[comp.unix.sysv386] Lotus-123 for Unix on a i486

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (05/05/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>In article <1991Apr30.135708.19899@bilver.uucp> bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>>
>>On the Lotus-123 for Unix is says it will run under SCO Xenix too.  But
>>the kicker is - it specifically states it will NOT run on '486 machines.
>>So they have done something to make it hardware dependant.
>>
>>Anyone have the inside story on this.

>Could it have something to do with the built-in math co-processor on
>the 486 chip?

Could it be the software has been crippled deliberately
(this can be done using assembler code) so to ask extra $$
for an "enhanced i486" version?

--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

gar@spiff.UUCP (Gordon Runkle) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.214642.27855@cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
   bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
   >In article <1991Apr30.135708.19899@bilver.uucp> bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
   >>On the Lotus-123 for Unix is says it will run under SCO Xenix too.  But
   >>the kicker is - it specifically states it will NOT run on '486 machines.
   >>So they have done something to make it hardware dependant.
   >>
   >>Anyone have the inside story on this.

   >Could it have something to do with the built-in math co-processor on
   >the 486 chip?

   Could it be the software has been crippled deliberately
   (this can be done using assembler code) so to ask extra $$
   for an "enhanced i486" version?

I called Lotus about this, and they said that they have customers
running on the i486 w/o problems, but that it hasn't been "certified
in-house", meaning they haven't gotten around to testing it, yet.

I suggested to them that they might want to do that sometime soon.  :-|

On the subject of Lotus for System V, anyone heard whether they plan
to offer an X version, or support for Tektronix output, so that people
not on the console can preview their graphs?

-=gordon=-
--
Gordon A. Runkle,  Runkle Research
UUCP: uunet!cmi486!spiff!gar   INTERNET: gar@spiff.cminc.com

The difference between 'theory' and 'practice' in theory
is less than the difference between 'theory' and 'practice' in practice.
       --Unknown sage