[comp.unix.sysv386] side-effects of applying updates

leo@aai.com (04/06/91)

I got a surprise when I installed the X5 and X6 updates for asy.  This
"fixes shared dial-in/dial-out lines with modems allowing for
bi-directional communication over modems."  There was no mention in the
release notes of any side-effects.

After building a new kernal and rebooting, the warning message "no access
to tty, thus no job control in this shell" appeared whenever csh is started
up!  Great!  There goes job control!  Is there a workaround for this?
Personally, I'll be using FAS instead, but if there's a workaround I'd like
to know what it is.

Since Driver.o is replaced by the update, I don't think there's any way to
back out.  So... I'm restoring from tape.

Are there any undesirable side-effects that have been noticed after
installing any of the other updates?  Do you install all updates or do you
only install if you absolutely have to?

I've learned my lesson!  From now on I backup /etc/conf before applying
updates.  Actually, I guess that since the update could mess with files
anywhere on the system the only safe thing to do is a complete backup.
--
Leo	leo@aai.com   leo%aai@uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo

leo@aai.com (04/06/91)

In comp.unix.sysv386 I wrote:

>I got a surprise when I installed the X5 and X6 updates for asy.  This
>"fixes shared dial-in/dial-out lines with modems allowing for
>bi-directional communication over modems."  There was no mention in the
>release notes of any side-effects.

Jonathon at ISC mailed me a reply:

> Um, the X5/X6 update is for 2.0.2 and earlier releases.  They don't have
> job control.  The *only* updates for 2.2 and later are named
> "SSU<something>".  Btw, 2.2 already has all the stuff in the X5/X6
> updates as standard equipment.

Thanks for the info, Jonathan!  I just got the 2.2.1 kit from MSC and I
asked them to send a complete set of updates FOR THAT RELEASE.  Looks like
they sent me more than I needed!  Unfortunately, the documentation didn't
help much.

It would be VERY helpful if ISC would put at the top of each update release
note ( or maybe even on the floppy itself) something like:

	This update is applicable to release 2.0.2 only.

And in the notes for a relase:

	Release 2.2.1 incorporates the following updates to 2.0.2:
	X1, X2, X3, X4, X5...

	Updates for release 2.2.1 will have the designation:
		"SSU<something>"
--
Leo	leo@aai.com   leo%aai@uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo