[comp.unix.sysv386] Scheme & 386 Unix

pbrown@vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Patrick R. Brown) (04/25/91)

I am looking for a version of the Scheme programming language which
has been ported to 386 Unix (I have ESIX 5.3.2D, but that's probably
not that important).  Two of the better-known versions, MIT Scheme and
Yale's T don't seem to support the 386.  I have gotten a smaller
interpreter called "scm," but I'm afraid it's a little _too_ small.
Any information would be appreciated.

Pat
Patrick R. Brown                 __    _________
email: pbrown@csgrad.cs.vt.edu   \ \  / ___  __/  Virginia Tech:
smail: 375 New Kent Rd.           \ \/ /  / /     "Po but Proud"
       Blacksburg, VA  24060       \__/  /_/      (703) 552-4016

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (05/07/91)

In article <PBROWN.91Apr25153256@vtopus.cs.vt.edu>, pbrown@vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Patrick R. Brown) writes:
|> I am looking for a version of the Scheme programming language which
|> has been ported to 386 Unix (I have ESIX 5.3.2D, but that's probably
|> not that important).  Two of the better-known versions, MIT Scheme and
|> Yale's T don't seem to support the 386.  I have gotten a smaller
|> interpreter called "scm," but I'm afraid it's a little _too_ small.
|> Any information would be appreciated.

Oliver Laumann of the Berlin Technical University has written a Scheme
interpreter called ELK. It's public domain, it's been posted, it's small and
extendable--and it runs on a 386. It contains bindings for X, Xt and Motif and
on OSs, that support dynamic linking, it will allow extensions to be loaded at
run time. The interpreter can be dumped and restarted from disk any time.
The Berlin Technical University does not maintain an FTP archive, but I just
checked with uunet and its available there at version 1.2. Version 1.3 isn't
released yet. I think it's a darn good hack.
|> Pat
|> --
|> --
|> Patrick R. Brown                 __    _________
|> email: pbrown@csgrad.cs.vt.edu   \ \  / ___  __/  Virginia Tech:
|> smail: 375 New Kent Rd.           \ \/ /  / /     "Po but Proud"
|>        Blacksburg, VA  24060       \__/  /_/      (703) 552-4016

-- tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (05/09/91)

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:

>In article <PBROWN.91Apr25153256@vtopus.cs.vt.edu>, pbrown@vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Patrick R. Brown) writes:
>|> I am looking for a version of the Scheme programming language which
>|> has been ported to 386 Unix (I have ESIX 5.3.2D, but that's probably
>|> not that important).  Two of the better-known versions, MIT Scheme and
>|> Yale's T don't seem to support the 386.  I have gotten a smaller
>|> interpreter called "scm," but I'm afraid it's a little _too_ small.
>|> Any information would be appreciated.
>|>
>Oliver Laumann of the Berlin Technical University has written a Scheme
>interpreter called ELK.

but also oliver was astonished that you can make MIT C Scheme run
on interactive unix (and other sys v's perhaps). i succeeded doing
this with version 6.1.2, i didn't try 7.0, however. since i'm
not a scheme hacker, i can't tell whether elk is 'better' in the
language part, but i think it's cheaper regarding memory usage.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]: