[comp.unix.sysv386] Long File Names in sys V.4

grant@gouche.UUCP (Grant Munsey) (04/27/91)

Does sysV.4 support long (>14 char) file names and symbolic links?
Does anybody have experience with one of the sysV.4 ports on the
386 using NFS. I am also wondering who is really shipping V.4 and
what each costs. Thanks,

--
Grant Munsey, Mainticore, Inc. (408) 733-3838
grant@gouche.portal.com  or  {uunet!opusys,decwrl!apple!portal}!gouche!grant

tony@mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) (04/28/91)

From article <218@gouche.UUCP>, by grant@gouche.UUCP (Grant Munsey):
> Does sysV.4 support long (>14 char) file names and symbolic links?
> Does anybody have experience with one of the sysV.4 ports on the
> 386 using NFS. I am also wondering who is really shipping V.4 and
> what each costs. Thanks,

(is this in FAQ?)
SVR4 supports long file names on the UFS file system. It supports
symbolic (slime-bolic) links on all file systems. I have NFS installed,
but no local network to try it. I am running UHC's SYSV R4 for X11
developement.

Tony.
--
tony ,....

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.142654.7727@mcrsys.UUCP> tony@mcrsys.UUCP (Tony Becker) writes:
>From article <218@gouche.UUCP>, by grant@gouche.UUCP (Grant Munsey):
>SVR4 supports long file names on the UFS file system. It supports
>symbolic (slime-bolic) links on all file systems. I have NFS installed,
>but no local network to try it. I am running UHC's SYSV R4 for X11
>developement.

Can't you do a "local" mount to try it out?  i.e.
mount /usr/local /local

... or does NFS require networking to work at all?

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

wes@harem.clydeunix.com (Wes Peters) (05/06/91)

In article <1991Apr29.213820.17750@unixland.uucp>, bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
> Can't you do a "local" mount to try it out?  i.e.
> mount /usr/local /local

You have to have TCP/IP running (i.e. inetd, etc.) for NFS to run.  You
should be able to test it without an actual LAN, however.  Try something
like 'mount localhost:/usr/local /local' and then use nfsstat to look at how
things are running.  Anytime you have the internet deamon running, localhost
can be used to test things without a true network.

	Wes Peters
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>                               The worst day sailing
My opinions, your screen.                                   is much better than