[comp.unix.sysv386] getty/uugetty -- what is the difference, really?

kentkar@shambala.uucp (Kent Karrer) (04/16/91)

Recently, I have seen an increase of discussion concerning getty and uugetty.
I have used both on different kinds of unices. But, being what I consider a
unix novice, I have yet to figure out the differences between these two
programs.

Will someone please enlighten me?

--
[~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]
[ A GREAT DEAL OF CHAOS IN THE WORLD occurs because people don't appreciate ]

kentkar@shambala.uucp (Kent Karrer) writes:

>Recently, I have seen an increase of discussion concerning getty and uugetty.
>I have used both on different kinds of unices. But, being what I consider a
>unix novice, I have yet to figure out the differences between these two
>programs.

uugetty is getty with 1 enhancement:

	1. it locks (using uucp/cu style locks) the port when someone attemps
	   to log in so that only one of the three can use the line at the
	   same time.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr17.130247.13241@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

> uugetty is getty with 1 enhancement:
> 	1. it locks (using uucp/cu style locks) the port when someone attemps
> 	   to log in so that only one of the three can use the line at the
> 	   same time.

Under SCO Unix, I have also found it useful to do a binary patch on
uugetty so that it uses "/etc/issuu" as its banner file, instead of
"/etc/issue" like getty does.  Thus, local users and dial-up users get
different messages before the login prompt.

-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) (05/03/91)

In article <831@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) writes:
>In article <1991Apr17.130247.13241@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>
>> uugetty is getty with 1 enhancement:
>> 	1. it locks (using uucp/cu style locks) the port when someone attemps
>> 	   to log in so that only one of the three can use the line at the
>> 	   same time.

Another difference is that getty displays the Login prompt immediately where
as uugetty waits for some kind of input (carriage return or similar) before
displaying the the Login prompt.

This keeps two computers connected directly from spitting Login: Password:
back and fourth all day.

In /etc/inittab, you can almost always place uugetty instead of getty on every
line.  NOTE: Just tell uses to press return on thier keyboard to get the
Login prompt.

Sincerely,

John Urban
att!attunix!jbu

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.131122.29675@cbnewsl.att.com> urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:

>In /etc/inittab, you can almost always place uugetty instead of getty on every
>line.  NOTE: Just tell uses to press return on thier keyboard to get the
>Login prompt.

I've been using 'getty' rather than 'uugetty' on ESIX Rev D.  This is
because someone told me (before I did my install) that uugetty was
either buggy, problematic, or a security hole, I forget which.  Is
this Esix-specific, or SYSVR3 specific?

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/04/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I've been using 'getty' rather than 'uugetty' on ESIX Rev D.  This is
>because someone told me (before I did my install) that uugetty was
>either buggy, problematic, or a security hole, I forget which.  Is
>this Esix-specific, or SYSVR3 specific?

we've always used getty for bidirectional communications (always
meens since ISC 2.02) without problems --

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (05/08/91)

>Another difference is that getty displays the Login prompt immediately where
>as uugetty waits for some kind of input (carriage return or similar) before
>displaying the the Login prompt.
>
>This keeps two computers connected directly from spitting Login: Password:
>back and fourth all day.

That is an option of uugetty.  The default is to act just like getty.  To
get it to pause for a character before proceeding you need to invoke it
with the -r flag.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

bill@twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (05/09/91)

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:

: Another difference is that getty displays the Login prompt immediately where
: as uugetty waits for some kind of input (carriage return or similar) before
: displaying the the Login prompt.

: This keeps two computers connected directly from spitting Login: Password:
: back and fourth all day.

From what I have read, putting the flag "-r" at the end of the
inittab line is what tells uugetty to wait for <CR> before
displaying the Login:  prompt.  Leaving this flag off while make
uugetty display the prompt immediately.

Uugetty waits for carrier detect (CD) to go positive on the port,
indicating that the modem just answered an incoming call.  Until
then, the "real" part of getty (the part that displays the Login:
prompt) isn't even running on that port.  Do a "ps -ft ttyxx" and
watch no getty process appear, as they do with normal ports using
getty.

When uugetty sees CD, it then spawns the process that displays
the Login:, which is why it appears automatically just after your
modems connect, unless you have set the "-r" flag in which case
it waits for <CR>.

It may be DSR that uugetty looks for, I'm not positive.  But I do
know that the signal is not positive until the modem connects
with another modem.  You can screw this up by configuring your
modem to force CD/DSR on all the time, such that uugetty keeps
the port open and UUCP locked and UUCP will not be able to dial
out because it thinks there is a login on the port.

: John Urban
: att!attunix!jbu
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     Your Computer