[comp.unix.sysv386] Max ULIMIT on ESIX

rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) (05/02/91)

I had a bit of fun creating large files from a cron job, the max file size
allwed was 3072 blocks.  Ok, check in the kernal config, yup that was it.

Problem is that mtune has the entry:
> ULIMIT   3072   2048   12288
and 12288 aint enough either.  Will something break if I go beyond this size?

This is on Esix Rev C.  Rev D soon, so, does rev D fix this?
How about Esix SVR4?
--
She bit me, now I'll live forever - Al Bundy, MwC

Hey, have a nice one.   Robert den Hartog. {rden|robert}@{rden|mercury}.gen.nz
	 ...If it don't work, yell it, I like bang paths, they work.

rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) writes:
>I had a bit of fun creating large files from a cron job, the max file size
>allwed was 3072 blocks.  Ok, check in the kernal config, yup that was it.

>Problem is that mtune has the entry:
>> ULIMIT   3072   2048   12288
>and 12288 aint enough either.  Will something break if I go beyond this size?

Nothing will break if you go beyond this size.  (ours is set to 99999).  the
FAQ for this newsgroup explains this pretty well.

>How about Esix SVR4?

SVR4 is verry different.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

toma@swsrv1.cirr.com (Tom Armistead) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May2.104901.1115@rden.gen.nz> rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) writes:

>I had a bit of fun creating large files from a cron job, the max file size
>allwed was 3072 blocks.  Ok, check in the kernal config, yup that was it.
>
>Problem is that mtune has the entry:
>> ULIMIT   3072   2048   12288
>and 12288 aint enough either.  Will something break if I go beyond this size?
>
>This is on Esix Rev C.  Rev D soon, so, does rev D fix this?
>How about Esix SVR4?
>--
>She bit me, now I'll live forever - Al Bundy, MwC
>
>Hey, have a nice one.   Robert den Hartog. {rden|robert}@{rden|mercury}.gen.nz
>	 ...If it don't work, yell it, I like bang paths, they work.

Nope, it won't break anything, you just have to enlarge the max value in the
mtune file (I have my ULIMIT set at 300000).

Tom
--
Tom Armistead - Software Services - 2918 Dukeswood Dr. - Garland, Tx  75040
toma@swsrv1.cirr.com                {egsner,letni,ozdaltx,void}!swsrv1!toma