[comp.unix.sysv386] INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly...

moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) (04/08/91)

Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors

    id: co "/etc/getty console console"

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors

    id: v1 "/etc/getty /dev/vt01 vt01"

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors

    id: v2 "/etc/getty /dev/vt02 vt02"

Naturally, the system then hangs up.

Thanks in advance,

- Paul

moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"

The proble is probably one of the following:

	1. /etc/getty is gone
	2. /etc/gettydefs is corrupted (or at least the console, vt01 and vt02
	   entries are trashed)
	3. /dev/console is gone or has the incorrect device numbers
	4. /unix is screwed up (I would only suspect this if you recently
	   made a new unix, or suffered some sort of system crash)

Boot the system in single user mode (using the install disk)
mount /dev/dsk/0s1 /mnt
cd /mnt and look around to see what is going on (Note that you will have
to prepend /mnt on to all the paths I specified above.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

slootman@dri.nl (Paul Slootman) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr8.102837.12050@hollie.rdg.dec.com> moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>
>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>
>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"
[and a number of other inittab lines]

Ummm... Go to single user mode (or maintenance mode, depending on the
system). Check that
a) /etc/getty is there and has execute permission, or isn't damaged in
   any other way
b) /etc/gettydefs is there and contains the entries used by the various
   getty invocations, without errors (getty has a '-c file' option to
   check a gettydefs-type file)
c) the devices are there, i.e. /dev/console, /dev/vt01, etc. and that
   these devices are available (ports on an expansion IO module won't
   be accessible if the module is disconnected or inoperational in
   some other way; although the console is there, as you see some
   messages; they might, however, be sent to /dev/syscon...)

In my experience these are the things to watch for. Hope this helps.

Paul.
: slootman@dri.nl            :          Don't hit the keys so hard, :
: ...!hp4nl!dri500!slootman  :                             it hurts :

sgren@dynas.se (Johannes Sjogren) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr08.133110.11967@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>>Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"

I have just recently had exactly the same problem. Init complained about all
my getty:s, on both console, vtxx and ttyd0.
I booted my system from floppy and changed the initdefault entry in
/etc/inittab to 's'. After this I was able to reboot from the hard disk
and get the system up in single user mode. If I tried doing "init 2" to get
to multiuser I just ended up in respawning getty-land again..

>The proble is probably one of the following:
>
>	1. /etc/getty is gone
>	2. /etc/gettydefs is corrupted (or at least the console, vt01 and vt02
>	   entries are trashed)

They seemed Ok on my system. I tried starting a getty manually
("/etc/getty /dev/vt01") and it started up OK and prompted on the expected
virtual terminal (vt01).

>	3. /dev/console is gone or has the incorrect device numbers

Both /dev/console and /dev/vtxx were OK.

>	4. /unix is screwed up (I would only suspect this if you recently
>	   made a new unix, or suffered some sort of system crash)

I thought my /unix could be damaged so I replaced it with an old one. No
change.

I also tried reinstalling the core floppys. This didn't work either.
Finally I ended up doing a full re-install. Now it seem to work.
--
  Johannes Sjogren				sgren@dynas.se
  DynaSoft, Dynamic Software AB			Phone: +46-8-726 85 60

rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.084115.1612@dynas.se> sgren@dynas.se (Johannes Sjogren) writes:
>In article <1991Apr08.133110.11967@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>>>Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>>>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>>>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>>>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"
>
>I have just recently had exactly the same problem. Init complained about all
>my getty:s, on both console, vtxx and ttyd0.
>I booted my system from floppy and changed the initdefault entry in
>/etc/inittab to 's'. After this I was able to reboot from the hard disk
>and get the system up in single user mode. If I tried doing "init 2" to get
>to multiuser I just ended up in respawning getty-land again..
>
>>The proble is probably one of the following:
>>
>>	1. /etc/getty is gone
>>	2. /etc/gettydefs is corrupted (or at least the console, vt01 and vt02
>>	   entries are trashed)

[ and some more ]

Had the same on Esix, after booting up on the 1st installtion floppy and
installing it's /etc on my hard disk I started comparing things.  Turned out
that something had bitten the end off /etc/sulogin.  (and is was 2 in inittab,
so why did /etc/sulogin matter?)
--
Why do we have alarm clocks?  Surely God meant for us to sleep longer.

Hey, have a nice one.   Robert den Hartog. {rden|robert}@{rden|mercury}.gen.nz
	 ...If it don't work, yell it, I like bang paths, they work.

dick@ahds.UUCP (Dick Heijne CCS/TS) (04/11/91)

moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>>Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"

Assuming that /etc/getty hasn't passed away (this might cause the trouble)
the most probable cause is a wiring problem, that causes getty to die soon
after it started.
You can figure out this by noticing what happens:

	If the terminal does not assert DTR, which should be connected to
	DSR and DCD (pins 6 & 8 on a 25-pin computerport), getty will not
	be able to open the port and will sleep until the pins come up.

	If, however, getty succeeds in opening the port, i.e. because DSR
	on the port IS asserted, but DCD is not, getty will die immediatly
	after the open, caused by a SIGHUP. This signal is not related to
	DSR, only to DCD and is detected AFTER the port is opened.
	Some manufacturers use weird (creative) wiring systems, which can
	easily fall into this.

	A secure wiring system is:
 	      - cross-connect 4(RTS) and 5(CTS), or short-cut them
		local on each end (so, on short-cut no end-to-end
		wiring!)
	      - short-cut 6(DSR) and 8(DCD) on one end and connect
		them to DTR(20) on the other end. Also the other
		way around (so, crossed)
	      - off course, cross-connect 2(TXD) and 3(RCD)
	      - connect 7(SG) to 7 on the other end
	      - Be sure that 1(Shield or Frame Ground) is only connected
		on ONE side, thus prohibiting capacitive distortion

	When getty runs on the port, switch on your terminal while a
	break-out box whith LED's is connected between the port and the
	cable-connector. Now, the led's 2 and 3 should be negative
	(on most boxes green), while 4,5,6,8 and 20 should be positive
	(i.e. red). Of course, 7 and 1 (the grounds won't lit).
	Check both sides.

	If all this is true and the problem still occurs the problem gets
	much more interesting...

Good luck,

Dick.

stu@mav.com (Stu Donaldson) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr8.102837.12050@hollie.rdg.dec.com> moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>Can someone help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>
>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>
>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"
>Naturally, the system then hangs up.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>- Paul

I recently (Sunday) had the same problem.  In my case, it seems
to me to be somewhat like black magic, but I'll share my experience
with you in the hopes it may help.

I recently found out about the TZ environment variable also holding
the effective julian date for daylight savings time.  I went to
edit /etc/TIMEZONE and added a somewhat lengthy comment to the
file describing the format of the variable, and complaining about
having to change it each year, since daylight savings time goes into
effect based on month and week, rather than on julian day. :-(.

Well sometime later, I rebooted my system with the same results
you described above.  I tried everything I could think of.  I must
have rebooted the system 20 times from the install disk and verified
that everything looked as it should.  I noticed that /etc/init does
reference the file /etc/TIMEZONE (strings /etc/init) but couldn't
find a reference to TZ in the init program.  On a whim, I changed
the file back to a oneliner setting up TZ (with a single line comment)
and amazingly the system booted just fine.  I later added several
lines of comments again to the file to verify my test, and found
the problem had returned.

Without the source to /etc/init, I surmised that init was reading
in /etc/TIMEZONE into a fixed length buffer and was overwriting
some internal variables with my longer file.  Needless to say, I
was very PISSED with such a STUPID BUG!  I suspect that there is
some reference to this "feature" burried deep in my incredibly
accurate and friendly documentation. :-(

So, has anyone else discovered this?  Hope this helps someone else
save 6 hours on a Sunday evening.

	-- Stu --
Stu Donaldson                   "Can't you understand what I'm saying?"
stu@mav.com                     "What happened?  Did you Fail Telepathy?"

richard@octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) (04/12/91)

In your gettydefs file look to see that all of the id fields are unique ..
 (first field)

 If they are not, then this respawning problem could occur.

 Richard
--

fred@walter.uucp (Fred Walter) (04/13/91)

sgren@dynas.se (Johannes Sjogren) writes:
>cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>>>help me with this problem when I boot up my ISC-based system. I get
>>>the following series of messages displayed on the terminal:
>>>    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors
>>>    id: co "/etc/getty console console"
>
>I have just recently had exactly the same problem. Init complained about all
>my getty:s, on both console, vtxx and ttyd0.

Did your /etc/inittab file have two or more entries with the same 'unique'
identifier ? A friend's Interactive Unix had the init problem, and when
the 'unique' identifiers (which came that way right out of the box, if you
used the menu during the install to setup the serial ports a certain way)
where changed so they really were unique, the problem went away. It was
*very* annoying that it came out of the box with this problem. Not to
mention sendmail kept on respawning (until it was ripped out and replaced
with smail 3.1.19). Not to mention mailx will dump core when you try to
respond to certain mail addresses (that mail will correctly respond to).
Not to mention ...

Grrr... But once all the problem software was worked around (or ripped out
and replaced) it's pretty nice.

	fred
>I booted my system from floppy and changed the initdefault entry in
>/etc/inittab to 's'. After this I was able to reboot from the hard disk
>and get the system up in single user mode. If I tried doing "init 2" to get
>to multiuser I just ended up in respawning getty-land again..
>
>>The proble is probably one of the following:
>>
>>	1. /etc/getty is gone
>>	2. /etc/gettydefs is corrupted (or at least the console, vt01 and vt02
>>	   entries are trashed)
>
>They seemed Ok on my system. I tried starting a getty manually
>("/etc/getty /dev/vt01") and it started up OK and prompted on the expected
>virtual terminal (vt01).
>
>>	3. /dev/console is gone or has the incorrect device numbers
>
>Both /dev/console and /dev/vtxx were OK.
>
>>	4. /unix is screwed up (I would only suspect this if you recently
>>	   made a new unix, or suffered some sort of system crash)
>
>I thought my /unix could be damaged so I replaced it with an old one. No
>change.
>
>I also tried reinstalling the core floppys. This didn't work either.
>Finally I ended up doing a full re-install. Now it seem to work.
>--
>  Johannes Sjogren				sgren@dynas.se
>  DynaSoft, Dynamic Software AB			Phone: +46-8-726 85 60
>  Liljeholmsv 10, S-117 61 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN	Fax: +46-8-18 11 45

--
School address : grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu
Home   address : watmath.uwaterloo.ca!xenitec!walter!fred

Can you say "Thesis Avoidance" boys and girls ?