[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC2.2 and uugetty-does it work?

dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) (04/12/91)

I would like to set up a bidirectional serial port to allow a modem to work
as either a dial-in or dial-out line.  As I recall, early versions of ISC's
uugetty program (pre-version 2.2) were broken and never worked properly.

Rather than spending a great deal of time only to potentially discover the
same thing, can anyone tell me if they have:
	a) successfully set up a bidirectional modem under ISC 2.2?
	b) been able to set it up without performing major backflips?

For my level of expertise, a major backflip is almost anything that is not
directly documented in a complete, step-by-step list.  In other words, if it
is necessary to make a minor change to /etc/gettydefs that is not obvious, I
would appreciate details (or at least let me know that "file X needs to be
changed" and I will know to pore over the info for that file more carefully).
Thanks in advance.

kentkar@polari.UUCP (kent karrer) (04/13/91)

+
+Rather than spending a great deal of time only to potentially discover the
+same thing, can anyone tell me if they have:
+	a) successfully set up a bidirectional modem under ISC 2.2?
+	b) been able to set it up without performing major backflips?
+

I am running ISC 2.2.1 and I use uugetty successfully to bidirectionally
transfer email and news to other sites.

I originally set everything up according to the operating system guide. Things
worked fairly well. But as I have learned more I have done things like tweek
the gettydefs entries to get more reliable connections, etc.

--
[~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]
[ My thought is in control of my experience and I can direct my thinking. ]

dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:

>I would like to set up a bidirectional serial port to allow a modem to work
>as either a dial-in or dial-out line.  As I recall, early versions of ISC's
>uugetty program (pre-version 2.2) were broken and never worked properly.

The best solution to this problem is to use an intelligent tty port (via
an intelligent card, or the FAS tty port driver).  Then you can just hang
a normal getty on the modem control port and cu out the non-modem
control port.  The drivers handle the locking of the port.

the only time I saw uugetty working, it required the following:

	1. tty port with modem control (see the FAQ question 13 for info on
	   how to get that).

	2. dialers entries that use \m and \M to set and clear local mode
	   when dialing.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr13.134338.23993@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
>>I would like to set up a bidirectional serial port [with uugetty]
>The best solution to this problem is to use an intelligent tty port (via
>an intelligent card, or the FAS tty port driver). ...

The standard asy driver shipped with 2.2 supports separate /dev/ttydX and
/dev/asyX special files for dial-in and dial-out.  It also supports the
FIFOs on a 16550, important at 19.2K baud.  I've used it quite successfully
to handle dial in and out for uucp, using only the regular getty.

At 9600 or 19.2K FAS is preferable because it's faster, but at 2400 bps the
standard asy driver is fine.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!iecc!johnl

fred@walter.uucp (Fred Walter) (04/15/91)

dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
>Rather than spending a great deal of time only to potentially discover the
>same thing, can anyone tell me if they have:
>	a) successfully set up a bidirectional modem under ISC 2.2?

Yes.

>	b) been able to set it up without performing major backflips?

Once I figured out that the default stuff ended up setting up the /etc/inittab
file incorrectly, it was easy. Modify /etc/conf/init.d/asy to read something
like :

00:23:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 /dev/tty00 19200
01:23:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 /dev/tty01 19200

Put an 'off' in place of the 'respawn' on the port you don't want uugetty
running on.

Make sure you've got the above two lines (after you've modified them) in your
/etc/inittab file. Make sure that you don't have any other lines with the
same 'unique' identifier (the first two characters) in the /etc/inittab
file. For example, /etc/conf/cf.d/init.base has a line with a 00 in it.
Delete it, so it doesn't conflict. (Make backups first of the files you'll
be changing of course :-)

Make sure that your /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file uses the same /dev/tty0?'s
that you're using above.

Make sure that who ever is calling you knows that they'll have to press
return several times to get the attention of uugetty (IE to get a login
prompt).

If you've a smart enough modem, I suggest locking the line speed between
the computer and the modem.

	fred
--
School address : grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu
Home   address : watmath.uwaterloo.ca!xenitec!walter!fred

Can you say "Thesis Avoidance" boys and girls ?

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (04/16/91)

In article <41212@cup.portal.com> dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
>I would like to set up a bidirectional serial port to allow a modem to work
>as either a dial-in or dial-out line.  As I recall, early versions of ISC's
>uugetty program (pre-version 2.2) were broken and never worked properly.

It may still be broken, but since the X5 patchlevel to 2.02 and in 2.21
you don't need to use uugetty at all. Simply hang a regular getty on the
port. When you dial out, the *driver* will automatically lock the getty
off for the duration of your call then respawn the getty after your call
is completed. Works like a charm. You must use the acux or tty0x device for
out bound calls and hang your getty on the ttydx device where x is the
port number. The driver code will take care of the rest.

Gary

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/17/91)

dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:

>I would like to set up a bidirectional serial port to allow a modem to work
>as either a dial-in or dial-out line.  As I recall, early versions of ISC's
>uugetty program (pre-version 2.2) were broken and never worked properly.

correct.

>Rather than spending a great deal of time only to potentially discover the
>same thing, can anyone tell me if they have:
>	a) successfully set up a bidirectional modem under ISC 2.2?

yes..

>	b) been able to set it up without performing major backflips?

yes - using either the X5 upgrade disk (with 2.01) or by using
the 2.21 release

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator