[comp.unix.sysv386] WANGTEK 5150 PROBLEM

kobetitsch@picker.com (harry kobetitsch) (03/07/91)

I have a problem with Wangtek 5150 tape drive backups
running on Interactive UNIX V2.2 . The problem  is that under
Interactive UNIX I will use the following command:

	$ find / -print | cpio -ovcdumC12400 >/dev/tape

The tape drive will back up the complete file system but it will
take two days to do it because it will not stream.

I have dealt with Interactive and Wangtek and they both are unable
to solve the problem. I have used the PC-36 controller as well as
the PC-02 controller, both with the same results.

I am using a DMI 386 w/8MB Ram, Paradise VGA, Adaptec SCSI w/ Priam
320MB drive, Coprocessor, Western Digital Ethernet Card.

Can anybody out there provide input to this problem. I would
appreciate any input.

FAX: (216)473-7032
Voice: (216)473-2624
E-mail: kobetitsch@picker.com
UUCP: ...!uunet!picker!kobetitsch

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (03/08/91)

In article <199@picker.Picker.COM> kobetitsch@picker.com (harry kobetitsch) writes:

>The tape drive will back up the complete file system but it will
>take two days to do it because it will not stream.
>
>I have dealt with Interactive and Wangtek and they both are unable
>to solve the problem. I have used the PC-36 controller as well as
>the PC-02 controller, both with the same results.

I had a problem with a Wangtek 5150ES SCSI not streaming.  It turned out
that there's a jumper that selects "power-on buffered mode" which was in
the wrong position.

In trying to track down this problem and get jumper diagrams, I discovered
that Wangtek has at least 3 revs of the (SCSI) circuit board released.
In my case (this may not help you all, since you're using a PC-36), HDR3
PIN 7 needs to be set in the A-B position.  This is for board assy #30600.
For board assys #33671 and #30559, its HDR3, PIN 1.

I hope this is of some value to you and others...

-scott

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (03/09/91)

kobetitsch@picker.com (harry kobetitsch) writes:

>I have a problem with Wangtek 5150 tape drive backups
>running on Interactive UNIX V2.2 . The problem  is that under
>Interactive UNIX I will use the following command:

>	$ find / -print | cpio -ovcdumC12400 >/dev/tape

>The tape drive will back up the complete file system but it will
>take two days to do it because it will not stream.

 I use a Wangtek 5150ES off my 1542B and it runs along quite happily.
I use the following to back up:

find . -print | cpio -ocvBO /dev/tape

and it works great and streams right along (and using . instead of /
allows one to pick and choose file systems or even partial file
systems to back up). I get outstanding rates on the backups, too.
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (03/11/91)

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

>and it works great and streams right along (and using . instead of /
>allows one to pick and choose file systems or even partial file
>systems to back up). I get outstanding rates on the backups, too.

Grant - please define outstanding - I get 6 megabytes per minute -

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (03/13/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>>systems to back up). I get outstanding rates on the backups, too.

>Grant - please define outstanding - I get 6 megabytes per minute -

 I see a little over (6-6.5) megs per minute, which I consider to be
pretty good on this class of machine (ISA 25 Mhz 486, 1542B handling
the WREN 6 and 7 drives and the Wangtek 5150ES). That is much better
than the @1 meg per minute I saw when I had an Archive on a separate
controller (ISA is limiting, don'cha know...).
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a

In article <1991Mar12.205232.3927@bluemoon.uucp> grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

|  I see a little over (6-6.5) megs per minute, which I consider to be
| pretty good on this class of machine (ISA 25 Mhz 486, 1542B handling
| the WREN 6 and 7 drives and the Wangtek 5150ES). That is much better
| than the @1 meg per minute I saw when I had an Archive on a separate
| controller (ISA is limiting, don'cha know...).

  I see about 5MB/min on Archive or Wangtek with a typically fragmented
f/s, using Xenix or ODT on a 486 at 16 or 25 MHz. I get over 6 if I have
an unfragmented f/s. Both systems are ISA, so I don't see any bottleneck there.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX