[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO UNIX bashing

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (04/18/91)

[ Followups to comp.unix.sysv386 ]

First, let me say that I've done my share of SCO-flaming in the past.
I just want them to hang for the crimes they *have* committed.  :-)

According to chris@imsdx3.UUCP (Chris Ott):
>  1) Symbolic links. C'mon guys, how hard can this be to implement?

Reliable source says:  Fixed in 3.2v3.

>  2) Reasonably long filenames.

Reliable source says:  Fixed in 3.2v3.

>  3) SCO UNIX does not have a real C compiler.

Granted.  That's why I use gcc.  Saves everyone a lot of trouble.

While on the subject of the development system, I wish that SCO could
at least edit all the header files to ensure that NULL is always
defined consistently.  (My preferred definition: a plain "0".)

>  4) Also, don't try to defend yourself by saying that you're trying to
>     be "standard" System V. The thing that gets me the most is that
>     SCO UNIX has all these extensions, when the basic stuff isn't all
>     there.

Agreed.  There is no excuse for omitting RFS, for example.

>     As an example, I was unable to compile GCC on SCO UNIX ...

That's easy!  Just define CC=rcc (the "real" AT&T C compiler), and it
compiles out of the box.  Almost.
--
Brand X Industries Custodial, Refurbishing and Containment Service:
         When You Never, Ever Want To See It Again [tm]

evan@cuff.uucp (Evan B. Ross) (04/18/91)

>According to chris@imsdx3.UUCP (Chris Ott):
>>  1) Symbolic links. C'mon guys, how hard can this be to implement?
>
>Reliable source says:  Fixed in 3.2v3.

	Yes, but SCO says that 3.2v3 won't be released until at least
	1st quarter of 92.

--
  There's sparks a comin' outa' my head!!!

	Evan B. Ross		cuff!evan@think.com
	DMR, Wellesley MA

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/19/91)

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>Reliable source says:  Fixed in 3.2v3.

Hmmm..  I was told that 3.2v3 is due out in April of 92

Now that is what I call priority response!

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/19/91)

As quoted from <1991Apr18.141208.9000@cuff.uucp> by evan@cuff.uucp (Evan B. Ross):
+---------------
| >According to chris@imsdx3.UUCP (Chris Ott):
| >>  1) Symbolic links. C'mon guys, how hard can this be to implement?
| >
| >Reliable source says:  Fixed in 3.2v3.
|
| 	Yes, but SCO says that 3.2v3 won't be released until at least
| 	1st quarter of 92.

...which means Altos won't have MultiDrop and virtual disks, etc. in it until
3rd quarter.  Sigh.  Life was simpler when Altos maintained their own OS.

(No, switching vendors won't help.  We *need* virtual disks, and MultiDrop
works a heck of a lot better than all the bloody "smart" port cards we've
had to deal with...  It's just frustrating.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)