[comp.unix.sysv386] Since Most Everythings's right with SCO Can we make it smaller?

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/24/91)

The current (maybe hopefully past) ankle-biting parade over SCO is of no
interest to me.   SCO is as great as the world deserves.  Now, on to
business.

I noticed that the Xenix 2.3.2 kernel is about 1000K.   The SCO Unix
kernel is about 2000K.   All worthwhile, no doubt.   However, one of the
new machines I just brought up is about 1000k short of memory and is
paging under heavy load.  (> 18 users)

Are there any things I can safely reconfigure out which will get me
down to the size of Xenix?   I was hoping in terms of features we don't
use like RFS, NFS, TCP, etc.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal

marc@jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) (04/24/91)

In article <204@mnopltd.UUCP>, neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
> The current (maybe hopefully past) ankle-biting parade over SCO is of no
> interest to me.   SCO is as great as the world deserves.  Now, on to
> business.
>
> I noticed that the Xenix 2.3.2 kernel is about 1000K.   The SCO Unix
> kernel is about 2000K.

I thought that the advantage of Xenix was that it was supposed to be tiny.
I also thought that I had a rather massive kernel on my ISC 2.2.  My
kernel is 750K.  Are you sure you have your numbers right?

Marc Rossner
jahangir!marc@uunet.uu.net

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/25/91)

marc@jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) writes:
>I thought that the advantage of Xenix was that it was supposed to be tiny.
>I also thought that I had a rather massive kernel on my ISC 2.2.  My
>kernel is 750K.  Are you sure you have your numbers right?

Reading this thread, I can't help but to wonder:  why worry about
kernel size, these days?  I've long been one to complain about the fact
that software seems to get larger in direct proportion to the decrease
in memory costs, and often slower due to its increasing complexity, but
in the case of a reasonably well-performing O/S with lots of features,
why worry so much about kernel size?

Add another megabyte to the system and the problem will go away.  Seems
a fairly simple and economical solution.  Even at 1-2Mb, kernels remain
significantly smaller than most applications.  (As compared to ten
years ago on mainframe computers, when a kernel was typically many
times larger than an application.)

-rich

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (04/25/91)

marc@jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) writes:

> In article <204@mnopltd.UUCP>, neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
> > I noticed that the Xenix 2.3.2 kernel is about 1000K.   The SCO Unix
> > kernel is about 2000K.

> I thought that the advantage of Xenix was that it was supposed to be tiny.

Well, it's *comparatively* tiny.  It's *comfortable* to do useful work
on a 2 Mb RAM 40 Mb disc Xenix machine, so long as no networking is
required.  That's HUGE by comparison with what you needed to do useful work
under V7 on a PDP, but tiny compared to what you need for any comparable
386 System V.

> I also thought that I had a rather massive kernel on my ISC 2.2.  My
> kernel is 750K.  Are you sure you have your numbers right?

Hmm..  Let's see

$ size /unix		# SCO System V/386 3.2.0, no networking, no STREAMS
426840 + 70352 + 285236 = 782428
$ ls -l /unix
----r--r--   1 bin      mem       657193 Mar 19 18:08 /unix

Ok.  Now, let's check a Xenix kernel out.

# mount /dev/fd096 /mnt -r 	# SCO Xenix 386AT 2.3.2 N1 boot disc
$ size /mnt/xenix
240256 + 39492 + 82860 = 362608 = 0x58870
$ ls -l /mnt/xenix
-rw-r--r--   1 sys      sys       311531 Jan 12  1989 /mnt/xenix

Remember, this kernel is quite happy to execute System V/386 3.2 COFF
binaries, including ones linked against the shared libc.  And the
default configuration is for a small, non-networked machine, but it's
fine for a couple of people to do real work with.

OK, let's get the figures for a Xenix kernel with TCP/IP and configured
up with tape drivers and enough kernel resources to cope with 15-20
users, etc etc.

ls -l gives 860169			# yeah, I'm typing this in from a
size gives 390424 + 423636 + 0 = 814060 # cu(1) session in the other window.

I don't have the figures for an equivalently configured System V/386
kernel.  Someone else ?
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (04/25/91)

In article <545@jahangir.UUCP> marc@jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) writes:
>In article <204@mnopltd.UUCP>, neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:

>> I noticed that the Xenix 2.3.2 kernel is about 1000K.   The SCO Unix
>> kernel is about 2000K.                                      ^^^^^^^^

>I thought that the advantage of Xenix was that it was supposed to be tiny.
                                 ^^^^^

SCO manufactures BOTH Xenix and Unix.   Xenix is small in comparison to
Unix.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/25/91)

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>Reading this thread, I can't help but to wonder:  why worry about
>kernel size, these days?  I've long been one to complain about the fact
>that software seems to get larger in direct proportion to the decrease
>in memory costs, and often slower due to its increasing complexity, but
>in the case of a reasonably well-performing O/S with lots of features,
>why worry so much about kernel size?

	Recent history proves this assumed correlation false. The radical
increase in memory demands (roughly 1987-90) resulted from the move to
RISC, windowing environments (MS and X Windows), heavy networking, etc.
That same period also witnessed *increased* memory prices partly resulting
from the move to 1 MB chips (and general shortages of same) and the foolish
memory floor price agreement with Japan.

>Add another megabyte to the system and the problem will go away.  Seems
>a fairly simple and economical solution.  Even at 1-2Mb, kernels remain
>significantly smaller than most applications.  (As compared to ten
>years ago on mainframe computers, when a kernel was typically many
>times larger than an application.)

	This line of thought assumes, at minimum, that the system
architecture supports minimal, and inexpensive, memory increases. That's
not always the case. Examples: Try to take a NEC Powermate from 2 MB to 3,
4 MB to 6, or 8 MB to 12. Can't do it. Another example. To increase a NeXT
workstation from 8 MB, one must take it all the way to *20* MB (16 if one
gets rid of surplus 1 MB SIMMS). Inexpensive it won't be.

	In summary? End the bloat. Bring on the UN!X Lite.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

In article <7395@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
> Reading this thread, I can't help but to wonder:  why worry about
> kernel size, these days?

Memory is cheap. But it isn't free.

> Add another megabyte to the system and the problem will go away.

You want me to stop complaining, you buy me new motherboards for all the
old Compaq 386es with 1MB on the motherboard, 4MB max, and anything over 2MB
real expensive that we're stuck with.

> Seems
> a fairly simple and economical solution.  Even at 1-2Mb, kernels remain
> significantly smaller than most applications.

What are you RUNNING? The biggest things I run are O(100K).
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr25.153709.552@bilver.uucp> bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>In article <545@jahangir.UUCP> marc@jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) writes:
>>In article <204@mnopltd.UUCP>, neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>>> I noticed that the Xenix 2.3.2 kernel is about 1000K.   The SCO Unix
>>> kernel is about 2000K.                                      ^^^^^^^^
>>I thought that the advantage of Xenix was that it was supposed to be tiny.
>                                 ^^^^^
>SCO manufactures BOTH Xenix and Unix.   Xenix is small in comparison to
>Unix.

kithrup 1> size /unix
591700 + 79492 + 465460 = 1136652

I wish kithrup still had it's xenix kernel, so you could see the difference.
What was it, you ask?  Well, kithrup's xenix kernel was about 500k total,
and that included STREAMS and whatnot (my ex-housemate ran X on it, so we
bumped up some limits, and put in a few extra device drivers).  kithrup is
running with networking, STREAMS, and whatnot.  (No NFS, though.)

I have seen SCO UNIX kernels approaching 4Mbytes (lots and lots and lots of
drivers, mostly); I have also seen xenix kernels approaching 2Mbytes.  The
main difference, at that point, is that there *is* so much more for unix:
filesystems (cd-rom, dos, nfs, rfs), more device drivers out there, etc.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/29/91)

->
->In article <204@mnopltd.UUCP>, neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
->> The current (maybe hopefully past) ankle-biting parade over SCO is of no
->> interest to me.   SCO is as great as the world deserves.  Now, on to
->> business.
->>
->> I noticed that the Xenix 2.3.2 kernel is about 1000K.   The SCO Unix
->> kernel is about 2000K.
->
->I thought that the advantage of Xenix was that it was supposed to be tiny.
->I also thought that I had a rather massive kernel on my ISC 2.2.  My
->kernel is 750K.  Are you sure you have your numbers right?
->
->Marc Rossner
->jahangir!marc@uunet.uu.net
->

I quoteth /usr/adm/messages:

L4L5L6MNOPmem: total = 3712k, reserved = 4k, kernel = 1148k, user = 2560k
                                                      ^^^^^

This includes: 2 Computone Boards

[...]

Why worry indeed: because on this box (NCR 3445) another MB costs $4000!
Unfortunate result of building a box with 16mb memory boards with
surface mount chips.  We are sitting at 16mb now and would rather make it
work if possible.

BUT, if it were not for that brick wall I would tend to agree with you.

In article <TIZAOGB@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

| > Seems
| > a fairly simple and economical solution.  Even at 1-2Mb, kernels remain
| > significantly smaller than most applications.
|
| What are you RUNNING? The biggest things I run are O(100K).

  You can run GNUemacs under MOTIF without paging in 32MB per user...
Perhaps it's stuff like that. Actually I bet the compiler takes more
than your 100k, but I'd bet I can run hours at a time without getting a
process over a single MB.

  I'm unhappy with application bloat, too. MicroEmacs <120k even with
some extensions and enhancements (and three sets of bug fixes).
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

In article <3822@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> In article <TIZAOGB@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> | > Seems
> | > a fairly simple and economical solution.  Even at 1-2Mb, kernels remain
> | > significantly smaller than most applications.

> | What are you RUNNING? The biggest things I run are O(100K).

>   You can run GNUemacs under MOTIF without paging in 32MB per user...
> Perhaps it's stuff like that. Actually I bet the compiler takes more
> than your 100k, but I'd bet I can run hours at a time without getting a
> process over a single MB.

-rwx--x--x   1 bin      bin        21064 Sep  1  1987 /bin/cc
-rwx--x--x   1 bin      bin        31785 Sep  1  1987 /lib/p0
-rwx--x--x   1 bin      bin        67345 Sep  1  1987 /lib/p1
-rwx--x--x   1 bin      bin       109703 Sep  1  1987 /lib/p2
-rwx--x--x   1 bin      bin        65711 Sep  1  1987 /lib/p3

/bin/cc: 15056 + 5818 + 2402 = 23276 = 0x5aec
/lib/p0: 25184 + 6410 + 9606 = 41200 = 0xa0f0
/lib/p1: 51864 + 15290 + 8240 = 75394 = 0x12682
/lib/p2: 68657 + 40792 + 4978 = 114427 = 0x1befb
/lib/p3: 54872 + 10648 + 6040 = 71560 = 0x11788

but then...

-rw-------   1 sysinfo  bin       239874 Apr 15 20:33 /xenix
/xenix: 192411 + 19072 + 45786 = 257269 = 0x3ecf5

And that's with OpenNET support.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com