[comp.unix.sysv386] swap space not first partition

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (04/26/91)

I was installing ISC on a single spindle system the other day and I
got the bright idea to put the swap partition in between root and
/usr.  Made some sense that it might help a bit even though you'd
have to seek across it every time whether you were swapping or not.

The installation scripts wouldn't let me do it, maybe they were
protecting me from myself.  Has anyone put swap space in the middle
of the disk?  Any thoughts regarding whether or not this is a smart
thing to do?  I think I know how to do it by hand, I'm curious about
whether or not anyone has tried it.

Alternatively it might make some sense in a system with lots of memory
to have it as the last partition.  Any comments or opinions about that?
--
Bill Kennedy  internet  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM or ssbn!bill@attmail.COM
              uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/28/91)

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>The installation scripts wouldn't let me do it, maybe they were
>protecting me from myself.  Has anyone put swap space in the middle
>of the disk?  Any thoughts regarding whether or not this is a smart
>thing to do?  I think I know how to do it by hand, I'm curious about
>whether or not anyone has tried it.

	The old Zilog Z8000, on which I worked for several years, came
with default partitions as follows:

	partition 0: /usr   1: swap   2: root   3: /tmp   4: /z

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (04/30/91)

In article <2059@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>I was installing ISC on a single spindle system the other day and I
>got the bright idea to put the swap partition in between root and
>/usr.  Made some sense that it might help a bit even though you'd
>have to seek across it every time whether you were swapping or not.

>The installation scripts wouldn't let me do it, maybe they were
>protecting me from myself.  Has anyone put swap space in the middle
>of the disk?  Any thoughts regarding whether or not this is a smart
>thing to do?  I think I know how to do it by hand, I'm curious about
>whether or not anyone has tried it.

Putting the swap between two file systems on a single hard disk is
the default method that SCO uses.  It seems to work for them.

This goes along with the thinking of some other operating systems I
have used by putting frequently accessed tracks in a central
location, eg a part of the disk where the average access time is
the same - in those small OSes the directories were placed in the
center of the disk.

It would seem to be a logical place for swap, but I have not seen
(nor done) tests pointing to this.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr30.030757.16643@bilver.uucp>, bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
> Putting the swap between two file systems on a single hard disk is
> the default method that SCO uses.  It seems to work for them.
>
> This goes along with the thinking of some other operating systems I
> have used by putting frequently accessed tracks in a central
> location, eg a part of the disk where the average access time is
> the same - in those small OSes the directories were placed in the
> center of the disk.

It's funny - I started doing a lot of fancy figuring along this line
when setting up an SCO system with large SCSI disks.  The idea was to get
things moved around on the disk for optimum performance.

It was pretty much a waste of time, though, since someone pointed out
to me that the Adaptec SCSI adapter I was using was creating 100%
ficticious drive geometry numbers, and that the SCSI block numbers they
were translated to could be just about anywhere on the disk (as determined
by the on-board disk controller).

Moral: just cause the output of "divvy" makes it look like you're
putting things in the middle, doesn't mean it's so.

James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651