[comp.unix.sysv386] What's in a name?

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.020148.24672@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>A number of vendors
>use licensed AT&T code but are not allowed by AT&T to refer to their product
>in the marketplace as "Unix".

First off, nobody I know in this market uses the word "Unix". Everyone
selling the product uses the all-caps version, "UNIX". I had been, er,
"reprimanded" for my use of "Unix" in official capacities (hi, Peter :-).

As for use of the name: I believe licencees must pay extra to use "UNIX"
as their trade-name for the product. I believe that Interactive (386/ix)
and ESIX have chosen to invent their own names, even tho' their products
are both close to the current AT&T release. Both certainly use the term
UNIX liberally in their advertising (as well they should!).

I recall when Everex was struggling to make a unique name for its
UNIX product, before coming up with ESIX  (I still have a number of
floppies, manuals, and paraphenelia marked ENIX). Before the final
name was chosen in May 1989, a number of others (ENIX, EOS, OSIX) had
been considered, but all conflicted with something else.

Despite what seemed at the time to be an agonizing name search I remember
that the whole exercize was considered by Everex to be more worthwhile
(for a number of reasons) than merely calling their product UNIX.

Dell, UHC, and Microport have chosen to pay the money and use the name
UNIX, I believe. So has SCO, even though its UNIX is probably further
from the original AT&T code than any of the others. This will
certainly be the case when 486/ix and ESIX R4 start shipping.

By the way: Is Interactive still going to call its Release 4 product
"486/ix"? Is this not the stupidest, most confusing naming scheme in the
market right now?

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.144722.1753@telly.on.ca> you write:
>I believe that Interactive (386/ix) [has chosen to invent their own names ...
>By the way: Is Interactive still going to call its Release 4 product
>"486/ix"?

As of their release 2.2, which is still based on Sys V.3.2, Interactive
changed the name of their product to "INTERACTIVE UNIX" rather than 386/ix.
They fortunately never released anything called 486/ix.

Apparently until a year or so ago AT&T didn't license the unix name at all,
then changed their minds so that many of the licensees changed their product
names to include the name "unix."

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (04/03/91)

In <1991Apr1.144722.1753@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>First off, nobody I know in this market uses the word "Unix". Everyone
>selling the product uses the all-caps version, "UNIX".

The key distinction is that UNIX is an adjective, while Unix is a
noun.  If you're talking about a *thing* you say Unix;  if you're
*describing* that thing you say UNIX.  When you say "UNIX operating
system" you are in effect saying "an operating system whose
characteristics are described by the adjective UNIX".  When you say
"Berkeley Unix" you are in effect saying "A Unix whose characteristics
are described by the noun Berkeley used as an adjective".  It is
grammatically wrong to say "Berkeley UNIX".  It is marginally correct
to say "Unix operating system" (because although Unix is a noun it is
possible to use it as an adjective).

The orthogonality is not complete and you don't usually say "UNIX
Unix", because it sounds awkward, although it is grammatically
correct.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@cirrus.COM>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

ed@mtxinu.COM (Ed Gould) (04/03/91)

>>First off, nobody I know in this market uses the word "Unix". Everyone
>>selling the product uses the all-caps version, "UNIX".

>The key distinction is that UNIX is an adjective, while Unix is a
>noun.

This is pure bunk.  AT&T owns a registered trademark "unix."  If
they want to keep it, they are required to defend the use of their
trademark - in particular to avoid it becoming a generic name for
the product.  (An example of a former trademark that has become
generic is "thermos."  The name of the company that owned the
trademark escapes me, but Alladin is their chief competitor.
Alladin now sells things called "thermos bottles.")  Among the ways
that AT&T does this are the following two.  First, they require
their licensees to use the word as an adjective.  Second, they
require it to be made typographically distinct.  This secone
requirement is the reason it's often written in all caps.  In ASCII,
how else does one make something typographically distinct?

In practice, many people - including me - use "unix" as a noun.
There's little that AT&T can do about this, as they don't have any
particular influence over the public at large.  However, they can -
and do - keep their licensees in line.  (An example:  At one time,
mt Xinu used the slogan "We know Unix backwards and forwards."
AT&T sent them a letter, pointing out that this use of "Unix" as
a noun violated their license on the trademark.  Before eventually
dropping that slogan, it was changed to the much less satisfying
"We know the Unix trade mark backwards and forwards," simply for the
purpose of complying with AT&T's restrictions.)

The way the word is written, be it unix, Unix or UNIX, has absolutely
nothing to do with its part of speech.

Until very recently (recent versions of System V) *nobody* but AT&T
was allowed to formally call their product "unix."  Hence all the
various names (Xenix, Ultrix, Dynix, HP/UX, AIX, SunOS, UniPlus+,
...).  AT&T now licenses the use of the trademark as well as the
code.

I wonder where bizarre ideas like "Unix" is different from "UNIX"
come from.  Have the people who foster them ever talked to a lawyer
about trademarks or read an AT&T license agreement?

--
Ed Gould			No longer formally affiliated with,
ed@mtxinu.COM			and certainly not speaking for, mt Xinu.

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (04/04/91)

In article <3028@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
|In <1991Apr1.144722.1753@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
|
|>First off, nobody I know in this market uses the word "Unix". Everyone
|>selling the product uses the all-caps version, "UNIX".
|
|The key distinction is that UNIX is an adjective, while Unix is a
|noun.  If you're talking about a *thing* you say Unix;  if you're
|*describing* that thing you say UNIX.  When you say "UNIX operating
|system" you are in effect saying "an operating system whose
|characteristics are described by the adjective UNIX".  When you say
|"Berkeley Unix" you are in effect saying "A Unix whose characteristics
|are described by the noun Berkeley used as an adjective".  It is
|grammatically wrong to say "Berkeley UNIX".  It is marginally correct
|to say "Unix operating system" (because although Unix is a noun it is
|possible to use it as an adjective).
|
|The orthogonality is not complete and you don't usually say "UNIX
|Unix", because it sounds awkward, although it is grammatically
|correct.
|--
|Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@cirrus.COM>
|UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

The reason for this is that legally, trademarks are adjectives.
People don't eat Jello; they eat Jello brand skin and bones extract.

And the trademark for the operating system is UNIX, not Unix.

Ken

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (04/04/91)

In <1991Apr3.053653.592@mtxinu.COM> ed@mtxinu.COM (Ed Gould) writes:

>I wonder where bizarre ideas like "Unix" is different from "UNIX"
>come from.  Have the people who foster them ever talked to a lawyer
>about trademarks or read an AT&T license agreement?

Trademark lawyers and the AT&T license agreement do not define parts of
speech.  Common usage does.  If enough people verb a noun, the
dictionary writers must--however reluctantly--update their dictionaries
accordingly.

The term "Unix" in all its typographically different incarnations has,
because of common usage, been a noun far longer than it has been a
registered trade mark.

Parts of speech are not defined by legalistic fiat.  (In "Legalistic
fiat", fiat is a noun, and in "Fiat automobile", Fiat is an
adjective.   Letting our brains wander, we also find that in "Fiat
lux", Fiat is a verb while lux is a noun, but in "Lux soap" Lux is an
adjective while soap is a noun; but in "Soap opera", Soap is an
adjective.  Etc.)

In deference to AT&T's attempts to use only the capitalized term "UNIX"
and insist (in deference in turn to trade mark law) that it is an
adjective and not a noun, I simplify the whole complex picture by
saying that "Unix" is a noun and "UNIX" is an adjective.  This should
keep most everybody happy.
--

keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (04/10/91)

In article <3034@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>...I simplify the whole complex picture by
>saying that "Unix" is a noun and "UNIX" is an adjective.  This should
>keep most everybody happy.

That's _fine_ as long as your sole form of communication is written.  But how
are you going to convey the differences among [Uu][Nn]Ii][Xx] in a verbal
mode.  I 'spos "UNIX" could be shouted and "unix" whispered.  But how about
the other, uh, 14 cases?

(help *) KEITHE(), user of the UNIX brand operating system... :-)