[comp.unix.sysv386] Can't get X386 to Work

mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Terry Mitchem) (04/07/91)

	I am having some trouble with Roell's X386 server. I am trying to
run it under ISC 2.0.2 with streams installed. When I try to start it up I
get:

  Creating TCP Socket: No such file or directory
  InitOutput(pScreenInfo=0x40ae04,argc=2,argv=0x7fffff38)
  X386VTInit()
  VgaScreenInit(index=0,pScreen=0x42d400,argc=2,argv=0x7fffff38)
  bus error (core dumped)

Somewhere during the above, the screen clears briefly and then comes back. I
never get any graphics or such. I'm sorry if this is an exceedingly simple
question. Maybe we need a FAQ posting for X386 (hint hint).  I believe I have
Xconfig set up right. I only ftp'd the binaries as I don't have enough disk
space to build it from scratch.
				Thanks in advance,
					Terry

mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Terry Mitchem) (04/07/91)

	I forgot to ask about this in my first post.  What format are the
man pages in? I got files such as xwud.n.z.  Are these compressed or what?
I tried renaming it so xwud.n.Z and compress said the file was not in
compressed format. Thanks in advance, Terry

mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Terry Mitchem) writes:

>	I forgot to ask about this in my first post.  What format are the
>man pages in? I got files such as xwud.n.z.  Are these compressed or what?

A lowercase .z usually indicates that the file was compressed using the
pack(1) utility.  Use unpack or pcat to view the file.

The .n may mean that it is an nroff source file. However, you cannot
tell until you get it unpacked and look at the file.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/08/91)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>A lowercase .z usually indicates that the file was compressed using the
>pack(1) utility.  Use unpack or pcat to view the file.

usually - but then the files on 128.252.135.4 all have .z on them - and
they are all compressed ---

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

mike@bria.UUCP (Michael Stefanik) (04/11/91)

In an article, silver.ucs.indiana.edu!mitchemt (Terry Mitchem) writes:
|I forgot to ask about this in my first post.  What format are the
|man pages in? I got files such as xwud.n.z.  Are these compressed or what?
|I tried renaming it so xwud.n.Z and compress said the file was not in
|compressed format. Thanks in advance, Terry

Files with a lower-case '.z' are usually compressed using the pack(1) tool,
while an upper-case '.Z' indicated the compress(1) tool.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/12/91)

In article <179@bria.UUCP> mike@bria.UUCP (Mike Stefanik/81920) writes:
>In an article, silver.ucs.indiana.edu!mitchemt (Terry Mitchem) writes:
>|I forgot to ask about this in my first post.  What format are the
>|man pages in? I got files such as xwud.n.z.  Are these compressed or what?
>|I tried renaming it so xwud.n.Z and compress said the file was not in
>|compressed format. Thanks in advance, Terry
>
>Files with a lower-case '.z' are usually compressed using the pack(1) tool,
>while an upper-case '.Z' indicated the compress(1) tool.

I did a strings /usr/bin/X11/xman |grep pcat just to assure myself that
Thomas compiled in pcat in xman.  Yes he did.  The original MIT source
uses compress(1).  So I think if anyone wants to use *.Z format, the building
the original probably is the way to go.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University