[comp.unix.sysv386] Why not use Unix Word Perfect and forget about Vpix?

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (05/08/91)

->> Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems
->>no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
->>to have several people legally using it at once. It is also less strain
->>on system resources since there isn't the VP/ix overhead to deal with. I,

Well, the killer reason for us is that Unix runs WP 5.0.  5.1 has a few
absolutely required options for us, such as:
	- graphic files in a separate disk file, which means you can have..
	- graphic boxes in style sheets, which means you can have...
	- The company letterhead with logo in a style sheet, which means...
	- A huge reduction in the disk space files take up.
I understand that 5.1 is not slated under '92.

And I agree that using Vp/ix is the pits.  We gave up long ago and started
using our laptop for Desktop Publishing (or i guess that's laptop publishing)
BUT we would like to have a backup for when one of us takes it on the road.

->I agree :)  I actually made it through this last semester using WP 5.0
->for UNIX on this machine
->
->>don't get why so many people are anxious to slam WP, the company provides
->>good support free of charge (at least the UNIX division) and a product

If you don't mind spending endless hours on hold on the phone at YOUR cost...
Or do they now have a toll-free number for unix?

->>that does what it is supposed to do and does it well. I won't even go
->>into the fact that the folks complaining probably bought one DOS license
->>and are complaining about it not supporting 10 users at once over a
->>network...
->
->Single user WP for UNIX is the same price as single user WP DOS.  Support,

Say what? $1000 = $250?  I am missing something?

->as you mentioned is free.  I called about the "viewing printed pages
->under the print menu" not working, and I had a replacement copy of WP in
->my hands 4 days later.  I'm quite pleased with the Unix release of Word
->Perfect.

I also agree that WP for unix ain't an awful product, although it is their
bastard child at present.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/09/91)

neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:

>If you don't mind spending endless hours on hold on the phone at YOUR cost...
>Or do they now have a toll-free number for unix?

nope - the call is still own your dime

>->Single user WP for UNIX is the same price as single user WP DOS.  Support,

>Say what? $1000 = $250?  I am missing something?

Merisel shows WP 5.1 for dos as $250, and WP 5.0 for Interactive
Unix for $231 (these are dealer prices - single user releases)

>I also agree that WP for unix ain't an awful product, although it is their
>bastard child at present.

if you want something bastardized - look at stuff for an operating
system called QNX!

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (05/10/91)

neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:

>->Single user WP for UNIX is the same price as single user WP DOS.  Support,

>Say what? $1000 = $250?  I am missing something?

 The list price of the 5 user version of WP is almost $1000, the single
user DOS version is $250. The single user UNIX version is the same price
as the single user DOS version.

--
\  Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant  /
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation