[comp.unix.sysv386] Esix SYSVR4 upgrade

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (03/15/91)

Well, the word is out on the Esix upgrade from Rev D to SysVr4.

2-user version upgrade:  $399

unlimited user version:  $699
development kit          $275
                          ---
                        $ 974

The new version includes printed documentation and on-line man pages.

... definitely not cheap ...

Let's hope they come out with the uarea bug fix soon, or lots of people
won't be much inclined to invest another $1K on them ...
--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp         The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix

kai@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Kuck And Associates) (03/15/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Well, the word is out on the Esix upgrade from Rev D to SysVr4.
>2-user version upgrade:  $399
>... definitely not cheap ...

Make that $399 for the 2 user base package, PLUS another $275 for the
development kit.  So to upgrade a 2 user development system is $674, which more
than I paid for Rev D.  And they still don't know if they will support the STB
Em16+ (also known as the STB PowerGraph).

They will be selling new (not upgrade) complete (base+dev) packages for $1295
(2 user) and $1895 (unlimited).  Availability is supposed to be "in April".

cgwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles G. Watson) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.232541.8195@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp writes:
>Well, the word is out on the Esix upgrade from Rev D to SysVr4.
>
>2-user version upgrade:  $399
>unlimited user version:  $699
>development kit          $275
>                          ---
>                        $ 974
>
>The new version includes printed documentation and on-line man pages.
>... definitely not cheap ...

To ESIX's credit, *GOD* only knows what AT&T is charging for System V.4
sources + licensing.  Anyone want to fathom a guess of the costs outside of
the normal ~$100k source license??

I have not seen a decently prices V.4 !!anywhere!!.  I would be willing to
invest a good amount of $$$ to see a GNU kernel right now!!

gray

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.232541.8195@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>unlimited user version:  $699
>development kit          $275
>                          ---
>                        $ 974

$974 for the unlimited user upgrade?!  Is this correct?
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

In article <103413@unix.cis.pitt.edu> cgwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles G. Watson) writes:

| To ESIX's credit, *GOD* only knows what AT&T is charging for System V.4
| sources + licensing.  Anyone want to fathom a guess of the costs outside of
| the normal ~$100k source license??

  I believe the total licinese fees for V.4, OpenLook, Motif, multiuser
are right around $400. I was told this by a vendor who sells that combo.

| I have not seen a decently prices V.4 !!anywhere!!.  I would be willing to
| invest a good amount of $$$ to see a GNU kernel right now!!

  I haven't seen one for free, either. But for less than $1k you can get
the Dell, which includes runtime, development, man pages, GNUemacs, MH,
pbmplus, X with all the popular window managers and libraries, etc.

  If you're not looking for "something for nothing" that looks pretty good.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

dhiman@motcid.UUCP (Ravinder Dhiman) (03/18/91)

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

[...Esix SVR4 pricebreakdown deleted...]
>$974 for the unlimited user upgrade?!  Is this correct?

Yeah, that's about right(+/- $10.00); I had seen their anouncement of
SVR4 in Unixworld and called them on (or about) the 13th.
I damn near fell out of my chair when I heard the price.

---
Ravi Dhiman
Motorola, Inc.,
Cellular Infrastructure Group
Disclaimer: Speaking for myself only, not my employer.

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar16.010707.29281@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>$974 for the unlimited user upgrade?!  Is this correct?

Yup, that's what they told me.

--
home:	bill@unixland.uucp         The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
	...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar14.232541.8195@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>unlimited user version:  $699
>development kit          $275
>                          ---
>                        $ 974

I have just talked with our Managment here at Esix. We at this time do not
have any Offical pricing on SYSVR4. It has not even been decided what will
be included with the release. Any prices you see here at this time will not
be very valid. Offically Esix has not set price!
--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.184445.23441@everex.uucp> jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) writes:
>I have just talked with our Managment here at Esix. We at this time do not
>have any Offical pricing on SYSVR4. It has not even been decided what will
>be included with the release. Any prices you see here at this time will not
>be very valid. Offically Esix has not set price!

>Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde

So what can you tell us about SysVr4?  Ie, what 340x0 boards will it support?
X11r4?  Will you offer Motif 1.1 (Openlook and I dont agree)?  Man pages?
REAL sockets?

Ballpark prices would be nice.  Within $500 would work.  I wont hold you
to anything...

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.003844.6916@kessner.denver.co.us> david@kessner.denver.co.us (David D. Kessner) writes:

>So what can you tell us about SysVr4?  Ie, what 340x0 boards will it support?
>X11r4?  Will you offer Motif 1.1 (Openlook and I dont agree)?  Man pages?
>REAL sockets?

Well, the sales person I talked to (who gave me the prices I quoted in my
original article) told me that the SysVr4 product would include mostly what
the Rev D product has -- plus the addition of online man pages and printed
documentation.

But then .. we now know that the sales person gave me wrong info, so I guess
we don't want to count on technical content either.

Maybe Jeff can give us more reliable information.