[comp.unix.sysv386] configuring FAS

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/28/91)

I've installed FAS 2.08 on my ESIX machine, and need to make a change as
described in the README.  I need to make it so HUPCL will be set so
carrier will drop when users log out.  Here is an excerpt from the
README:

     - Note: If a device is carrier controlled, this implies the generation
             of a SIGHUP signal with every carrier high->low. This is of
             course only true if the CLOCAL flag is *not* set.

             On my own system I prefer a minor device number of `0101xxxx'
             (80 + device #) for the non-blocking tty node and `1101xxxx'
             (208 + device #) for the blocking tty node. This gives me
             the SIGHUP signal on carrier loss and full duplex hardware
             flow control with both logical devices. Dialout while a dialin
             open is waiting for the carrier is also possible with this
             setup.

This looks like what I need to configure.  I really don't know how (or
where) to set the bit masks.  How is this done?

Thanks!

Bill Heiser

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) (04/29/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I've installed FAS 2.08 on my ESIX machine, and need to make a change as
>described in the README.  I need to make it so HUPCL will be set so
>carrier will drop when users log out.  Here is an excerpt from the
>README:
>
>     - Note: If a device is carrier controlled, this implies the generation
>             of a SIGHUP signal with every carrier high->low. This is of
>             course only true if the CLOCAL flag is *not* set.
>
>             On my own system I prefer a minor device number of `0101xxxx'
>             (80 + device #) for the non-blocking tty node and `1101xxxx'
>             (208 + device #) for the blocking tty node. This gives me
>             the SIGHUP signal on carrier loss and full duplex hardware
>             flow control with both logical devices. Dialout while a dialin
>             open is waiting for the carrier is also possible with this
>             setup.
>
>This looks like what I need to configure.  I really don't know how (or
>where) to set the bit masks.  How is this done?

It is the default configuration. So you don't need to do anything.

You should differentiate between the case where the modem tells the
computer that it hung up the line (DCD drop), and the case where the
compter tells the modem that it should hang up (DTR drop). The first
is controlled by the CLOCAL flag, and works only for ports that have
modem control. The latter is controlled by the HUPCL flag.

From your previous postings I had the impression that your problem
is that your computer doesn't tell the modem to hang up. This has
nothing to do with CLOCAL and modem control, but rather with HUPCL.
But I still have no idea what's going wrong on your system. On other
ESIX systems FAS 2.08 works as expected. There has to be some detail
that you didn't tell us yet. For instance, did you check the state
of the HUPCL flag just before the logout? Maybe one of your programs
clears this flag.

      Uwe
--
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de
Berlin       |----------------------------------------------------------------

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (04/29/91)

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:

> You should differentiate between the case where the modem tells the
> computer that it hung up the line (DCD drop), and the case where the
> compter tells the modem that it should hang up (DTR drop). The first
> is controlled by the CLOCAL flag, and works only for ports that have
> modem control. The latter is controlled by the HUPCL flag.

This is a little off the subject, but perhaps you could help me:

I'm running FAS 2.08 with ISC 2.2 and it works fine for modems
(device 208, etc.) and also for hardwired connections (device 80,
etc.). Now I want to be able to link from a dialin port to a
hardwired port connected to a BBS.

I've written a little handy-dandy that does the link OK and I can
dial in, link to the BBS and upload/download ASCII and binary OK.
The only trouble is that when the BBS hangs up, the handy-dandy
doesn't get a hangup signal.

I'm running the hardwired port as if it were modem with a cable
that connects the DTR of the BBS to the CD & DSR of the port and
have a tester on the line and can see that the CS & DSR go off
when the BBS hangs up, but no signal comes to the handy-dandy
(if I send a signal with kill -1, it hangs up OK).

When I put a PC on the hardwired "modem" port and connect to the
UNIX system, it hangs up OK, but not when I dial in and link to the
BBS on the hardwired "modem" port.

Any ideas?

--Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
              <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET
              <davidg%aegis.or.jp@jpnkyoto.kyoto-u.ac.jp> BITNET
              <davidg%aegis.or.jp%kyoto-u.ac.jp@uunet.uu.net> via UUNET

==== The Aegis Society =============================================
Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/30/91)

In article <3PFQQ4G@geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:

>From your previous postings I had the impression that your problem
>is that your computer doesn't tell the modem to hang up. This has
>nothing to do with CLOCAL and modem control, but rather with HUPCL.
>But I still have no idea what's going wrong on your system. On other
>ESIX systems FAS 2.08 works as expected. There has to be some detail
>that you didn't tell us yet. For instance, did you check the state
>of the HUPCL flag just before the logout? Maybe one of your programs
>clears this flag.

hmmm... When I login, and type 'stty -a', it shows '-hupcl'.

Say, anyone out there running Esix with FAS 2.08 seen this? (carrier
not dropping on logout on remote port, but instead coming back with
a login: prompt?)

If I type 'stty hupcl' before logging out, carrier drops as expeted.

--

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) (04/30/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>In article <3PFQQ4G@geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
>>
>>that you didn't tell us yet. For instance, did you check the state
>>of the HUPCL flag just before the logout? Maybe one of your programs
>>clears this flag.
>
>hmmm... When I login, and type 'stty -a', it shows '-hupcl'.
>
>Say, anyone out there running Esix with FAS 2.08 seen this? (carrier
>not dropping on logout on remote port, but instead coming back with
>a login: prompt?)
>
>If I type 'stty hupcl' before logging out, carrier drops as expeted.

Then all is well with FAS. Now you "only" have to find the reason why
the HUPCL flag is cleared despite the (correct) entry in /etc/gettydefs.

      Uwe
--

bob@rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.214212.17923@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Say, anyone out there running Esix with FAS 2.08 seen this? (carrier
>not dropping on logout on remote port, but instead coming back with
>a login: prompt?)

I am running ESIX with FAS 2.08 on one of my systems and in testing
this on my system I observed the same behavior (line not dropping on
logout).  After adding HUPCL to the gettydefs entry for the dialin
line it now works as desired (dropping of the line on logout).

--
Bob Willcox             ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!rancor!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/02/91)

In article <304@rancor.UUCP> bob@rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox) writes:

>I am running ESIX with FAS 2.08 on one of my systems and in testing
>this on my system I observed the same behavior (line not dropping on
>logout).  After adding HUPCL to the gettydefs entry for the dialin
>line it now works as desired (dropping of the line on logout).

Eggaddssss!!!!  I'm SOOOOO embarrassed!  I was quoting my gettydefs
file to show in this post, and just noticed that HUPCL was mistyped
(by yours truly no less) as HUCPL.  hmmm.. Funny that GETTY didn't
notice that I was Mr. Nimblefingers. hheeheee!

Thanks much to those of you who responded with various suggestions.

bill

--

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.214212.17923@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>hmmm... When I login, and type 'stty -a', it shows '-hupcl'.
>
>Say, anyone out there running Esix with FAS 2.08 seen this? (carrier
>not dropping on logout on remote port, but instead coming back with
>a login: prompt?)

Nope.... BTW here is the gettydef entry I am using:

19200M# B19200 HUPCL OPOST ONLCR TAB3 BRKINT IXON IXANY ISTRIP ECHO ECHOE ECHOK ICANON ISIG CS8 CREAD # B19200 OPOST ONLCR TAB3 BRKINT IXON IXANY ISTRIP ECHO ECHOE ECHOK ICANON ISIG CS8 CREAD HUPCL #(For ESIX BBS System Type bbs ) login: #19200M

I hope this may help (BTW this is a 8 bit login!), I am using the default
FAS 2.08 setup using minor #80 for ttyF00 and 208 for ttyFM00.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V
                        UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde