[comp.unix.sysv386] X.25 software for i386 needed

peter@modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) (04/09/91)

Does anybody know about the software package that works as X.25 PAD and runs
on i386?  It would provide connection over the synchronous modem line.
Preferably it would be implemented over Sys.V. Streams and the virtual
circuits would be available as /dev node files.
I heard about ADAX but very long time ago and their quality was very poor then.
The company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
--
Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc}.UUCP, (416)496-8510 or (416)625-1684

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr09.054346.18025@modtor.uucp> peter@modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) writes:
>Does anybody know about the software package that works as X.25 PAD and runs
>on i386?  It would provide connection over the synchronous modem line.
>Preferably it would be implemented over Sys.V. Streams and the virtual
>circuits would be available as /dev node files.
>I heard about ADAX but very long time ago and their quality was very poor then.
>The company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
>--
>Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc}.UUCP, (416)496-8510 or (416)625-1684

We have just been through the process of getting a similar product.  We
tried hard to get Adax to work, but couldn't.  Nor could the Australian
distributor.

We also tried Symicron, where we could at least bring the link up, but
it had no X.28 PAD facility.  No end user software at all really, just
a library.  Incoming calls didn't work properly either.  All of the
Australian installed sites developed their own application specific
software using the library provided.

We are now running System Strategies Inc. X.25 Express software with an
Emulex DCP-286i card.  This does the job very well;  incoming and outgoing
calls work fine.  The only real problem is the lack of a streams interface,
making outgoing UUCP calls very difficult.  Virtual circuits are not
available as devices.  If you want to write an application which uses X.25
directly, you must use their library.

--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr09.054346.18025@modtor.uucp> peter@modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) writes:
>Does anybody know about the software package that works as X.25 PAD and runs
>on i386?  It would provide connection over the synchronous modem line.
>Preferably it would be implemented over Sys.V. Streams and the virtual
>circuits would be available as /dev node files.
>I heard about ADAX but very long time ago and their quality was very poor then.
>The company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
>--
>Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc}.UUCP, (416)496-8510 or (416)625-1684

You should check with AT&T.  I just got their product catalog and on
page 4:
	AT&T X.25 Network Interface
Unix System V Release 2.0 or later
Compatible with CCITT 1980 and 84.
Just don't ask them the price - $3400 to $5600
The phone number is (800) 247-1212

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara , CA
nlane@well.sf.ca.us

marc@PostImage.COM (Marc Boucher) (04/14/91)

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) writes:

>In article <1991Apr09.054346.18025@modtor.uucp> peter@modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) writes:
>>Does anybody know about the software package that works as X.25 PAD and runs
>>on i386?  It would provide connection over the synchronous modem line.
>>Preferably it would be implemented over Sys.V. Streams and the virtual
>>circuits would be available as /dev node files.
>>I heard about ADAX but very long time ago and their quality was very poor then.
>>The company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
>>--
>>Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc}.UUCP, (416)496-8510 or (416)625-1684

>We have just been through the process of getting a similar product.  We
>tried hard to get Adax to work, but couldn't.  Nor could the Australian
>distributor.

>We also tried Symicron, where we could at least bring the link up, but
>it had no X.28 PAD facility.  No end user software at all really, just
>a library.  Incoming calls didn't work properly either.  All of the
>Australian installed sites developed their own application specific
>software using the library provided.

>We are now running System Strategies Inc. X.25 Express software with an
>Emulex DCP-286i card.  This does the job very well;  incoming and outgoing
>calls work fine.  The only real problem is the lack of a streams interface,
>making outgoing UUCP calls very difficult.  Virtual circuits are not
>available as devices.  If you want to write an application which uses X.25
>directly, you must use their library.

>--
>Jan Mikkelsen
>janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au
>"She really is."

NetCom II by The Software Group fully supports X.29 streams using the
normal unix tty interface. I have successfully used UUCP over X.25 with
their software, a year or so ago..

ask Derek Vair (derek@tsgfred.UUCP) for more info.

-Marc.

--
Marc Boucher                   Internet: marc@PostImage.COM      BIX: mboucher
Dir., Informatique             Telephone: (514) 489-8989         FAX: 489-0242

ralfi@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) (04/15/91)

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:

>>Does anybody know about the software package that works as X.25 PAD and runs
>>on i386?  It would provide connection over the synchronous modem line.
>>Preferably it would be implemented over Sys.V. Streams and the virtual
>>circuits would be available as /dev node files.

Email to

	The Software Group in Canada,
	derek@tsgfred.group.com

and tell him my best regards. They have a very nice and stable solution.
I already installed it twice and it works fine.

Regards

Ralf.

--
  PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft    |         Ralf U. Holighaus
        fuer Microcomputer mbH            |         Technical Support