[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO unix terminal database corruption problem

cm@jet.uucp (colin manning) (05/01/91)

A SCO Unix system I use crashed the other day whilst logging in.
Now having rebooted etc, whenever I try to login the system
complains to the effect that the terminal database is corrupted, or
words to the same effect.

Anyone know how to clear this one ?

Many thanks in advance
--
- Colin Manning, cm%jet.uucp@ukc.ac.uk (world) OR cm@jet.uucp (UK only)
- Disclaimer: Please note that the above is a personal view and should not

slootman@dri.nl (Paul Slootman) (05/02/91)

cm@jet.uucp (colin manning) writes:
>A SCO Unix system I use crashed the other day whilst logging in.
>Now having rebooted etc, whenever I try to login the system
>complains to the effect that the terminal database is corrupted, or
>words to the same effect.
>
>Anyone know how to clear this one ?

Login in on the console (i.e. the first multiscreen, that will work,
even though all other terminals / screens won't) as root. Go to the
/etc/auth/system directory. Check to see if you have any files named
"ttys-o" or "ttys-t" (or anything like it). Also check that the "ttys"
file is not empty. If not, rm the ttys-o and/or ttys-t files. The
problem should be gone now.
If the ttys file *is* empty, you have to copy the ttys-? file to it
(I think, do on your own risk!!!!!!!!!! I haven't had this, only the
first situation I described).
Don't ask me why this works, or why this situation comes to be. It
just happens sometimes (here).

Paul.
--
:slootman@dri.nl : When you get to the point where you think that nothing