[comp.unix.sysv386] ESIX 4.0

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (03/28/91)

I would like to give the world the compleate information about Esix 4.0,
but (I can see you saw this coming :-) I am restricted from doing so by
my bosses. What I can tell you is this (unoffically!) it will be put into
production sometime in april (most likley the end of april), It is full
SYSV R4 from the latest AT&T sources. Our beta testers have been happy
with the product. We will have X11R4, Motif and Open look will be options,
On-line manpages will be included, you can get it with or with our paper
docs, it will include nsf, SLIP, support for the ventrex TIGA card.
What else can I say? Dealers should be getting prices the first week in
april....

From my using R4 om my desk, I have had almost no problems porting the
public domain software I use here. I have ported the following programs
to R4, C-News, ELM, Perl, BSD fortune, rn, trn, Tinymud, lpmudm, fm,
ispell, and working on others. For most of these programs all I had to do
is set CC=/usr/ucb/cc to "make" them. Some of the above programs are
use BSD Sockets (i.e. the MUD's). After using R4 I do not wish to go back
to 3.2. If only my home computer had more drive space! You will need at
least a 120 meg drive to use most of R4. The following packages will fill
a 80 meg drive: Base, Sysadm, C, Man Pages, BSD compat, inet, Nsu, Editing
and a ethernet driver. This is a problem with all versions of R4. It can
run on a 4 meg of ram but you are better with 8.

I hope this helps! I will post Pricing when I can, but don't listen to
any until then. I will post offical info when I can if you readers on
the net think it is worth the bandwith in this group.

DISCLAMER: This is all un-offical! This was posted to help 386 unix users
who have asked the questions. This posting is my opion of a helpfull
user in the "know" not as a Esix employee! Thanks!
--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr15.231949.4760@Topsail.ORG> cmurcko@Topsail.ORG (Chuck Murcko) writes:
>Many or most of us who have ordered it are still waiting. ESIX hasn't
>shipped yet. The last date they told my dealer was 3rd week April. He & I
>both agreed that meant mid-May. Apparently, ESIX ships new products all
>at once instead of trickling them out. Maybe there's a beta tester out
>there who could shed some light on this?

There has been, in this group, an abundance of speculation about the
pricing, features, and upgrade pricing regarding the System V Release 4
version of ESIX.

As a prime ESIX dealer in Canada, we received a lengthy fax recently
which describes the ESIX 4.0 product.

I will try to keep this as informative, accurate and hype-free as
possible.  However, if you are offended by even mildly commercial
postings, please press 'n' now.

AVAILABILITY:

Everex's Canadian office says they'll be shipping me my first copies of
ESIX 4.0 the first week of May, well in time for us to debut it at the
Canadian UNIX show in mid-month. They won't commit to that ship date in
writing :-), but say the R&D folk in Santa Ana are ready for that deadline.
The Beta tests are apparently over.

PRICING: (U.S. list - Canadian pricing coming soon)

                      With printed    No printed
                      documentation   documentation

2 user runtime            765             600
2 user w/development     1205            1040
unlimited runtime        1425            1095
unlimited w/development  1865            1595

A few noteworthy points:

1) Many vendors, including us, sell ESIX below list price;

2) Though the increase appears steep, note that this price now
   includes the Motif GUI and NFS, which were both extra cost options
   with ESIX r3.2.

3) On-line documentation will be supplied with all the above variants.
   The printed documentation will be similar to the UNIX Press (Prentice
   Hall) SysVr4 set.

UPGRADES:

My information here is a little sketchier, but there is definitely an
upgrade path for current owners of ESIX 3.2. I believe the upgrade
pricing is being set in such a way that the cost of 3.2 PLUS the cost of
the upgrade is just slightly less than the cost of buying 4.0 new.

The ballpark on the upgrade from 3.2 unlimited development to 4.0 is
about $650. Check with the dealer who sold you 3.2.

FEATURES:

(Note: ESIX 4.0 carries over all the features of generic UNIX Release 4, as
well as ESIX release 3.2. This is a minimal list, and may include features
which are available in releases of V4 from other vendors):

X Windows Version 11.4, with support for both Open Look and Motif 1.1.
Graphics adaptors supported by ESIX 3.2 are supported in 4.0, as well as
monochrome Hercules adapters and graphics cards based on the TI 34010.
X11/NeWS is also included;

SLIP support is provided over COM1: and COM2:;

Full BSD socket (as well as System V TLI) libraries;

As mentioned, on-line man pages (*not* in troff source form);

TCP/IP, RFS, and NFS;

OA&M system administration software;

Support for SCSI, ESDI, IDE, RLL and MFM drives;

The ANSI C compiler generates either COFF or ELF binary formats;

MINIMUM INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS:

80386sx, 30386 or 80486 system
4 Meg RAM                      (8 if using X Windows)
>60 Meg Hard Disk              (>100 Meg if using X Windows)

The floppy distribution, I'm told, comes on more than 100 diskettes.
ESIX is moving towards using QIC-60 cartridges whenever possible.

That's it for now. If you want any more, send mail.

--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
         evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (04/20/91)

In article <280E7DFC.19B8@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>2) Though the increase appears steep, note that this price now
>   includes the Motif GUI and NFS, which were both extra cost options
>   with ESIX r3.2.

Another ESIX dealer posted here that Motif is *not* included in SVR4,
and that it is a $325 option.  Has this changed?
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) (04/20/91)

In article <280E7DFC.19B8@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>In article <1991Apr15.231949.4760@Topsail.ORG> cmurcko@Topsail.ORG (Chuck Murcko) writes:

 [ content deleted ]

>As a prime ESIX dealer in Canada, we received a lengthy fax recently
>which describes the ESIX 4.0 product.

 [ ... ]

>The floppy distribution, I'm told, comes on more than 100 diskettes.
>ESIX is moving towards using QIC-60 cartridges whenever possible.

Over 100 diskettes?  Why is SVR4 so much larger then SvR3.2?  (about 4 times)
Can we assume then the contents aren't compressed?

Are the other SVR4 distributions as large, (DELL, UHC etc,) and does they
include all of the same features ie

>(Note: ESIX 4.0 carries over all the features of generic UNIX Release 4, as
>well as ESIX release 3.2. This is a minimal list, and may include features
>which are available in releases of V4 from other vendors):
>
>X Windows Version 11.4, with support for both Open Look and Motif 1.1.
>Graphics adaptors supported by ESIX 3.2 are supported in 4.0, as well as
>monochrome Hercules adapters and graphics cards based on the TI 34010.
>X11/NeWS is also included;
>
>SLIP support is provided over COM1: and COM2:;
>
>Full BSD socket (as well as System V TLI) libraries;
>
>As mentioned, on-line man pages (*not* in troff source form);
>
>TCP/IP, RFS, and NFS;
>
>OA&M system administration software;
>
>Support for SCSI, ESDI, IDE, RLL and MFM drives;
>
>The ANSI C compiler generates either COFF or ELF binary formats;

I have heard that the SVR4 kernal is eccesively large, (and some people are
complaining about minor kernal bloat from Nortons and such like, but thats
another thread.)  How much larger is the SVR4 kernal?  And, _if it is a *lot*
fatter, why?_

Of the distribution set, how large (approx), are the packages, ie base system,
dev system, X11 etc?  (In floppies/megabytes)  Is the boot floppy now two, like
SCO Unix?

NFS is a fairly costly item, and isn't in my required list, why is it bundled
in?  (I bet there are other people who don't need it either.  This would also
be true for the dev sys.)

Finally (for now) is the text processing package included or available?  (Ok,
I know some people will say use TeX for nothing, blah blah, to you people, why
does so much of the free software on the net still come with *roff format docs)
--
Why do we have alarm clocks?  Surely God meant for us to sleep longer.

Hey, have a nice one.   Robert den Hartog. {rden|robert}@{rden|mercury}.gen.nz
	 ...If it don't work, yell it, I like bang paths, they work.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/21/91)

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>Another ESIX dealer posted here that Motif is *not* included in SVR4,
>and that it is a $325 option.  Has this changed?

Not in the OEM/Distributor information that we
received from ESIX this week -

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

In article <1991Apr20.020616.25392@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
> Another ESIX dealer posted here that Motif is *not* included in SVR4,
> and that it is a $325 option.  Has this changed?

Who cares? Motif and Open Look both are just marketing gimmicks.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (04/25/91)

In article <R-YARL7@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1991Apr20.020616.25392@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>> Another ESIX dealer posted here that Motif is *not* included in SVR4,
>> and that it is a $325 option.  Has this changed?
>
>Who cares? Motif and Open Look both are just marketing gimmicks.

I happen work on setting up OpenWindow(R) for our SPARC stations lately.
Honestly, if you are "speed craving" then I would guess you will "hate"
Open Look even more.  Man, this thing is slow loading and so Mac-looking
I was shocked!  Even a SPARC 2 can't help much and we are talking about
serious MIPS available already!

A plain X + twm is fine enough to me.  Lean and mean <- key!

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (04/26/91)

In article <280E7DFC.19B8@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes
>PRICING: (U.S. list - Canadian pricing coming soon)
>
>                      With printed    No printed
>                      documentation   documentation
>
>2 user runtime            765             600
>2 user w/development     1425            1095
>unlimited runtime        1205            1040
>unlimited w/development  1865            1595

I am sorry this is wrong info! These are the International Prices that Evan
posted! The US Price are:

2 user runtime            695             545
2 user w/development     1295             995
unlimited runtime        1095             945
unlimited w/development  1695            1395

>A few noteworthy points:
>
>2) Though the increase appears steep, note that this price now
>   includes the Motif GUI and NFS, which were both extra cost options
>   with ESIX r3.2.

Wrong.... NFS is INCLUDED but Motif or Open Look is $325.

>UPGRADES:
>
>The ballpark on the upgrade from 3.2 unlimited development to 4.0 is
>about $650. Check with the dealer who sold you 3.2.

As above for full upgrade info call your Esix dealer, Esix is also
putting into effect a new upgrade plan. We will up grade ANY current
Unix System V Release 3.2 customer from any vender (i.e. ISC, Intel, SCO)
to Esix 4.0.
Sample upgrade prices.....
2 user Dev. w/out docs $395 (US price)
Unlmtd user Dev w/out docs $595 (US price)
Upgrade ESIX 3.2 Motif to Esix Graphics II (motif 1.1) $199 (US prices)

Please call your Esix dealer for more info.
If you do not have a local dealer call Esix Sales for info.
Western Region: (714) 259-3020
Eastern Region: (415) 683-2068

>FEATURES:
>SLIP support is provided over COM1: and COM2:;
Slip is supported over any stream based asy port and it shares the port.

>The ANSI C compiler generates either COFF or ELF binary formats;
Generates only ELF....

Esix 4.0 is a full version of AT&T 4.0 rel 3
--

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.155142.16207@everex.uucp> jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) writes:
                        With printed    No printed
                        documentation   documentation

>2 user runtime            695             545
>2 user w/development     1295             995
>unlimited runtime        1095             945
>unlimited w/development  1695            1395
>
> .... NFS is INCLUDED but Motif or Open Look is $325.

If this is true, then the ESIX prices are not particularly attractive
(to me anyway).

Doesn't DELL supply both GUIs for no extra cost?

-scott

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (05/07/91)

In article <1991Apr25.040749.19592@leland.Stanford.EDU>, fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:

|> >Who cares? Motif and Open Look both are just marketing gimmicks.
|>
|> I happen work on setting up OpenWindow(R) for our SPARC stations lately.
|> Honestly, if you are "speed craving" then I would guess you will "hate"
|> Open Look even more.  Man, this thing is slow loading and so Mac-looking
|> I was shocked!  Even a SPARC 2 can't help much and we are talking about
|> serious MIPS available already!
|>
|> A plain X + twm is fine enough to me.  Lean and mean <- key!

Well, I tend to favor OpenLook rather than plain X on my Sparcstation 2. Sure it
takes 32MB of main memory to run without too much paging, but it's actually
faster than plain X on many operations, because it supports the GX on my
workstation which X ignores (are there GX patches?).
I switched from tvtwm to olwm Sure it's a matter of taste and personal preference,
but I found it far more intuitive to use than [tv]twm. Sure it lacks programma-
bility but if I were ever to miss that, I'd probably start using gwm. So far I
earn my money writing programs not by writing window manager scripts. Being able
to run Framemaker(Suntools), to edit via Epoch(X), and to read News via xrn(X) all
at the same time isn't bad, either.

|> Chin Fang
|> Mechanical Engineering Department
|> Stanford University
|> fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

-- tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET