[comp.unix.sysv386] Setup problems with SCO SysV

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (04/13/91)

I'm hoping that some lucky person has found solutions to all of these
problems, and that he or she can impart them to me in a brief mail
message.

I am faced with having to switch my main system from a nice, comfortable
Interactive 2.2 to a somewhat unfamiliar SCO 3.2. The particular version
in question is OEMed by Altos, but it's plain old SCO except for Altos'
enhancements to the disk drivers (striping, mirroring, multi-channel SCSI,
etc.) and some cute utilities and apps.

It's been years since I've had to fiddle with SCO UNIX, and at one time, I
had solutions to these problems (at least I think I did), but now I've
forgotten them all. SCO experts, have at--here's the list:

- I need to have a shared (incoming/outgoing) modem line. I tried setting up
  tty1A according to the manual, but got all kinds of unpleasant behavior,
  including intermittent failure to drop DTR after logout (yes, I added
  HUPCL to gettydefs) and obvious failure of getty to get out of the way
  when cu or uucico comes up. I have the sources to the FASY driver (it's
  running now on my ISC system) and will resort to that if necessary, but
  I'd like to know if stock SCO can deal with this. Dare I mention that I
  also need hardware flow control? (RTSFLOW is already set in gettydefs)
  I have tried uugetty with no success, and don't relish the idea of hacking
  on those horrid C dialer programs (I use the more traditional System V
  Devices and Dialers file structures, purposely skipping those C dialers).
- I, and the users who dial into my system, like being able to address mail
  with Internet addresses and have them automatically parsed and passed to
  a relay host via UUCP. smail's doing it for me now, and, again, I can
  wimp out and install that under SCO, but my colleague at BYTE assures me
  that MMDF is equal to the task. Will MMDF, without great hassle, take
  fred!wilma@uunet.uu.net and turn it into smarthost!uunet.uu.net!fred!wilma?

That's enough for starters. I'm hoping my initial failures will be quickly
replaced by quick progress toward the system swap. All advice appreciated--
please respond via email. Thanks.
(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Freelance writer-------------------+
|  UUCP: decvax!maxx!tyager          NET: maxx!tyager@bytepb.byte.com      |

ralfi@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) (04/15/91)

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) writes:

>  I have tried uugetty with no success, and don't relish the idea of hacking
>  on those horrid C dialer programs (I use the more traditional System V

	Try the dialer dialHA96V.c, which makes use of a default file
	in /etc/default, so for changing modem setup, no recompilation
	is necessary. Mine works very fine. (I mail it to you seperately)

>  that MMDF is equal to the task. Will MMDF, without great hassle, take
>  fred!wilma@uunet.uu.net and turn it into smarthost!uunet.uu.net!fred!wilma?

	Yes, it will definitely do so.

Hope that helps. Regards

Ralf.

--
  PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft    |         Ralf U. Holighaus
        fuer Microcomputer mbH            |         Technical Support

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/16/91)

As quoted from <148@maxx.UUCP> by tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager):
+---------------
| It's been years since I've had to fiddle with SCO UNIX, and at one time, I
| had solutions to these problems (at least I think I did), but now I've
| forgotten them all. SCO experts, have at--here's the list:
+---------------

Nit-pick:  your experience is with Xenix, not Unix.  And they *do* differ.
(And, unfortunately, SCO's "Unix" is borderline incompatible with real Unix,
never mind all the bloody standards they claim to support.)

+---------------
| - I need to have a shared (incoming/outgoing) modem line. I tried setting up
|   tty1A according to the manual, but got all kinds of unpleasant behavior,
|   including intermittent failure to drop DTR after logout (yes, I added
|   HUPCL to gettydefs) and obvious failure of getty to get out of the way
|   when cu or uucico comes up. I have the sources to the FASY driver (it's
+---------------

Which version?  Altos 1.0aC0 had a broken uugetty, 1.1aC0 is somewhat more
sensible.  But I have also had problems, which Altos tells me will be fixed in
the next version (hopefully out later this month).  (This version will be SCO
3.2.2 with the virtual disk mechanism added... and the virtual disk mechanism
is the integrated one from the 1000/2000, not the hack they threw together
initially.)

+---------------
|   I have tried uugetty with no success, and don't relish the idea of hacking
|   on those horrid C dialer programs (I use the more traditional System V
|   Devices and Dialers file structures, purposely skipping those C dialers).
+---------------

No argument there.

+---------------
| - I, and the users who dial into my system, like being able to address mail
|   with Internet addresses and have them automatically parsed and passed to
|   a relay host via UUCP. smail's doing it for me now, and, again, I can
+---------------

If you have ftp access, get mmdf2.tar.Z from louie.udel.edu.  It's worth it
just for the documentation.

In any case, mmdf is driven off tables which are similar to pathalias output
files.  In this case, you would specify in the uucp channel file that
uunet.uu.net is reachable via smarthost; then addresses of that sort will be
sent to uunet for handling.  Make sure you rebuild the mmdf tables after
changing the channel file.

I post this instead of mailing for two reasons:  (1) to mention the virtual
disk stuff (non-Altos SCO Unix users can expect to see it in the future, I
believe... you have been warned) and to mention that SCO has a document on
configuring MMDF which is probably available from the anonymous uucp archives
on sosco.  Check the SCO SLS list that's periodically posted here for more
information on getting to those archives.  It's worth mentioning here because
MMDF configuration questions seem to be fairly common.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (04/18/91)

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) writes:

[ Hi Brandon, did you ever find the mail forwarding security bug that
  SCO's MMDF chap mentioned? ]

> If you have ftp access, get mmdf2.tar.Z from louie.udel.edu.  It's worth it
> just for the documentation.

Right.  The documentation's the key.  And you don't *need* ftp access,
ftp.uu.net:/mail/mmdf-IIb.43.tar.Z should also be something like
uunet!~/mail/mmdf-IIb.43.tar.Z on 1-900-GOT-SRCS, if you don't
mind the charges.

Beware that the some of the sample configurations in that
version of MMDF don't work due to some of the changes in defaults.

Also, you can apparently get the libraries precompiled by SCO from
ftp.uu.net:/sco-archive/Devref/ref001.Z and ref001.ltr

> SCO has a document on
> configuring MMDF which is probably available from the anonymous uucp archives
> on sosco.

Oddly enough, I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere on the
UK shadow of sosco.  The document does exist, and has been posted here
several times.  The last posting I saw was rev 1.1 on 21 Dec 90
(UK readers ONLY may request e-mailed copies from me)  Perhaps someone
at SCO might be able to tell us where it is ....
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/21/91)

As quoted from <1991Apr17.213306.12289@robobar.co.uk> by ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo):
| [ Hi Brandon, did you ever find the mail forwarding security bug that
|   SCO's MMDF chap mentioned? ]

No, but it's not mission-critical:  I didn't enable .forward on the grounds
that .maildelivery is much better.  I even use it on the non-MMDF sites I use
(courtesy of MH's slocal).

++Brandon