[comp.unix.sysv386] Dual ethernet support

deb@audfax.audiofax.com (Deb Jackson) (03/14/91)

Has anyone ever run dual ethernets under ISC2.2?  I've got it
working, but only if I avoid IRQ 7.  (Yes, I turned off lp, and
anything else that wanted to use IRQ 7.)   Does anyone know
why I can't get a WD8003E or 3COM Etherlink II to work at
IRQ 7?  Is this an ISC bug or is there something magical that
one must do for ISC that one doesn't have to do for ESIX?

(Kudos to ESIX on their dual ethernet support -- it all just
works when you install it, rather than having to edit a bunch
of files and grunge around -- unfortunately, we just had to have
faster networking.)

Another question regarding stune parameters -- if anyone has
installed/used dual-ethernets, what did you set your streams
parameters to?   I've tried various incantations -- some work
better than others.   The default parameters for an 8Mb system
allow, count 'em, 0 rlogin sessions to occur.  As the system
is installed (no 8Mb changes from kconfig) about 3 rlogin
sessions can be started until it chokes.   The current settings,
(which came for ISC tech support, but they've never tried this
before and are just sending me what they've got on their single
ethernet, 9Mb system), seem ok, except that periodically, for
no known reason, a stream will hang.  Not exactly something
we can afford.

So, if ANYONE can help, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance,
-deb
--
Deb Jackson, AudioFAX, Inc., Marietta, GA
Audio: (404) 618-4284  Fax(mail): (404) 618-4584  E-mail: deb@audiofax.com

In article <352@audfax.audiofax.com> deb@audfax.audiofax.com (Deb Jackson) writes:
>Has anyone ever run dual ethernets under ISC2.2?  I've got it
>working, but only if I avoid IRQ 7.  (Yes, I turned off lp, and
>anything else that wanted to use IRQ 7.)   Does anyone know
>why I can't get a WD8003E or 3COM Etherlink II to work at
>IRQ 7?  Is this an ISC bug or is there something magical that
>one must do for ISC that one doesn't have to do for ESIX?

You can't use two 3c503 cards; I NEVER did get that to work.

A 3c503 and a WD8003 do work however.  But you have to edit the config files
and /etc/netd.cf yourself.  No big deal, but a small hassle.

>before and are just sending me what they've got on their single
>ethernet, 9Mb system), seem ok, except that periodically, for
>no known reason, a stream will hang.  Not exactly something
>we can afford.

There's a fix for the hanging streams.  I haven't run it long enough to be
sure it really fixes the problem, but it appears to so far.

Posted here 'cause I'm sure others have questions about this problem.  It's
been there since at least 2.0.2 (first one I used TCP/IP heavily with).

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (03/21/91)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>In article <352@audfax.audiofax.com> deb@audfax.audiofax.com (Deb Jackson) writes:
>>Has anyone ever run dual ethernets under ISC2.2?

>You can't use two 3c503 cards; I NEVER did get that to work.

be careful. just because you didn't get that to work that doesn't mean that
it's impossible!

there is a 17 page paper called "setting up a gateway on a 386/ix
system with hdb tcp" by Kevin Haley and John Antypas. on page
three (ff) it goes into detail about installing a second ethernet
board of the *same* type. i won't type in those four pages now,
you should be able to get this doc from ISC. the original
poster should get it also, it tells you everything you need to
setup a gateway.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

In article <1991Mar21.143214.20517@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>
>>In article <352@audfax.audiofax.com> deb@audfax.audiofax.com (Deb Jackson) writes:
>>>Has anyone ever run dual ethernets under ISC2.2?
>
>>You can't use two 3c503 cards; I NEVER did get that to work.
>
>be careful. just because you didn't get that to work that doesn't mean that
>it's impossible!

This is true, but see below.

>there is a 17 page paper called "setting up a gateway on a 386/ix
>system with hdb tcp" by Kevin Haley and John Antypas. on page
>three (ff) it goes into detail about installing a second ethernet
>board of the *same* type. i won't type in those four pages now,
>you should be able to get this doc from ISC. the original
>poster should get it also, it tells you everything you need to
>setup a gateway.

Have YOU done it with two 3c503s?

If not, then I suggest you try.  You'll find that it doesn't work.  ISC has
admitted to this.

I have read, and used, the instructions you mention.  They're in the 2.2 ISC
manuals.  Two WD cards, or one WD and one 3c503 card, work fine.  Two 3c503s
do NOT work.

In any case, you do have to set up the files by hand.

I'm not sure of the reason for the problem but I will note that the 3c503
can use DMA..... and it appears you can't change the DMA channel!  Perhaps
the ISC driver uses that mode (the 503 has three operating modes).

Try it sometime with two 503s.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]
Anon. arch. (nuucp) 00:00-06:00 C[SD]T, req: /u/public/sources/DIRECTORY/README

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (03/27/91)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>In article <1991Mar21.143214.20517@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> I wrote:
>>[that paper] tells you everything you need to setup a gateway.

>Have YOU done it with two 3c503s?

not yet, and it looks like i won't :-)

>If not, then I suggest you try.  You'll find that it doesn't work.  ISC has
>admitted to this.

>I have read, and used, the instructions you mention.  They're in the 2.2 ISC
>manuals.  Two WD cards, or one WD and one 3c503 card, work fine.  Two 3c503s
>do NOT work.

looks like an argument to avoid those cards.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]