[comp.unix.sysv386] SVR4.0

DA462CS@OPIE.BGSU.EDU (04/06/91)

	I had posted this to .questions a few days ago but after further
reading I think this is a better newsgroup to post to.

	I am in the processing of setting up a 80486 machine to run UNIX,
and am wondering what the various experiences of users are concerning
the different vendors.  At this time I can get AT&T SVR4.0 at a good
price, this is my choice right now.  Is there any benefit in going with
the other guys: Interactive, SCO, ESIX, UHC????  Price is not a concern
because personally I don't think the AT&T stuff is that expensive... I
don't want to start any religious wars here, just some helpfull comments
please...

			Thanks in advance...
			Michael L. Gantz
			DA462CS@opie.bgsu.edu

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/07/91)

In article <9104051959.AA23768@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DA462CS@OPIE.BGSU.EDU writes:
> 	I had posted this to .questions a few days ago but after further
> reading I think this is a better newsgroup to post to.
>
> 	I am in the processing of setting up a 80486 machine to run UNIX,
> and am wondering what the various experiences of users are concerning
> the different vendors.  At this time I can get AT&T SVR4.0 at a good
> price, this is my choice right now.  Is there any benefit in going with
> the other guys: Interactive, SCO, ESIX, UHC????  Price is not a concern
> because personally I don't think the AT&T stuff is that expensive... I
> don't want to start any religious wars here, just some helpfull comments
> please...
>
> 			Thanks in advance...
> 			Michael L. Gantz
> 			DA462CS@opie.bgsu.edu
---------------
Michael,
	Two pieces of free advice:
	1. determine the state of device driver support for each Unix.
	2. determine whether your machine will even boot that Unix. For
example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.
	Joe D. (I have an AT&T SVR4 systems a'building)

rwhite@nusdecs.uucp (Robert White) (04/08/91)

In a recient industry rag it was noted that AT&T has named Interactive its
"Principal Publisher" for SVR4 so the AT&T release may not have a future
directly from AT&T.  It seems that all future SVR4 products with the AT&T
seal of aproval are going to come out of Interactive.  It may complicate
your future upgrade plans to go with straight AT&T at this time.

* AT&T  (They used to be "The Phone Company)
= Interactive (A wholly owned division of Kodak Corp)
! Me (an employee of neither 8-)
--
Robert C. White Jr.    |  The degree to which a language may be
Network Administrator  |   classified as a "living" language

yeh@cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr6.184400.47303@cc.usu.edu>, jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
> In article <9104051959.AA23768@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DA462CS@OPIE.BGSU.EDU writes:
> >
> > price, this is my choice right now.  Is there any benefit in going with
> > the other guys: Interactive, SCO, ESIX, UHC????  Price is not a concern
> ... For
> example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
> but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.
> 	Joe D. (I have an AT&T SVR4 systems a'building)

  Dell's sVr4.0.2 runs without problems on my 386-20 with AMI bios.

Wei Jen Yeh                      yeh@cs.purdue.edu
                                 Department of Computer Science
                                 Purdue University
                                 West Lafayette, Indiana
--

apb@cbnewsj.att.com (Amrit Bains) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr6.184400.47303@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
>In article <9104051959.AA23768@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DA462CS@OPIE.BGSU.EDU writes:
>> ... deleted...
>> the different vendors.  At this time I can get AT&T SVR4.0 at a good
>> price, this is my choice right now.  Is there any benefit in going with
>> the other guys: Interactive, SCO, ESIX, UHC????  Price is not a concern
>> because personally I don't think the AT&T stuff is that expensive... I
>> don't want to start any religious wars here, just some helpfull comments
>> please...
>>
>> 			Thanks in advance...
>> 			Michael L. Gantz
>> 			DA462CS@opie.bgsu.edu
>---------------
>Michael,
>	Two pieces of free advice:
>	1. determine the state of device driver support for each Unix.
>	2. determine whether your machine will even boot that Unix. For
>example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
>but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.
>	Joe D. (I have an AT&T SVR4 systems a'building)

I have an 386/25 System with an AMI BIOS I have successfully run both
AT&T SVR4.0 Ver 2.0 & AT&T SVR4.0 Ver 3.0.  We have several SVR4's running in
the building.

Amrit Bains
USL
abains@attunix.att.com

davec@shared.uucp (Dave Close) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr6.184400.47303@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
>	Two pieces of free advice:
>	2. determine whether your machine will even boot that Unix. For
>example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
>but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.

My Northgate Elegance 386 boots Intel SVr4 fine with the AMI BIOS.

--
       	Dave Close         Shared Financial Systems          Dallas
        	davec@shared.com       vmail +1 214 458 3850

In article <1991Apr6.184400.47303@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:

| 	2. determine whether your machine will even boot that Unix. For
| example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
| but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.

  With AMI BIOS I am 3 for 3 using Dell V.4, 2 for 2 using Intel. That
seems to indicate a certain lack of a general problem, although there
may be individual cases. Also, the BIOS may have nothing to do with the
problem, there are lots of other hardware limitations.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr13.034245.13047@shared.uucp> davec@shared.uucp (Dave Close) writes:
>In article <1991Apr6.184400.47303@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
>>	Two pieces of free advice:
>>	2. determine whether your machine will even boot that Unix. For
>>example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
>>but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.
>
>My Northgate Elegance 386 boots Intel SVr4 fine with the AMI BIOS.

I think jrd has it bass ackwards.  SVr4 doesn't like shadowed BIOS.  Phoenix
doesn't allow you to turn off BIOS shadowing in the set-up program, while
AMI does.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (04/17/91)

In article <9104152217.20@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>I think jrd has it bass ackwards.  SVr4 doesn't like shadowed BIOS.  Phoenix
>doesn't allow you to turn off BIOS shadowing in the set-up program, while
>AMI does.

No problems here with my AMI Voyager 486/33 and its shadowed BIOS and
SVR4.  Never needed to turn shadowing off...

-scott

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (04/18/91)

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:

>In article (Dave Close) writes:
>>In article jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:

>>>	2. determine whether your machine will even boot that Unix. For
>>>example, most AMI Bios machines I've checked will not boot AT&T's SVR4,
>>>but a Phoenix Bios is just fine.

>>My Northgate Elegance 386 boots Intel SVr4 fine with the AMI BIOS.

>I think jrd has it bass ackwards.  SVr4 doesn't like shadowed BIOS.  Phoenix
>doesn't allow you to turn off BIOS shadowing in the setup program, AMI does.
=====

I run Phoenix BIOS on my Mylex MXA-33 / Microport SVR4 with no problems.
My Phoenix BIOS allows me to turn off shadowing.  There are quite a
few versions and revs of Phoenix, AMI, et.al BIOSii (pl?) ...

Richard

Richard Ducoty		        \\\\\\\
Microport Inc.		          (.)(.) 			root@mport.com
voice=> (408) 438-8649	             >	 		  	duc@mport.com
fax=>   (408) 438-7560		    -				uunet!mport!duc
                          " militiae species amor est "

jon@turing.acs.virginia.edu (Jon Gefaell) (04/19/91)

>I have an 386/25 System with an AMI BIOS I have successfully run both
>AT&T SVR4.0 Ver 2.0 & AT&T SVR4.0 Ver 3.0.  We have several SVR4's running in
>the building.

I also am running AT&T SVR4.0 3.0 on AMI BIOS.

--
____
\  /

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/19/91)

In article <1183@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <9104152217.20@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>>I think jrd has it bass ackwards.  SVr4 doesn't like shadowed BIOS.  Phoenix
>>doesn't allow you to turn off BIOS shadowing in the set-up program, while
>>AMI does.
>
>No problems here with my AMI Voyager 486/33 and its shadowed BIOS and
>SVR4.  Never needed to turn shadowing off...

There are two possibilities here:

	1. It was hardware specific to Micronics 386/33 motherboards.

	2. I saw this in early SVR2 sources.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/23/91)

In article <9104182047.25@rmkhome.UUCP>, rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
> In article <1183@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>>In article <9104152217.20@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>>>I think jrd has it bass ackwards.  SVr4 doesn't like shadowed BIOS.  Phoenix
>>>doesn't allow you to turn off BIOS shadowing in the set-up program, while
>>>AMI does.
>>
>>No problems here with my AMI Voyager 486/33 and its shadowed BIOS and
>>SVR4.  Never needed to turn shadowing off...
>
> There are two possibilities here:
>
> 	1. It was hardware specific to Micronics 386/33 motherboards.
>
> 	2. I saw this in early SVR2 sources.
>
> Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP
-----------------
	Hmmm. Ok fellas. First I'll be happy to be all wet now and then if
some progress is made simultaneously. But my observations have been many AMI
machines won't survive creation of the initial Unix RAM disk from the boot
floppy. But many Phoenix ROM systems will. Nothing to do with shadowing, at
least not in the obvious ways because I've tried the variations. Playing with
the A20 line adjustments of AMI Bios's did not help either. So, I presume
there are some pretty vast differences concerning the fast ways of getting
into protected mode (setting up the system as a RAM disk one) that the
Intel written RAM disk software can't cope with. That's a Beware item for
new buyers.
	Another item I mentioned was to be very cautious about the promised
support for peripherals, such as disk drives, tape drives, Ethernet boards,
and the like. I am tearing my hair out now over a SCSI disk problem where
the same brand controller (WD 7000 FASST2) as AT&T uses is rejected by
AT&T SVR4.02.1. Stealing AT&T's rendition of the board next shows Unix to
reject my CDC drive (Seagate's ident of ST4766N, CDC's 94191-766). Naturally
none of this is mentioned in the AT&T docs. I have some hints on all this
but nothing I can mention in public. And I feel that AT&T is not necessarily
unique in this regard (just what SCSI system does DELL use? Not a word in
print that I've seen).
	My feeling is the Unix vendors are destroying their own market by
hiding the true systems components requirments. The "buy Unix, now" hyperbole
is a little out of hand, particularly if one wants to assemble "equivalent"
pieces rather than purchasing a turnkey system at triple the real price. It's
expensive and not much fun writing drivers for all and sundry peripherals
so I appreciate their inability to support everything on the market. But
candidness is needed somewhere in the purchasing chain.
	Ok, interesting comments on this might shed light on the situation.
Please let off steam by direct mail to jrd@cc.usu.edu and in turn I'll not
consume network bandwidth pouring out my troubles.
	Btw, I do appreciate the couple of people who are helping me sort
out the above by offline msgs.
	Joe D.

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (04/26/91)

jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
[various serious hardware hassles deleted]

> 	My feeling is the Unix vendors are destroying their own market by
> hiding the true systems components requirments. The "buy Unix, now" hyperbole
> is a little out of hand, particularly if one wants to assemble "equivalent"
> pieces rather than purchasing a turnkey system at triple the real price...

I see the problem more at the hardware manufacturers.  Their attitude, all
too often, is "if it doesn't fail on DOS, it works just fine."  It's very
hard for the UNIX world to be able to second-guess all the ways hardware
vendors can botch a design, such that DOS won't find the botch but UNIX
will.  The magic word "equivalent" hides a lot (as I suspect jrd realizes
all too well after his [mis]adventures).
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (04/26/91)

In <1991Apr22.175643.47521@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:

>In article <9104182047.25@rmkhome.UUCP>, rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
[Comments about AT&T and WD7000 deleted]
>but nothing I can mention in public. And I feel that AT&T is not necessarily
>unique in this regard (just what SCSI system does DELL use? Not a word in
>print that I've seen).

We support the Adaptec 1542x (where x=whatever) and hence the 1740 in
compatability mode and the Dell Drive Array. Certainly in the UK, the
Adaptec seems the most common SCSI card.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim