[comp.unix.sysv386] Western Digital Ethernet Cards

grant@gouche.UUCP (Grant Munsey) (03/21/91)

I am about to set up an ethernet/nfs network 'twixt a 386
running ISC2.2 and a NeXT '040 slab. I don't have an ethernet card
yet so I was thinking of getting a Western Digital Ethercard Plus Elite16
Combo card. I see in the ISC2.2 docs that they support WD Ethercard Plus.
Anybody know if the WD Ethercard Plus Elite16 is compatible. Anybody running
with this card using its 10baseT connector. I have a Adaptec 1542b,
Orchid Prodesigner II vga and AST 4 port cards in the 386 right now. Any
known hangups with adding the WD card to this setup?
--
Grant Munsey, Mainticore, Inc. (408) 733-3838
grant@gouche.portal.com  or  {uunet!opusys,decwrl!apple!portal}!gouche!grant

himes@virga.ucar.edu (dave himes) (03/21/91)

I've heard that there are some supplemental ethernet drivers that
didn't make it into the original distribution for ISC 2.2.1.
Included in this supplement is a  driver for the WD 16 bit board.
Our package is "in the mail"...

--

David Himes                            himes@ncar.ucar.edu
UCAR-COMET

Michael Squires <mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> (03/21/91)

(mail bounced)

In article <211@gouche.UUCP> grant@gouche.UUCP (Grant Munsey) writes:
>I am about to set up an ethernet/nfs network 'twixt a 386
  stuff deleted
>with this card using its 10baseT connector. I have a Adaptec 1542b,
>Orchid Prodesigner II vga and AST 4 port cards in the 386 right now. Any
>known hangups with adding the WD card to this setup?

I tried briefly to use a WD8013 with an Orchid ProDesigner II; it failed to
boot DOS (controller was a WD1007V).  Replacing it with an Oak got the system
to boot.  I tried various configurations but nothing seemd to work; I assume
that I need to move the WD memory out of the Orchid Pro II region but got bored
before I tried that out.

On the positive side I've found the WD cards to be super reliable; we use
the 8-bit version here in large numbers.  This message is being entered
on a 486/25 using a WD8003EPR under SCO ODT 1.0, and the WD is very solid.
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (03/22/91)

himes@virga.ucar.edu (dave himes) writes:

>I've heard that there are some supplemental ethernet drivers that
>didn't make it into the original distribution for ISC 2.2.1.
>Included in this supplement is a  driver for the WD 16 bit board.
>Our package is "in the mail"...

the info i have says that ISC's "Network Driver Subset 1.0"
supports

- Western Digital - WD8003 and WD8013 (PC/AT and MCA bus)
- Racal Interlan - NI5210, NI9210 and NI6510
- 3COM - 3C523
- Novell - NE200

as well as IEEE 802.2 Token Ring with WD8005 and WD8015 cards.

NDS 1.0 requires ISC TCP/IP 1.2.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar21.112012.17880@news.cs.indiana.edu> mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) writes:
>(mail bounced)
>
>I tried briefly to use a WD8013 with an Orchid ProDesigner II; it failed to
>boot DOS (controller was a WD1007V).  Replacing it with an Oak got the system
>to boot.

I have one of the earlier (and now unavailable) WD8013EB 16-bit interface
Network Adapter cards in an Everex 486is that runs MS-DOS (4.01) and has an
Orchid ProDesigner II and an Adaptec 2322 ESDI controller card.  I works great.
HOWEVER, the WD8013EB differs from the WD8013EP (the *current* version of the
card) in that it is loaded with jumpers that let you select the IRQ and I/O
address from the full range of choices.  This is in contrast to the EP version
which permits only a couple of selections with jumpers and the remainder only
via software selection.  And my supplier didn't send the software (and I
won't be buying any more from *them*)

>On the positive side I've found the WD cards to be super reliable; we use
>the 8-bit version here in large numbers.

Agreed!  If the EP version is all that's available I may have to revert to
the WD8003 (8-bit) version to retain the jumper selectability I need.

(help *) KEITHE()

PS - our purchasing department is suggesting we not purchase WD products
     any more because of the company's shaky financial condition.  But I'm
     persisting because I really feel like they're the best deal when it
     comes to ethernet controllers (but not disk controllers - give me Adaptec
     any day).

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.135315.4579@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>himes@virga.ucar.edu (dave himes) writes:
>
>>I've heard that there are some supplemental ethernet drivers that
>>didn't make it into the original distribution for ISC 2.2.1.
>>Included in this supplement is a  driver for the WD 16 bit board.
>>Our package is "in the mail"...
>
>the info i have says that ISC's "Network Driver Subset 1.0"
>supports
>
>- Western Digital - WD8003 and WD8013 (PC/AT and MCA bus)
>- Racal Interlan - NI5210, NI9210 and NI6510
>- 3COM - 3C523
>- Novell - NE200
>
>as well as IEEE 802.2 Token Ring with WD8005 and WD8015 cards.
>
>NDS 1.0 requires ISC TCP/IP 1.2.

Just a note on this package, if you are using a slip and install any
of these drivers, the slip will NOT work anymore.  I have reported it
to ISC and am waiting for a response.

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (03/25/91)

In article <9190@sail.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>I have one of the earlier (and now unavailable) WD8013EB 16-bit interface
>Network Adapter cards in an Everex 486is that runs MS-DOS (4.01) and has an
>Orchid ProDesigner II and an Adaptec 2322 ESDI controller card.  I works great.
>HOWEVER, the WD8013EB differs from the WD8013EP (the *current* version of the
>card) in that it is loaded with jumpers that let you select the IRQ and I/O
>address from the full range of choices.  This is in contrast to the EP version
>which permits only a couple of selections with jumpers and the remainder only
>via software selection.  And my supplier didn't send the software (and I
>won't be buying any more from *them*)

WD ships the setup program with each package.  Your supplier must be repackaging
and leaving this out.  If so, definitely find a new vendor since the boards
are next to useless with the limited settings.  With the DOS setup program
the boards are very nice.

>>On the positive side I've found the WD cards to be super reliable; we use
>>the 8-bit version here in large numbers.

We've still got some very early versions of the boards running here.  The newer
ones seem just as reliable.

>Agreed!  If the EP version is all that's available I may have to revert to
>the WD8003 (8-bit) version to retain the jumper selectability I need.

I would get a new distributor and not give up on the newer boards.  The settings
are retained by the board so you only need to set them when they need to
change.  Once you get the setup program (from a better distributor) you
won't have problems.

>PS - our purchasing department is suggesting we not purchase WD products
>     any more because of the company's shaky financial condition.  But I'm
>     persisting because I really feel like they're the best deal when it
>     comes to ethernet controllers (but not disk controllers - give me Adaptec
>     any day).

The trade press has been carrying rumors of the WD LAN division being up for
sale.  Apparently WD needs to raise some money so selling off a successful
division (that makes boards) to help the main business (which isn't making
add-on boards) is what they are considering.  SMC is the name that keeps
popping up as potential buyer.

ISC will have full driver support for the EP in the near future.

Doug McCallum
Interactive Systems Corp.
dougm@ico.isc.com

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (03/28/91)

In article <9190@sail.LABS.TEK.COM>, keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar21.112012.17880@news.cs.indiana.edu> mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) writes:
|> >(mail bounced)
|> >
|> >I tried briefly to use a WD8013 with an Orchid ProDesigner II; it failed to
|> >boot DOS (controller was a WD1007V).  Replacing it with an Oak got the system
|> >to boot.
16-bit BIOS problem?

|> I have one of the earlier (and now unavailable) WD8013EB 16-bit interface
|> Network Adapter cards in an Everex 486is that runs MS-DOS (4.01) and has an
|> Orchid ProDesigner II and an Adaptec 2322 ESDI controller card.  I works great.
|> HOWEVER, the WD8013EB differs from the WD8013EP (the *current* version of the
|> card) in that it is loaded with jumpers that let you select the IRQ and I/O
|> address from the full range of choices.  This is in contrast to the EP version
|> which permits only a couple of selections with jumpers and the remainder only
|> via software selection.  And my supplier didn't send the software (and I
|> won't be buying any more from *them*)

I got the software with it allright. However the documentation offers to clues as
to whether the IRQ-I/O address settings selected with the software are stored in
some kind of EEPROM or forgotten as soon as the machine is shut off. The former
would be ok for Unix use, the latter pretty inconvenient. Does anybody know?

-- tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET

himes@virga.ucar.edu (dave himes) (03/31/91)

Doug McCallum writes:

> ............ Bunch of stuff deleted .................
>
>ISC will have full driver support for the EP in the near future.
>
>Doug McCallum
>Interactive Systems Corp.
>dougm@ico.isc.com

What do you mean by full support?

I've received some supplemental network drivers for ico 2.2.1 that
support the "WD EtherCard Plus" family of network cards;  this
includes the 8013ep ("EtherCard Plus Elite16 is what my package says)
and the WD Token Ring card.

My question is, I didn't really notice any performance improvements over
the 8bit board.  The tests I ran where just "timed" rcp's, ftp's and
nfs copy's from a SparcStation 2 to a Dell 325.  The transfer rates where
nearly identical for both the 8bit board and the 16bit board.  The only
benefit that I could see is that the 16bit WD card allowed me to use
8k rsize and wsize's on the "mounts" where the 8bit card could only
handle a 4k rsize and wsize (and I attributed that to more memory on
the 16bit card).

Are there further driver improvements yet to be made to the WD drivers or
are the drivers getting the most out of the 16bit board.

--

David Himes                            himes@ncar.ucar.edu
UCAR-COMET
Boulder, CO

himes@virga.ucar.edu (dave himes) (03/31/91)

>I got the software with it allright. However the documentation offers to clues as
>to whether the IRQ-I/O address settings selected with the software are stored in
>some kind of EEPROM or forgotten as soon as the machine is shut off. The former
>would be ok for Unix use, the latter pretty inconvenient. Does anybody know?
>
>-- tom
>----

The software selected setting are stored in "on-board, non-volatile"
memory (quoted from the document that came with one of the 8bit cards).
We have several of the programmable boards in use right now, all are in
Unix systems.

It's quite convenient;  I use a bootable DOS diskette with the
WD setup program on it to configure the boards.  It only takes a moment.