[comp.unix.sysv386] Does Dell ship manuals with SVR4?

iverson@xstor.com (Tim Iverson) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar24.181115.5476@athena.mit.edu> vinnie@athena.mit.edu writes:
>    I have an ISA 486 system with Dell SVR4 installed [...]
> [...] , but I don't have a manual set for SVR4.

Does Dell not ship manuals with its Unix?  What about online man pages?

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson

jrh@mustang.dell.com (Randy Howard) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar28.201244.5054@xstor.com>, iverson@xstor.com (Tim Iverson) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar24.181115.5476@athena.mit.edu> vinnie@athena.mit.edu writes:
|> >    I have an ISA 486 system with Dell SVR4 installed [...]
|> > [...] , but I don't have a manual set for SVR4.
|>
|> Does Dell not ship manuals with its Unix?  What about online man pages?
|>
|> - Tim Iverson
|>   iverson@xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson

I haven't seen a response to this yet, so I'll jump in...

Dell ships on-line man pages with every copy of SVR4.   Dell does not
ship a complete paper doc set with every copy.  We have quite a few
customers that have multiple UNIX licenses and only want to kill one
manual set worth of trees for the site, and also do not want to have to
pay for all of those extra manuals.  Others do not want the paper docs
at all if they are available on-line.  So, we make it optional.  The
salesperson should have asked the gentleman above if he wanted to order
the paper docs, and that would have avoided the problem for him.   Also,
the paper docs can be ordered as one large complete set, or ordered
individually.  For example, the average user might want only the User's
and Ssyadm's guides, and not the development kit docs, etc.

In addition, each copy of SVR4 is shipped with a paper 'Getting Started'
type document that explains what to do for initial bringup, configuration,
and a brief chapter on several functional areas, i.e. LP, UUCP, SL/IP,
networking...

The idea was to offer options to fit more customer profiles rather than
having one 'canned' offering that was less interesting to our customers,
and more expensive.

---
Randy Howard                        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
Dell Computer Corp.                 @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (04/03/91)

>Dell ships on-line man pages with every copy of SVR4.   Dell does not
>ship a complete paper doc set with every copy.  We have quite a few
>customers that have multiple UNIX licenses and only want to kill one
>manual set worth of trees for the site, and also do not want to have to
>pay for all of those extra manuals.  Others do not want the paper docs
>at all if they are available on-line.  [...]

Does this mean that *all* of the paper docs are also available online,
not just the man pages?

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

stecz@hotwheel.dell.com (John Steczkowski) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.133156.27534@pegasus.com>, richard@pegasus.com
(Richard Foulk) writes:
> >Dell ships on-line man pages with every copy of SVR4.   Dell does not
> >ship a complete paper doc set with every copy.  We have quite a few
> >customers that have multiple UNIX licenses and only want to kill one
> >manual set worth of trees for the site, and also do not want to have to
> >pay for all of those extra manuals.  Others do not want the paper docs
> >at all if they are available on-line.  [...]
>
> Does this mean that *all* of the paper docs are also available online,
> not just the man pages?

No! There are man pages and some on-line help files.

  John Steczkowski      stecz@hotwheel.dell.com || uunet!dell!hotwheel!stecz
     Dell Computer Corp., 9505 Arboretum Blvd., Austin, Texas, 78759
- The only true sports are mountain climbing, bull fighting and motor
racing.  -
-             The rest are merely games -- Ernest Hemingway
      -

dcm@baldur.dell.com (Dave McCracken) (04/04/91)

>>Dell ships on-line man pages with every copy of SVR4.   Dell does not
>>ship a complete paper doc set with every copy.  We have quite a few
>>customers that have multiple UNIX licenses and only want to kill one
>>manual set worth of trees for the site, and also do not want to have to
>>pay for all of those extra manuals.  Others do not want the paper docs
>>at all if they are available on-line.  [...]

>Does this mean that *all* of the paper docs are also available online,
>not just the man pages?

No, you only get the man pages online.  The online version of the other
manuals, along with the *roff source for the man pages, are only available
as part of the source license and we can't ship them as part of the binary
license.

The bottom line on the paper manuals is that we can't produce and/or sell
them for any less money than AT&T or Prentice-Hall.  If we shipped them
with every license, our prices would be several hundred dollars higher.
When the price is only $995, that is a substantial increase.
--
Dave McCracken      dcm@dell.dell.com      (512) 343-3720
Dell Computer       9505 Arboretum Blvd    Austin, TX 78759-7299