[comp.unix.sysv386] Somebody . . . _Please_ help me w/ SCO XENIX 2.3.2

crawford@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Brian Crawford) (05/08/91)

After searching through the FAQ list, and what back postings I could find here,
the answer to the following querstion cannot be found and it is hoped it will
be somewhat tolerable here (and answered, too :):

1)  Are there any characeristics which can be modified in the login?  Here,
    after one failed login attempt, there is a pause of up to two minutes
    before the user is prompted again for a login name.

    There is, however, a 'login' prompt which  appears on the screen but
    doesn't seem to accept any input, and a 5 sec or so delay before another
    login prompt.  After two or three minutes, the login routine seems to
    reset itself and the login seems to work fine.

What I suspect is happening is that the OS is going to different port
settings/characteristics from gettydef after the failed login attempt perhaps?

Comments appreciated.
Brian Crawford               INTERNET (current):   crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu
PO Box 804                            (permanent): crawford@stjhmc.fidonet.org
Tempe, Arizona  85280        FidoNet:              1:114/15.12
USA                          Amateur:              KL7JDQ

crawford@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Brian Crawford) writes:

>What I suspect is happening is that the OS is going to different port
>settings/characteristics from gettydef after the failed login attempt perhaps?

BINGO.  If you look in the /etc/gettydef file you will find that it is
broken up into 5 fields separated by pound signs.

id # getty_tty_settings # after_getty_settings # getty_prompt # next_id

id - the name of the gettydef entry.  Specified on the getty line within
     the /etc/init file

getty_tty_settings - initial settings used by getty once the port is opened.

after_getty_settings - settings set by getty after reading the initial
		 	response from the user

getty_prompt - what is displayed to the user once getty has started up

next_id - the gettydef id that getty should use if it recieves a break.

I would suspect your problem is in the after_getty_settings.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170