure the
number you specify, when multiplied by 10, is a multiple of 512 and less
than 384 KB) or pipe things through 'dd' using a big buffer for the tape
(I use something like 'cpio -oBcv | dd ibs=5120 obs=320k of=/dev/ct').

Let me know if you still have problems,
DLP

support@bomber.ism.isc.com (Support Account) (03/02/91)

In article <stritzi.667759635@ss5> stritzi@ss5 (Peer Stritzinger) writes:
>I have problems installing my Wangtek SCSI Tape under Interactive Unix 2.2
>ISC reports "2 SCSI DRIVES FOUND" during power-up. There is only one SCSI-
>harddisk connected to the Adaptec 1542. Changing the SCSI-ID of the tape
>doesn't have any effect.

The 3 common issues which casue problemw with SCSI tapes:

Incorrect major/minor device numbers (see section on HPDD in the
Maintenance Procedures section of the Operating System Guide).

Incorrect LUN (logical unit number). This seems to work best if
LUN > 3.

Incorrect DMA channel. Verify that the hardware DMA (should be
5 or 6) matches the value in software. This value is stored in

/etc/conf/cf.d/mdevice

on the line that begins with "TAPE" in the far left column. The
value is in the far right column. This value sometimes is delivered
as "-1". If it is incorrect, set it to match hardware  and rebuild
the kernel.

support

klm@gozer.UUCP (Kevin L. McBride) (03/10/91)

In article <stritzi.667759635@ss5> stritzi@ss5 (Peer Stritzinger) writes:
>I have problems installing my Wangtek SCSI Tape under Interactive Unix 2.2.
>
>The Tape works all right with SCO UNIX 3.2.2 and the supplied Sytos DOS
>Software.
>
>ISC reports "2 SCSI DRIVES FOUND" during power-up. There is only one SCSI-
>harddisk connected to the Adaptec 1542. Changing the SCSI-ID of the tape
>doesn't have any effect.

OK.  When you have 1 scsi hard disk and 1 scsi tape connected to the
host adapter, the kernel SHOULD report 2 scsi drives found.  This is
perfectly OK.

>Can anybody help me?

Doesn't sound like you need much.  Go into kconfig and check the
configuration of the high performance disk driver.  Make sure that the
tape is configured.  If it isn't, select the proper tape drive,
rebuild the kernel and reboot.

I have pretty much the same setup;  ISC 2.2, Adaptec 1542, CDC Wren
1.2GB scsi hard drive, Wangtek 5150ES tape.  Works like a champ.

I'd even be willing to bet that my configuration is stranger than most
because my Adaptec is my secondary controller.  I have a Western
Digital WD1007 ESDI as my primary.  I have root, swap, and /usr on a
380MB Micropolis ESDI drive. All of my real work, usenet spool area,
and X source code is on the SCSI drive.

No, I still don't have enough disk space.  (1/2 :-)

--
Kevin L. McBride     |Contract programming (on and offsite)   |Brewmeister and
President            |X, Motif, TCP/IP, UNIX, VAX/VMS,        |Bottle Washer