[comp.unix.sysv386] re-branding files in SCO

john@gecko.pac.sc.ti.com (John Maline) (05/01/91)

In article <91V712w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
   ralfi@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) writes:
   > You could do so with SCO, and then usr /etc/brand for the system speci-
   > fic files to 'brand' the new system to the new serial numbers.
   No, you can't.  "brand" does just what its name implies -- it brands
   the file permanently with a serial number.  It's impossible to
   re-brand a file.
When I asked SCO about re-branding a system, that was their story,
that you need to pull unbranded copies off the distribution disks.  My
question was regarding re-branding an Open Desktop system (we'll be
building a number of identical systems and wanted to simplify
installation).

I looked at the install scripts for the "server upgrade" (aka:
multi-user license).  It rebrands files with the new (multi-user)
serial number.  Appears to work...

   > On the other side: they obviously paid more attention to security
   > than ISC.
   No, they didn't.  They paid more attention to making sure that you
   can't illegally copy their software, when they should have been paying
   attention to things like X11R4, Motif 1.1 ...
Last I heard from SCO, they should have a X11R4-based product out in
3q91, although my source said that was a "pretty aggressive" schedule.
How old will X11R5 be by then?

These are (of course) my opinions only, not TI official policy.
--
John Maline                    domain:  john@ticipa.csc.ti.com
Texas Instruments              TI MSG:  JWMX

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/08/91)

john@gecko.pac.sc.ti.com (John Maline) writes:

>Last I heard from SCO, they should have a X11R4-based product out in
>3q91, although my source said that was a "pretty aggressive" schedule.

but isn't that what you would expect from SCO?

after all, they need to add their enhancements and such -

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis