[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC TCP & Twisted-Pair Ethernet

stlouis@unixg.ubc.ca (Phill St. Louis) (03/14/91)

Has anyone had problem getting Interactive Unix 2.2 TCP/IP to work with
twisted pair ethernet.  We are using 3COMM 3C503 ethernet boards with
built-in tranceivers.  Our ethernet hub is SynOptics 10BASE-T.  These
3COMM boards work perfectly with PC-NFS.  The ethernet works perfectly
with our Sun Sparcstations, GatorBox and PC-NFS, but Interactive TCP/IP
will not allow us to PING, or TELNET or RLOGIN or whatever.

P. St. Louis

bent@lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) (03/15/91)

stlouis@unixg.ubc.ca (Phill St. Louis) writes:

>Has anyone had problem getting Interactive Unix 2.2 TCP/IP to work with
>twisted pair ethernet.  We are using 3COMM 3C503 ethernet boards with
>built-in tranceivers.  Our ethernet hub is SynOptics 10BASE-T.  These
>3COMM boards work perfectly with PC-NFS.  The ethernet works perfectly
>with our Sun Sparcstations, GatorBox and PC-NFS, but Interactive TCP/IP
>will not allow us to PING, or TELNET or RLOGIN or whatever.

We too run a very similar setup.  The problem we had was that when we set
up sendmail, it puts nameserver in /etc/resolve.conf, even though we told
it we did not have a name server.  According to ISC support, this is a known
bug.  We changed the nameserver to nonameserver, and everything came up
like a champ.  (By the way, we could use numeric addresses to do things
like ping and telnet.  If you have set up sendmail, and can ping a numeric
address, then this might be the solution to your problem.)

>P. St. Louis

Ben Taylor
Systems Administrator
LCC Incorporated
uunet!lccinc!bent

nealpo@ism.isc.com (Neal Pollack) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.012111.15703@unixg.ubc.ca> stlouis@unixg.ubc.ca (Phill St. Louis) writes:
>Has anyone had problem getting Interactive Unix 2.2 TCP/IP to work with
>twisted pair ethernet.  We are using 3COMM 3C503 ethernet boards with
>built-in tranceivers.  Our ethernet hub is SynOptics 10BASE-T.  These
>3COMM boards work perfectly with PC-NFS.  The ethernet works perfectly
>with our Sun Sparcstations, GatorBox and PC-NFS, but Interactive TCP/IP
>will not allow us to PING, or TELNET or RLOGIN or whatever.
>
>P. St. Louis

ISC uses twisted pair ethernet internally at two corporate sites.  We use
our OS version 2.2, some 2.02, HBTCP 1.2, wd-8003 cards with outside
10Base-T tranceivers for the most part, David Systems 10Base-T hubs.
Works great.

Double check that the boards used are supported by our driver, (I think
3C503 is, but not sure), and contact support to see if there are any
special notes about your hardware and setup.

Sincerely,

Neal Pollack
Operations