[comp.unix.sysv386] How do you get SLIP fot ISC?

turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu (Staff- Bob S Turner) (04/29/91)

I have been following the ongoing discussions about slip et al.  Paying
attention half the time. Until this week I didn't think I would need to
worry about. Bzzt. Wrong Answer.

Well, I need to know how people have acquired slip for ISC. (Doesn't this
sound like an FAQ?) By the way, I already use FAS (Nice job Uwe!).

Email would probably be best, but what ever..........

Bob
Bob Turner                    Network Manager, School of Engineering
513-229-3171                           turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu
Univ. of Dayton, Engineering Computing Center-KL211, Dayton OH 45469

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/30/91)

turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu (Staff- Bob S Turner) writes:

>Well, I need to know how people have acquired slip for ISC. (Doesn't this
>sound like an FAQ?) By the way, I already use FAS (Nice job Uwe!).

SLIP comes with ISC UNIX

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

shi@po.CWRU.Edu (Steven H. Izen) (05/02/91)

In a previous article, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) says:

>turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu (Staff- Bob S Turner) writes:

>>Well, I need to know how people have acquired slip for ISC. (Doesn't this
>>sound like an FAQ?) By the way, I already use FAS (Nice job Uwe!).

>SLIP comes with ISC UNIX

No it doesn't.  It comes with ISC TCP/IP, something I found out after
upgrading to 3.2.2.  And guess what?  The Hollis, NH salesperson told me
that SL/IP came with ISC UNIX...

--
Steven H. Izen, Associate Professor, (as of 7/1/91) Dept. of Math. and Stat.
Reply to shi@po.cwru.edu or steve@izen386.math.cwru.edu or

tin@smsc.sony.com (Le Tin) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.170218.3003@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> shi@po.CWRU.Edu (Steven H. Izen) writes:

>In a previous article, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) says:
>
>>turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu (Staff- Bob S Turner) writes:
>
>>>Well, I need to know how people have acquired slip for ISC. (Doesn't this
>>>sound like an FAQ?) By the way, I already use FAS (Nice job Uwe!).
>
>>SLIP comes with ISC UNIX
>
>No it doesn't.  It comes with ISC TCP/IP, something I found out after
>upgrading to 3.2.2.  And guess what?  The Hollis, NH salesperson told me
>that SL/IP came with ISC UNIX...

SLIP comes with the TCP/IP pkg for ISC but only work with ISC v2.2 and newer
(I think).  So if you have v2.0.2, it won't do you much good.

There is an alternative for ISC 2.0.2 that you can use, and even better, it's
FREE.  Someone (sorry I forgot the name, the software is at home) ported
NOS (Network OS) from KA9Q to System V and it has SLIP.

There are some caveats with this package:

	- you can only "go out" to another machine that has SLIP (slattach).

	- it's not integrated with the kernel so you can't do things like
	  remote NFS mount, nor export.

	- The current software doesn't have an rlogind, nor ftpd (you could
	  port it yourself from the freed BSD code).

The advantages are:

	- for simple SLIP sessions to another machine, it works.  Telnet
	  and ftp are available.

	- it's free and comes with source code.

I have a 386/20Mhz machine running ISC v2.0.2 and I got NOS running on it
within a few minutes of compiling and installing it.  With a direct serial
connection (19.2K) to my Sony NEWS workstation (running BSD 4.3), I could
do simple login (telnet) and copy files (ftp).  That was 90% of what I
needed, and the price was right.

There were time when I wished it could do NFS mount, for file sharing during
software development...  But NFS sources are not free.  There is a user
level NFS package for MSDOS (SOSS), that might work here if someone is
willing to do the work of porting it.  I don't have time and I don't need
it that badly.

Where to get NOS for SysV?  I found it at two ftp sites:

	thumper.bellcore.com
	primerd.prime.com

For anon UUCP, you can pull it off szebra (my PUB NIX site):

	1-408-739-1520 (Telebit+ so 300-19.2)
	login: nuucp
	password: nuucp
	~/ls-lR.Z for latest directory listing

Sorry, I forgot which directory it's in.

-- Tin

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin@smsc.Sony.COM

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/03/91)