[comp.unix.sysv386] Unix leader

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May05.132304.16995@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

(stuff deleted)
>the sco sales rep calls me on a regular basis checking up on "what
>unix have we decided to OEM" and telling me over and over that SCO is the
>industry leader.  I asked her if she was including Xenix licenses
>in her "We have more UNIX licenses out there than all the other
>vendors combined" line - and she said she didn't know (at least
>she was honest) --

In the battle of the numbers, I quote from the SCO brosure labeled
"SCO: The Worldwide Leader in Open Systems Software Solutions"
(last page) says "In 1987, SCO shipped the first UNIX System for
80386(tm) - based microcomputers - SCO XENIX 386".  So I conclude
that SCO does NOT differentiate between Xenix 386 and Unix in
its numbers.  As secondary proof, the chart on the previous
pages show "SCO System V Unit Shipments Worldwide"
	1986	15,000
	1987	40,000
	1988	91,000
	1989	120,000
	1990	150,000
From these numbers, and since they start before Xenix 386 shipped,
I would conclude that ANY runtime SCO ships must be included.
Even if a large percentage of these were Xenix runtimes, the
numbers are still quite impressive.  Anyone have ISC numbers?

(Not associated with SCO exept as a customer).
--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave     Ben Lomond    CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager  wb6ssy  CIS:73557,2074