[comp.unix.sysv386] Problem with UUCP all of a sudden...

doug@admiral.uucp (Doug Fields) (03/20/91)

Hi. My incoming uucp logins have all of the sudden died! Here's the problem
from the uulog:

FAILED (BAD LOGIN/MACHINE COMBINATION)

I am running SCO Unix 3.2.2/MC with the security relaxment. All the logins
worked a week or two ago. Please advise anyone... Thanks!

Oh yes... My uucp dialouts still work!

Doug
--
Doug Fields -- 100 Midwood Road, Greenwich, CT 06830 --- (FAX) +1 203 661 2996
uucp: uunet!sir-alan!admiral!doug ------------------------ Thank you sir-alan!

doug@admiral.uucp (Doug Fields) writes:

>Hi. My incoming uucp logins have all of the sudden died! Here's the problem
>from the uulog:

>FAILED (BAD LOGIN/MACHINE COMBINATION)

Looks like your /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions file has gotten hosed.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar20.023140.524@admiral.uucp> doug@admiral.uucp (Doug Fields) writes:
>Hi. My incoming uucp logins have all of the sudden died! Here's the problem
>from the uulog:
>
>FAILED (BAD LOGIN/MACHINE COMBINATION)
>
>I am running SCO Unix 3.2.2/MC with the security relaxment. All the logins
>worked a week or two ago. Please advise anyone... Thanks!
>
>Oh yes... My uucp dialouts still work!

I assume SCO Unix runs HoneyDanBer ...

You have a problem in the /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions file.  You need to
make sure that the "LOGNAME" entry contains the login name which remote
sites use to log into your machine, AND that the "MACHINE" entry contains
a list of their node names, delimited by colons (:).

There is probably an administrators guide to uucp somewhere in your
documentation, which will explain the Permissions file in more detail.
--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au

dlucy@srs.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar20.023140.524@admiral.uucp>, doug@admiral.uucp (Doug Fields) writes:
> Hi. My incoming uucp logins have all of the sudden died!
> All the logins worked a week or two ago.
> Oh yes... My uucp dialouts still work!

Perhaps you've not turned off the password aging for the uucp/nuucp
account. When it's time for a new password, incoming uucico's unknowingly
get the "Your password has expired, please choose another:"

--
: "It's such a fine line between clever..."             :    Doug Lucy :
: "...and stupid."                                      : S&R Software :