[comp.unix.sysv386] Which UNIX?

Brian_C_McBee@cup.portal.com (09/10/90)

I am pondering buying a 386 machine on which to run UNIX, and I am wondering
which UNIX I should buy.  ESIX certainly looks like the least expensive SYS V,
but what am I giving up if I go with it?  I will probably be using the machine
for software developement, and to run a Public Access Unix.  Will DOS-Merge
or something similar run under Esix?  Does the TCP/IP include SLIP?  Should
I just say f*ck it and spend the extra money for SCO?  Any and all horror
stories appreciated.

su11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen H. Underwood) (09/10/90)

I worked at a company for about 2 years that used nothing but SCO for
it's unix, and while there I ported/attempted to port quite a few
standard unix programs.  In general I found that the system was awful,,
laden with kludges, and a lot of standard packages contain disclaimer
lines in them that say "If you are attempting to port this to Xenix,
good luck, and tell us if you get it to work."

When I purchased my own system, I desided tro try Esix.  The support is
not quite as good as the support you can buy from SCO, but it's free,
and most of us can't afford to buy a support licence.  The operating
system in general was MUCH more compatable with sysv on the whole, and I
was able to port even the most difficult package with relative ease.

What you give up are on line man pages, a little memory, and some disk
space, as it's not quite as tight as SCO.  Also the manuals will cost
you some if you don't have access to Unix manuals from elsewhere.  And
you have to give up the "brand name" of xenix.

On the other hand you don't have to give up a large application base, as
you can run xenix binaries on an Esix system, and can install most Xenix
application packages on Esix (anything that does not require a kernel
rebuild.)  Personally I would rather be running Esix than Xenix, even if
they cost the same.

(diskclaimer - I don't work for Esix, and don't know anyone who does, I
just like their product.)
Stephen H. Underwood                 The Heechee          The Nephron
su11@andrew.cmu.edu         "The colliflour has nothing to say to you."

oscar@eismond.uucp (Carsten Tschach) (09/12/90)

Brian_C_McBee@cup.portal.com writes:

>I am pondering buying a 386 machine on which to run UNIX, and I am wondering
>which UNIX I should buy.  ESIX certainly looks like the least expensive SYS V,
>but what am I giving up if I go with it?  I will probably be using the machine
>for software developement, and to run a Public Access Unix.  Will DOS-Merge
>or something similar run under Esix?  Does the TCP/IP include SLIP?  Should
>I just say f*ck it and spend the extra money for SCO?  Any and all horror

Nooooooooooo, not SCO - it's so buggy !!!
Just try Interactive Version 2.2 - I thought it is much better !

--
     "Suddenly there comes a blinding flash....and then comes OSCAR !"

 INTERNET: tschach@kristall.chemie.fu-berlin.dbp.de
     UUCP: oscar@eismond.uucp    ...!unido!tmpmbx!einoed!eismond!oscar

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) (09/16/90)

As quoted from <C0CJ1QF@eismond.uucp> by oscar@eismond.uucp (Carsten Tschach):
+---------------
| Brian_C_McBee@cup.portal.com writes:
|
| >or something similar run under Esix?  Does the TCP/IP include SLIP?  Should
| >I just say f*ck it and spend the extra money for SCO?  Any and all horror
|
| Nooooooooooo, not SCO - it's so buggy !!!
| Just try Interactive Version 2.2 - I thought it is much better !
+---------------

Never mind "buggy" --- SCO UNIX has C2-much [ ;-) ] security for most users.
ESPECIALLY on a public access site, unless you plan to be a fascist sysadmin.
("Fascist"?  Not even Hitler was as bad as C2 security can be --- and
configuring it is a major pain, even with the sysadmsh.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR/KT on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/17/90)

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) writes:
> Never mind "buggy" --- SCO UNIX has C2-much [ ;-) ] security for most users.
> ESPECIALLY on a public access site, unless you plan to be a fascist sysadmin.
> ("Fascist"?  Not even Hitler was as bad as C2 security can be --- and
> configuring it is a major pain, even with the sysadmsh.)

Huh?  When you install SCO Unix, you are given the choice of whether
or not you want C2 security enabled.  Even if you choose "yes", you
can still disable it later on.  Use the /etc/relax command.

Note that once you go from C2->regular, you may not be able to get
back to C2 without reinstalling the system, though.

--
Marc Unangst               | "da-DE-DA: I am sorry, the country you have
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | dialed is not in service.  Please check the

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) (09/19/90)

As quoted from <5J9LP1w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> by mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst):
+---------------
| allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) writes:
| > Never mind "buggy" --- SCO UNIX has C2-much [ ;-) ] security for most users.
| > ESPECIALLY on a public access site, unless you plan to be a fascist sysadmin.
| > ("Fascist"?  Not even Hitler was as bad as C2 security can be --- and
| > configuring it is a major pain, even with the sysadmsh.)
|
| Huh?  When you install SCO Unix, you are given the choice of whether
| or not you want C2 security enabled.  Even if you choose "yes", you
| can still disable it later on.  Use the /etc/relax command.
+---------------

You missed a thread from about a month ago.  I *have* relaxed security; I
installed it that way.  Unfortunately, this didn't stop it from screaming
about security violations when I attempted to add a new shell to the sysadmsh
list of configurable login shells.  Among other things.

++Brandon
--

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/21/90)

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) writes:
> You missed a thread from about a month ago.  I *have* relaxed security; I
> installed it that way.  Unfortunately, this didn't stop it from screaming
> about security violations when I attempted to add a new shell to the sysadmsh
> list of configurable login shells.  Among other things.

Oh, you use sysadmsh.  That explains a lot.

One thing I learned is the first month of ODT is to stay as far away
from sysadmsh as possible.  I do most modifications to the password
database by editing the authentication files under /tcb/files/auth,
the /etc/passwd file, and the various files under /etc/auth.
/tcb/bin/authck is useful for checking that I didn't forget a file
somewhere along the line and that everything checks out.

sysadmsh may be good for the novice sysadmin who doesn't know a
password file from device driver.  But it's an absolute pain in the
ass when you know what you're doing, and need to get it done quickly
and efficiently.

--

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (09/22/90)

}
}Oh, you use sysadmsh.  That explains a lot.
}
}One thing I learned is the first month of ODT is to stay as far away
}from sysadmsh as possible.  I do most modifications to the password
}database by editing the authentication files under /tcb/files/auth,
}the /etc/passwd file, and the various files under /etc/auth.
}/tcb/bin/authck is useful for checking that I didn't forget a file
}somewhere along the line and that everything checks out.
}
}sysadmsh may be good for the novice sysadmin who doesn't know a
}password file from device driver.  But it's an absolute pain in the

Amen. It only took me 2 minutes to figure out I really didn't like sysadmsh
when it wouldn't let me have my usual login id. "sl" is only two characters
long and it wanted a minimum of three. It didn't take too long to find the
spots to fix :-)

--
Stuart Lynne	Unifax Communications Inc.
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl@wimsey.bc.ca

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (09/22/90)

As quoted from <gL3TP2w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> by mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst):
+---------------
| allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) writes:
| > You missed a thread from about a month ago.  I *have* relaxed security; I
| > installed it that way.  Unfortunately, this didn't stop it from screaming
| > about security violations when I attempted to add a new shell to the sysadmsh
| > list of configurable login shells.  Among other things.
|
| Oh, you use sysadmsh.  That explains a lot.
+---------------

Understand, please, that I do *not* use sysadmsh when I can find the
documentation to do it otherwise.  I *do*, however, work for a VAR... and
value-added, for us, includes adding things to the system.  And we don't
expect our (generally small) clients to understand UNIX well enough to hack
around with the raw system.  And ESPECIALLY not with C2 security!

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN
America OnLine: KB8JRR			    AMPR: KB8JRR.AmPR.ORG [44.70.4.88]
uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery    Delphi: ALLBERY

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (09/24/90)

In <gL3TP2w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>sysadmsh may be good for the novice sysadmin who doesn't know a
>password file from device driver.  But it's an absolute pain in the
>ass when you know what you're doing, and need to get it done quickly
>and efficiently.

I couldn't have said it better. Comment of one of my colleagues:
"Correct!"

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixdorf.com	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/26/90)

su11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen H. Underwood) writes:
> I worked at a company for about 2 years that used nothing but SCO for
> it's unix, and while there I ported/attempted to port quite a few
> standard unix programs.  In general I found that the system was awful,,
> laden with kludges, and a lot of standard packages contain disclaimer
> lines in them that say "If you are attempting to port this to Xenix,
> good luck, and tell us if you get it to work."

There's a difference between SCO Unix and SCO Xenix.  Xenix is an
awful almost-Unix clone from Microsoft.  SCO Unix is a product that,
with the replacement and/or removal of some of its "features" (my
personal suggestions are replacing MMDF with Smail 3.1.19, and making
it possible to turn off the C2 security and replace it with the normal
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files), is a fine OS.  When SCO
Unix 3.2 v2 finally comes out, I think they should have most of the
bugs fixed...

The shop where I work sells both ESIX and SCO stuff, and I can tell
you that I prefer SCO Unix to ESIX.

--

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (09/26/90)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> Xenix is an
> awful almost-Unix clone from Microsoft.

Wrong.  Xenix is a port of *REAL UNIX*(TM) by Microsoft.
To quote the build program from C News:

	v7	Version 7 (4.1BSD is pretty close, ditto Xenix)

Now, if Henry Spencer thinks that Xenix is pretty close to v7 functionalilty,
that's good enough for me!

And v7 is, after all, the One True Unix.

So: Xenix is a port of Unix (v7 and Sys III kernels have variously been
used as the porting base for different versions of Xenix, I think) and
it behaves enough like v7 for most applications.  This means it's an
"almost-Unix clone" ?  Sorry.  No.  Wrong answer.

Now, it is true that some of the Xenix utilities are <expletive deleted>
like the Microsoft C Compiler (barf!) -- calling it a C compiler may be a
little ambitious, but you can change that, can't you?  e.g. I use the GNU C
compiler myself.

To bring a little relevance to this newsgroup, it might be useful
to remind Mr Unangst that a modern Xenix (since he did mention SCO's name)
in SCO Xenix 386 of the current variety will acutally execute System V/386
COFF binaries as well as Xenix 86, 286 *and* 386 ones of assorted kinds.
Indeed, with the latest maintenance supplement, cpio(1) *IS* the exact
same COFF binary that SCO ship with their System V/386.

Xenix, SCO and Microsoft may well have problems, but "Xenix not being
Unix" isn't one of them.  Please stop, desist and refrain from spreading
misinformation.  Thank you and good morning.
--
   ronald@robobar.co.uk | +44 81 991 1142 (O) | +44 71 229 7741 (H) | YELL!
   "Nothing sucks like a VAX"   --   confirmed after recent radiator burst!

>There's a difference between SCO Unix and SCO Xenix.  Xenix is an
>awful almost-Unix clone from Microsoft.

A clone with some tissue from the original, given that the original
Xenix started with V7 UNIX from AT&T, and had other AT&T code from S3
and S5 put into later releases - it's *NOT* a from-scratch look-alike.

wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (09/28/90)

In article <wauvR4q00Vor43q0VZ@andrew.cmu.edu> su11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephen H. Underwood) writes:
>I worked at a company for about 2 years that used nothing but SCO for
>it's unix, and while there I ported/attempted to port quite a few
>standard unix programs.  In general I found that the system was awful,,
>laden with kludges, and a lot of standard packages contain disclaimer
>lines in them that say "If you are attempting to port this to Xenix,
>good luck, and tell us if you get it to work."

Well, since you have confused UNIX and Xenix, in the above. Can you make
the same claim about SCO UNIX and ESIX. SCO UNIX and SCO XENIX are not
the same animal.

--
Wain Dobson, Vancouver, B.C.
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!seac!wain

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (09/28/90)

>>There's a difference between SCO Unix and SCO Xenix.  Xenix is an
>>awful almost-Unix clone from Microsoft.
>
>A clone with some tissue from the original, given that the original
>Xenix started with V7 UNIX from AT&T, and had other AT&T code from S3
>and S5 put into later releases - it's *NOT* a from-scratch look-alike.

Perhaps not, but from the gratuitous differences and misfeatures, it
sure did a good job of looking like a bastard-clone the few times I
tried porting something to it.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

inkari@batgirl.hut.fi (Juha Inkari) (09/29/90)

I am thinking of buying a 386 (svr4?) unix,
which ones are there and price/performance
information would be appreciated.

(Replies could be mailed, and Ill post a summary)

Thanks,
--
/* Juha Inkari inkari@batgirl.hut.fi */

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/03/91)

Seeking advice which (whose) UNIX to run on a recently received
A.L.R. "BusinessVEISA" 486 box (25 MHz, 40 Meg HD, currently using only
DOS 3.21), soon to be outfitted with both a WD 8-bit Ethernet card and
an antique HP 82973A HP-IL Interface card.

Cost is important -- the lower the better -- as is size -- the smaller the
better -- but I also want to avoid gotcha's involving the two add-in cards.

Best mail me direct as  fejlinton@attmail.com  or  fejlinton@mcimail.com .
On sufficient request, I'll summarize here in a month.  Thanks *very* much!

-- Fred