[comp.unix.sysv386] What's wrong with SCO Unix

dvb@emisle.emisle (David Van Beveren) (03/26/91)

There has been a lot of talk about how horrible SCO Unix really is compared to
other PC Unixes. I have used ISC for 2+years and am relatively happy. Today a
customer told me he wants to order SCO. My first thought was OH NO, its full
of bugs, and generally horrible. Then I started thinking, and realized I don't
know what these bugs really are, if they exist at all.

Please send me descriptions of all SCO bugs you know about. I want to know how
bad this product really is. Also, if you think it is great, let me know. I hope
I get lots of mail on this one. I will give it a week, then post my findings.
Please, give me some dirt I can use to convince my customer to get ISC. I know
it is what I want, I just don't know why :-)

send to either address below. Thanks in advance
--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (03/26/91)

One more thing regarding SCO bugs. Also, tell me anything good or bad you
think of this product, For example, I heard it doens't support X11R4 or Motif
1.1. Is this true? this is a big issue. Non-compatibility with other OS/s is
also an issue. Fire away. Please mail rather than post, unless you think your
dirt is slimy enough everyone should know NOW. Like I said, I will summarize
and post.

--

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (03/27/91)

dvb@emisle.emisle (David Van Beveren) writes:
>Please send me descriptions of all SCO bugs you know about. I want to know how
>bad this product really is.
>David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
                                                                  ^^^^^^^
								  ^^^^^^^
Pardon my suspicion, but might I ask:  do you now or are you ever planning
to submit such information to the higher-ups at Interactive?  Seems to me
that Interactive would love to have such survey information, all for free.

-rich

In article <7069@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

| >David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^
| Pardon my suspicion, but might I ask:  do you now or are you ever planning
| to submit such information to the higher-ups at Interactive?  Seems to me
| that Interactive would love to have such survey information, all for free.

  Want to read that address again? Try ism.isc.com!emisle!dvb format.
The poster may or may not be working for ISC, but the machine is not in
their domain, it just feeds off their internet machine.

  Note I don't claim anything other than you're reading something into
it which may not be there. Lots of uucp addresses are
node!user@uunet.uu.net because they're well connected, too.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (03/27/91)

In article <7069@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>dvb@emisle.emisle (David Van Beveren) writes:
>>Please send me descriptions of all SCO bugs you know about. I want to know how
>>bad this product really is.
>>David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
>                                                                  ^^^^^^^
>								  ^^^^^^^
>Pardon my suspicion, but might I ask:  do you now or are you ever planning
>to submit such information to the higher-ups at Interactive?  Seems to me
>that Interactive would love to have such survey information, all for free.
>
>-rich

Actually, I have received about 20 responses so far. 85% are either positive
or mixed (positives and negatives) in nature. My only connection to isc is for
use as a usenet feed. I will summarize and post when the responses stop coming
in en-masse. Thank you to everyone who has responded so far -- I am starting
to think this SCO is not so bad as one might suspect. Either that or the
supporters are more enthusiastic than the detractors. Kind of like OpenWindows.
( :-) )

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb
voice: (818) 587-1247

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (03/31/91)

I've gotten several criticisms for my posting inquiring about the identity
of the person quoted below, and I'd like to set the record straight.
Unfortunately the tongue-in-cheek nature of my posting didn't come across
at all; netnews can't possibly read the expression of one's face as a posting
is made, it only quotes the verbal statements made.

In my own defense, I'd like to re-quote the original article and ask
just how professional it really seems.  It was basically a presumptive
attack on SCO, and my posting--contrary to some of the complaints I've
received--was intended to deter unwarranted attacks on vendors.  I say
it was presumptive because the writer states he's not an SCO user himself.
Having been challenged before whenever I've criticized software that I've
not personally used, I've posted a challenge to this writer.

And I think a good healthy dose of skepticism *is* warranted whenever
information of interest to corporate marketing departments is posted or
requested on the Internet.  The Internet's mandate is to provide a free
flow of information necessary for the research environment.  Conflicting
with that goal is a need for security of information within the real-world
business environment.  The only way for Usenet/Internet to prosper is to
balance these needs carefully.

It's my assertion that the posting below showed blatant disregard for
the ideals of the Internet, as I've interpreted them.  Naturally, people
are free to disagree with my presumptions regarding these ideals.  At the
very least, I have to admit that I was offended when I first read the
posting, even though I'm no particular fan of SCO (after all, I have to
*use* it every day!)

-rich