[comp.unix.sysv386] Trident VGA card

dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) (03/16/91)

Does anyone have any information or experience with a Trident 1MB vga card?
In particular, is it compatible with any of the chipsets supported by
Roell's X386 server?  These seem to be one of the most readily available
and cheapest 1M vga cards in Sydney at the moment (about A$220 => US$170).

Thanks for any information.

David
 David Dawes (dawes@suphys.physics.su.oz.au) DoD#210  | Phone: +61 2 692 2639
 School of Physics, University of Sydney, Australia   | Fax:   +61 2 660 2903

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar16.025919.19599@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:
>Does anyone have any information or experience with a Trident 1MB vga card?
>In particular, is it compatible with any of the chipsets supported by
>Roell's X386 server?

Actually, would it be too much to post (or mail me, if you don't think
there's enough interest) a list of the more popular cards supported by
the Roell server? Most glossy sheets I see about VGA cards don't mention
the chipsets they're based on.

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell) (03/20/91)

>Does anyone have any information or experience with a Trident 1MB vga card?

It's a nice and speedy thing. Almost no problems with any kind of hardware I
tried.

>In particular, is it compatible with any of the chipsets supported by
>Roell's X386 server?  These seem to be one of the most readily available

No, definitely not. Perhaps this board will be supported in a coming release,
but it will still be MUCH slower than an ET4000 board. The reason is the
braindamaged memory-management on TVGA8900 chip.

- Thomas
E-Mail (domain):	 roell@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."