[comp.unix.sysv386] Invalid fs type <NFS>

ellis@epca.UUCP (Ellis Carter) (05/05/91)

I am having a problem installing NFS on ISC 2.21.  TCP is working fine and I
want to mount a file system from another box running ISC 2.0.2.   I should say
that NFS installed ok, and initialized ok.  I got all the correct responses that
the manual says that I should have.  This only happens when I try to mount a
remote file system.  Other clients can access these file systems, but they are
currently running under 2.0.2.  I have in my fstab file the following command:

epca:/u /epca/u NFS,soft,rsize=4096,wsize=4096

I need the rsize & wsize (4096) entries because I have a 3COM card and the
release notes say that I cannot use 8k buffers with this card.
When this filesystem is mounted, I get the errormessage "Invalid fs type <NFS>".
I have tried to mount it manually and I cannot get past this error.
The /etc/exports file on the host has this machine listed for exporting.  I am
trying to move from 2.0.2 to 2.2 and am not having much success.  Any help or
direction can be directed to ellis@epca.wpg.com.  All help/direction is
appreciated.

Ellis Carter

ellis@epca.UUCP (Ellis Carter) writes:
>epca:/u /epca/u NFS,soft,rsize=4096,wsize=4096
>
>I need the rsize & wsize (4096) entries because I have a 3COM card and the
>release notes say that I cannot use 8k buffers with this card.
>When this filesystem is mounted, I get the errormessage "Invalid fs type <NFS>".

It sounds like you don't have NFS installed properly on the 2.2.1 box.  (we
have NFS working fine between 2.0.2 and 2.2, so I don't think that is the
problem).  I would try re-installing NFS to see if it clears the problem.

One thing to check would be to run "strings /etc/mount | grep NFS"  if you
don't see several lines of output including an SCCSID for Lachman, at least
this way you will know you have the correct mount command.

>I have tried to mount it manually and I cannot get past this error.

The other things you can try are:

	manually mount a local file system onto your own machine
	manually mount with just the NFS,soft type (yes that will be
		a problem if you ran the system that way, but at least you can
		see if you get past the mount)

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

ellis@epca.UUCP (Ellis Carter) (05/09/91)

[...]

ellis@epca.wpg.com
(504) 456-2245