[comp.unix.sysv386] New Logitech "Mouseman" fails on ISC 2.2.1

tima@bcs800.UUCP (Tim Addington) (03/21/91)

We just purchased some Logitech mice to use on ISC 2.2.1.  The are the
new Logitech "Mouseman" product which is supposedly ergonomic and hi-res.
This mouse is sold as either Left-Handed or Right-Handed and is angled
to the left or right depending on which flavor you get.

This is the only Logitech mouse that we can buy from our regular supplier
now.  Apparently, this mouse replaces the standard C-9 mouse which seems
to works fine with ISC X-window product.

This problem has already been reported to ISC and they are checking into
it.

Just thought that I would warn anyone who might be about to buy one of these
critters that it won't work.
--
|  Tim Addington                       |   Opinions expressed here are mine   |
|  Brock Control Systems               |    and in no way reflect those of    |

root@Topsail.ORG (Chuck Murcko) (03/24/91)

Mouseman (serial at least) speaks Microsoft 3 byte protocol, except for the
middle button, which has 4 byte down/up sequence. You should be able to use
the mouse as Microsoft, anyway, even though you give up the middle button.
--
Chuck Murcko   The Topsail Group   538 E. Church Rd., Elkins Park, PA 19117
Internet: cmurcko@topsail.Topsail.ORG

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (03/25/91)

tima@bcs800.UUCP (Tim Addington) writes:

>We just purchased some Logitech mice to use on ISC 2.2.1.  The are the
>new Logitech "Mouseman" product which is supposedly ergonomic and hi-res.
>This mouse is sold as either Left-Handed or Right-Handed and is angled
>to the left or right depending on which flavor you get.

 Those were a pretty bad idea, IMHO. The C9 was pretty good as it was.
BTW, if you need something that works and works great get the Logitech
Trackman. The system thinks it is a C9 mouse, and once you get used to
it you will never want to use an upside down trackball (IE a mouse...)
again...
--
\  Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant  /
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (03/25/91)

This happened to me, too, and gave me quite a chuckle when I figgered it
out.  Guess what?  The new Logitech "Mouseman" mouse is *not*
Logitech-compatible!  That's right, it emulates a *Microsoft* mouse!  Oh,
you want to use all three buttons?  Well, the thing comes with all these
nifty drivers for Windows, Lotus 1-2-3, etc. etc. but if you're not running
MooShi-DOS, you're stuck with two buttons!

Fortunately, Egghead Software took back the Mouseman and still had a Series
9 in stock.

Looks like Logitech has been taken over by cretins...
--
Larry Campbell             The Boston Software Works, Inc., 120 Fulton Street
campbell@redsox.bsw.com    Boston, Massachusetts 02109 (USA)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (03/26/91)

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes, in response to an article
complaining that Logitech Mouseman isn't compatible with C9:
> This happened to me, too, and gave me quite a chuckle when I figgered it
> out.  Guess what?  The new Logitech "Mouseman" mouse is *not*
> Logitech-compatible!  That's right, it emulates a *Microsoft* mouse!  Oh,
> you want to use all three buttons?  Well, the thing comes with all these
> nifty drivers for Windows, Lotus 1-2-3, etc. etc. but if you're not running
> MooShi-DOS, you're stuck with two buttons!

*sigh*!

This is all too common in DOSland.  To PC hardware manufacturers, "hardware
compatible" means "compatible at the BIOS level, maybe, if you install our
DOS driver."  While there's an advantage in the manufacturer being able to
change the hardware if it must, yet keep compatibility by modifying the
driver, it allows (encourages?) gratuitous changes.  It also means that for
any OS other than DOS (a concept not grasped by a lot of little manufac-
turers:-), you get to wait until somebody writes or modifies an existing
driver.  And, of course, this increases the cost of software.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   The Official Colorado State Vegetable is now the "state legislator".

jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar25.035729.7963@bluemoon.uucp>, grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

>  Those were a pretty bad idea, IMHO. The C9 was pretty good as it was.
> BTW, if you need something that works and works great get the Logitech
> Trackman. The system thinks it is a C9 mouse, and once you get used to
> it you will never want to use an upside down trackball (IE a mouse...)
> again...

Agreed.  Our second Trackman just arrived today.
It did take some getting used to, and
your thumb will be sore for a while, but I can be much more accurate
with the Trackman.

--jim
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651