[comp.unix.sysv386] "Pauses" while cu'ing between two SCO systems

chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us (j chapman flack) (04/30/91)

In article <6168@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM> root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey [ADMIN]) writes:
>I login to the system, and almost everytime, as it is displaying the first
>screen of login messages, it will just freeze in the middle of a line and
>sit there and will only resume if you hit ENTER!?!?!
>
> Also, freezes occur suring uucico transfers.  On large
>files, it will chug merrily along for a while then stop for no reason, then
>after about a 10 second pause (enough for an alarm - I think), it picks up
>again.  This is a big downer here.

I wonder if these problems could have nothing to do with your modems.  They
both seem awfully familiar, and I'm running ODT 1.0.1 UFE and never dialing
into it.  I have xdm running, which puts up a pretty login window on tty01,
while the remaining multiscreens are in character mode.  User root does not
have a .xsession file, so logging in as root on the X multiscreen simply
produces an xterm (the default action) in which you see all of the login
messages you see if you do a vanilla login on one of the other multiscreens.
However, on the xterm, the display pauses immediately after "term=(ansi)"
and will only resume if you hit ENTER!?!?!  This doesn't happen on a vanilla
multiscreen.

I also have freezes during uucico transfers, only on large files, and I'm
using a vanilla 2400bps modem.  It will chug merrily along for a while and
then stop for no reason.  Sometimes it will restart after an alarm or two,
sometimes it will just collect alarms until the conversation fails.  Always:

ASSERT ERROR (uucico)  pid: nnnn (m/dd-h:mm:ss) PKXSTART ret  (0) [FILE: pk1.c, LINE: 345]

Perhaps by finding other ODT users with similar problems, we can get some idea
what they *really* all have in common....
--
Chap Flack                         Their tanks will rust.  Our songs will last.
chap@art-sy.detroit.mi.us                                   -Mikos Theodorakis

Nothing I say represents Appropriate Roles for Technology unless I say it does.