[comp.unix.sysv386] IDE Drives

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (03/12/91)

lam@hyper.hyper.com (Edmund C. Lam) writes:

>The drawback with IDE comes from the fact that the interface limits
>your data transfer rates to an observed maximum of 400K/s.
>The drive might be quick on average access time, but IDE drives
>suffer from low transfer rates.

As a generalization, this is false.  I have observed 950 Kb/sec from
IDE drives on ISA 386-33 machines.

However, it is no doubt true that higher data transfer rates can be
obtained on ISA with bus-mastering DMA techniques, such as those used
by the better SCSI controllers, than with the PIO approach used by
IDE.  But the limits of PIO are not nearly as low as Lam suggests.

//richard

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (03/13/91)

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:

> lam@hyper.hyper.com (Edmund C. Lam) writes:
>
> >The drawback with IDE comes from the fact that the interface limits
> >your data transfer rates to an observed maximum of 400K/s.
> >The drive might be quick on average access time, but IDE drives
> >suffer from low transfer rates.
>
> As a generalization, this is false.  I have observed 950 Kb/sec from
> IDE drives on ISA 386-33 machines.

For what it's worth, I spent some time investigating whether to use
"IDE" or "ESDI" before I got my UNIX box (Dell 333D with 320 MB
ESDI).  The conclusion I came to is that one cannot make any kind
of intelligent decision based upon the names; instead you need to
know both the average seek time *and* the transfer rate.

My simple minded comparison test to concatenate a 96 K file 8 times
to make one 768 K file took the following times:

   80386 SX 16 Mhz with  40 MB IDE   7.5 Mbps controller: 10 sec
   80386 SX 16 Mhz with 190 MB IDE  14.8 Mbps controller:  4 sec
   80386 33 33 Mhz with 320 MB ESDI 20   Mbps controller:  2 sec

Kinda makes sense if you look at the Mbps, doesn't it?

--Dave