[comp.unix.sysv386] Word Perfect on Vp/ix ?

tbetz@panix.uucp (Tom Betz) (05/04/91)

In <219@mnopltd.UUCP> neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:

>->
>->les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>->>In article <1991Apr25.173734.16964@nstar.rn.com> (Larry Snyder) writes:
>->>>what is buggy about VP/ix?  We have the latest release here, and to
>->>>date everything we have tried with it worked just fine.
>->>
>->>Can you finally run Wordperfect 5.0/5.1 with all the files on the
>->>unix file system?
>->
>->I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
>->'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter
>->presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
>->politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
>->a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
>->expensive, but actually the same) product.

>Has anyone verified that the networked version will function AND print
>complex documents with all files on the unix file system?

Before we broke down and bought the Unix version of Word Perfect,
I set up a 2MB RAM disk using a PD DOS Ramdisk driver (XPANDISK)
running under VP/ix, loaded the Word Perfect configuration files
up there, and started up Word Perfect (5.0) agains it using the
appropriate command line switch.  Thus, WP used the Ram drive to
spool its files on, and simply loaded and saved documents on the
networked H: drive.  I also maintained the printer and dictionary
files, and the fonts, on the networked drive, using the Setup
command.

Note, this was not using the Network version of WP, and I don't
know whether this will work with 5.1... but if you have RAM to
spare, this is a workable solution.

I published the instructions in detail on the Net, and SCO picked
it up, and told me they would publish it in an upcoming DiSCOver
magazine.  I never saw it published, but it may have been after
we let our support contract lapse.  It may also have been
archived on SCO's support BBS;  I haven't called there in a very
long while.

If you can at all justify it, I heartily recommend buying a copy
of WP 5.0 for Unix... it is so much better than hassling with
VP/ix.

--
Tom Betz -- 114 Woodworth Avenue - Yonkers, NY 10701-2509 -- (914) 375-1510
 rutgers!cmcl2!panix!tbetz | apple!panix!tbetz | panix!tbetz@cmcl2.nyu.edu