[comp.unix.sysv386] Can't access DOS driver c: on ESIX 5.3.2.D using SCSI Drive.

jypeng@netcom.COM (Jian Yuan Peng) (03/23/91)

	I just installed a SCSI(MC1588) 668MB Micropolis drive with AD1542B
card on PC 386 box. The hardware configuration on CMOS was set to
NOT INSTALL.(AD1542B will get it.) I installed DOS4.01 and ESIX 5.3.2.D without
any problems. Then I found that I can access DOS driver A: and B: using mdir or
mcopy commands. I got error when I tried to use drive c:. The error message was
"Unknow physical format or not a DOS disk."  This error can be produced by
using driver A: but don't put diskette into driver.  Can any one tell me what
is wrong?  Thanks!

Oh! One more question: I got 100MB on harddisk not yet assigned to UNIX or DOS.
How can I assign this 100BM disk space into UNIX file systems(like mount it on
/user3)?
	Thanks again!

--
/_______________________________________________________\
|		   A Midnight NewsReader		|

seg@segpc.UUCP (Scott E. Garfinkle) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar23.080102.3842@netcom.COM> jypeng@netcom.COM (Jian Yuan Peng) writes:

>I got error when I tried to use drive c:. The error message was
>"Unknow physical format or not a DOS disk."
You don't say what version of DOS, or how large your DOS partition is.  If
the partition is > 32 mb, you're probably out of luck (with off the shelf
versions of mdir, etc.).  If the partition is <= 32 mb, you need a patch
from Esix.  Call them.

>Oh! One more question: I got 100MB on harddisk not yet assigned to UNIX or DOS.
>How can I assign this 100BM disk space into UNIX file systems(like mount it on
>/user3)?
You can't.

	-scott e. garfinkle

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (03/25/91)

In article <152@segpc.UUCP>, seg@segpc.UUCP (Scott E. Garfinkle) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar23.080102.3842@netcom.COM> jypeng@netcom.COM (Jian Yuan Peng) writes:
|> >
|> >I got error when I tried to use drive c:. The error message was
|> >"Unknow physical format or not a DOS disk."
|> You don't say what version of DOS, or how large your DOS partition is.  If
|> the partition is > 32 mb, you're probably out of luck (with off the shelf
|> versions of mdir, etc.).  If the partition is <= 32 mb, you need a patch
|> from Esix.  Call them.
|>
|> >Oh! One more question: I got 100MB on harddisk not yet assigned to UNIX or DOS.
|> >How can I assign this 100BM disk space into UNIX file systems(like mount it on
|> >/user3)?
|> You can't.
Shouldn't you be able to just create a Unix partition with FDISK (don't make
it active!) and access it via /dev/{r}dsk/0p3 if it were the third partition.
Naturally you'd have to do a 'mkfs' with the correct parms on it. I tried the
same thing on a 660MB SCSI drive that moved from 1st to 2nd (when I put a 1.2GB
drive online). Since the DOS space was not needed anymore I deleted the first
two partitions on the second drive (70MB) and tried to create a UNIX partition
instead. Unfortunately the UNIX FDISK screwed up on that one and I haven't
bothered using the Norton Utilities yet.

For ISC's ears:
On a secondary SCSI drive, FDISK was started via 'fdisk /dev/rdsk/1p0'.
The partition table contained two empty slots, the third was filled with
an active UNIX partition, the fourth was empty again. There were about
70MB left on the device and I tried to create a (second) UNIX partition
intended to be mountable as some file system. I didn't let FDISK write the
changed boot block to the disk, because I didn't want it trashed, but from
what I could see, entry 1 was correct, entry 3 was replicated in entry 2 and
perhaps entry 4.

:-< tom
--
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP

patrick@whistle.kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (03/27/91)

jypeng@netcom.COM (Jian Yuan Peng) writes:
>Then I found that I can access DOS driver A: and B: using mdir or
>mcopy commands. I got error when I tried to use drive c:.

Mdir and friends as supplied with Esix expect /dev/rdsk/0s5 to be the dos
partition.  If the DOS "fdisk" programs shows partition 3 on your first hard
disk to be your DOS partition, you should be okay.  You may have to "su" and
change owner and/or permissions on the device (Esix creates them with mode
0600, owner root).

A better idea is to get the source to the whole mtools package via anonymous
ftp to cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).  If you try this, beware the broken
ftp server at that site (it likes to silently truncate files).  You have to
manually check that the files you receive are the correct size.  Trying a
second time usually works.

Once you have the source code, edit "devices.c" and define which DOS device
letters you want to be which unix devices.  I don't know if the mtools programs
correctly handle extended partitions.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a "packdisk" utility which lets you write a
bunch of files to one or more DOS diskettes, packing each diskette as
efficiently as possible.   It's written in perl, and requires you have the
mtools package source code.  Send email if you want a copy.

	Patrick Wolfe
	Internet:  patrick@whistle.kai.com
	UUCP:      uunet!kailand!whistle!patrick

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar23.080102.3842@netcom.COM: jypeng@netcom.COM (Jian Yuan Peng) writes:
:
:	I just installed a SCSI(MC1588) 668MB Micropolis drive with AD1542B
:card on PC 386 box. The hardware configuration on CMOS was set to
:NOT INSTALL.(AD1542B will get it.) I installed DOS4.01 and ESIX 5.3.2.D without
:any problems. Then I found that I can access DOS driver A: and B: using mdir or
:mcopy commands. I got error when I tried to use drive c:. The error message was
:"Unknow physical format or not a DOS disk."  This error can be produced by
:using driver A: but don't put diskette into driver.  Can any one tell me what
:is wrong?  Thanks!

I'll take a stab at this since no one else has replied. The problem is
DOS 4.01. When Microsoft moved from DOS 3.3 to DOS 4.0 they changed the
FAT table entries from 12 bits to 16 bits in order to support huge DOS
partitions. The Unix world hasn't caught up with this yet. Go back and
install DOS 3.3 instead and everything will work correctly.

Gary