[comp.unix.sysv386] Using MS-DOS with the UNIX* system ?

wuu@cbnewsj.att.com (john.t.wuu) (04/09/91)

Netlanders

	Is there a sysv/386 can do "dos-under-unix"(Simul-task) ?
	Thank you for your input !

			John Wuu

P.S. Apologies if the question has been asked before.
--

John T. Wuu	wuu@mink.att.com

******** Standard Disclaimer :-) ***********

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr11.152848.2637@drolet.CAM.ORG> drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) writes:
>In <1991Apr8.205831.29459@cbnewsj.att.com> wuu@cbnewsj.att.com (john.t.wuu) writes:
>

>>Netlanders
>
>>	Is there a sysv/386 can do "dos-under-unix"(Simul-task) ?
>>	Thank you for your input !
>

>>			John Wuu
>
>>P.S. Apologies if the question has been asked before.
>>--
>
>>John T. Wuu	wuu@mink.att.com
>
>>******** Standard Disclaimer :-) ***********
>
>Yes, SCO Unix, SCO Xenix, ESIX and ISC Unix can all run multiple concurrent
>DOS sessions under Unix with optional software packages such as VP/ix and
>DOS Merge.
>--
>Jean-Jacques P. Drolet         |    Snail: 2631 boul. Liegeois, Sainte-Foy
>National Optics Institute      |           Quebec, Canada, G1W 1Z5
>Phone:         +1 418 657 7006 | Internet: drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG
>Home phone:    +1 418 651 3796 |     UUCP: uunet!drolet!drolet

Besides SCO, ESIX and ISC, AT&T also sees UNIX System V/386 that works
with Simul-Task 386.  Simul-Task is AT&T's value added (and less buggy)
version of VP/ix.

Sincerely,

John Urban

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/26/91)

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:

>Besides SCO, ESIX and ISC, AT&T also sees UNIX System V/386 that works
>with Simul-Task 386.  Simul-Task is AT&T's value added (and less buggy)
>version of VP/ix.

what is buggy about VP/ix?  We have the latest release here, and to
date everything we have tried with it worked just fine.
--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.173734.16964@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>what is buggy about VP/ix?  We have the latest release here, and to
>date everything we have tried with it worked just fine.

By the "latest release" do you mean v1.2?

The "bugs" reported by so many of us may be due to the fact that many of
us are running VP/ix on NON-ISC OS's.  ISC undoubtedly uses only ISC unix
to test the VP/ix product.

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

In article <1991Apr25.173734.16964@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>what is buggy about VP/ix?  We have the latest release here, and to
>date everything we have tried with it worked just fine.

Can you finally run Wordperfect 5.0/5.1 with all the files on the
unix file system?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr11.152848.2637@drolet.CAM.ORG> drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) writes:
=Yes, SCO Unix, SCO Xenix, ESIX and ISC Unix can all run multiple concurrent
=DOS sessions under Unix with optional software packages such as VP/ix and
=DOS Merge.

Don't forget AT&T and Microport!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (04/28/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>By the "latest release" do you mean v1.2?

>The "bugs" reported by so many of us may be due to the fact that many of
>us are running VP/ix on NON-ISC OS's.  ISC undoubtedly uses only ISC unix
>to test the VP/ix product.

well, I would do the same thing - they want to sell packages - not
add-on products -

when we looked at operating systems, we look at the whole ball of wax

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>Can you finally run Wordperfect 5.0/5.1 with all the files on the
>unix file system?

I don't know - we run Wordperfect 5.0 (the latest release) under
UNIX without ANY problems at all..

--

rcbarn@rw6.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) (04/29/91)

les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.173734.16964@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>what is buggy about VP/ix?  We have the latest release here, and to
>>date everything we have tried with it worked just fine.
>
>Can you finally run Wordperfect 5.0/5.1 with all the files on the
>unix file system?

I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter,
presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
expensive, but actually the same) product.

--
| Raymond X.T. Nijssen  | Eindhoven Univ. of Technology                       |
| raymond@es.ele.tue.nl | EH 7.13, PO 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands |

jad@nyama.UUCP (04/30/91)

In <1991Apr26.042805.26981@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.173734.16964@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>>what is buggy about VP/ix?  We have the latest release here, and to
>>date everything we have tried with it worked just fine.
>
>Can you finally run Wordperfect 5.0/5.1 with all the files on the
>unix file system?

As far as I understand this is not a bug, it's a feature of Wordperfect.
If you run the network version of Wordperfect, and you install it as a
network, then it will work.  Wordperfect tries to be very smart and if
it sees a non-local dos drive (ie. unix fs) it just dumps on you...

--
Jose Dias		jad@nyama.UUCP		 Who me? I didn't say anything!
--

rwhite@nusdecs.uucp (Robert White) (05/01/91)

In article <rcbarn.672944319@rw6.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn@urc.tue.nl writes:
>I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
>'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter,
>presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
>politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
>a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
>expensive, but actually the same) product.

Actually there is no separate and more expensive WP for use in a network
environment.  The same package is used but the netsetup program is then
run after a normal installation.  The wordperfect problem under VP/ix
seems to stem from the tendency of WP to do marginally illegal things
to it's own files.

To demonstrate the activity, run fastopen and then edit a few of
your least favorite files...  There wont be much left.

the problems seem to stem from going through the FAT directly, which
dosn't really work under VP/ix unless you are using a real(tm) MSDOS
partition.  (e.g. not even the single-file virtual drives.)

I don't know what network feature WP is looking for on a real(tm)
network that it dosn't find on a VP/ix "network" drive, but I
would suspect it has something to do with resource names or something.
Sympotms indicate something like that to me because of the garbage
preceeding each printed output request.  Maybe the netbios name
calls are beign used and the lack of such names is confusing the
program.  If not where do all the ^@^@^@s come from?

Rob.

In article <1991Apr26.042805.26981@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> Can you finally run Wordperfect 5.0/5.1 with all the files on the
> unix file system?

Funny. We do that on a PC clone from an rlogin on a SSII with no problem. Under
Merge/386.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

dave@pmafire.inel.gov (Dave Remien) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.171445.22045@nusdecs.uucp> rwhite@nusdecs.uucp (Robert White) writes:
>In article <rcbarn.672944319@rw6.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn@urc.tue.nl writes:
>>I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
>>'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter,
>>presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
>>politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
>>a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
>>expensive, but actually the same) product.
>
>Actually there is no separate and more expensive WP for use in a network
>environment.  The same package is used but the netsetup program is then
>run after a normal installation.  The wordperfect problem under VP/ix
>seems to stem from the tendency of WP to do marginally illegal things
>to it's own files.

WP isn't the only offender in this behavior; we've had Symantec's Q&A
mutter about being on a networked drive (under DOSMerge in the UNIX file
system) just before annihilating whatever it is that's being worked on.
Works OK on a DOS partition, also; same as WP.

DOSMerge includes a command to switch the UNIX file system from
appearing as a network drive to a local drive, but that didn't help.

--
Dave Remien +*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ WINCO Computer Engineering Group
  dave@pmafire.inel.gov or rzd@inel.gov      "Dave Barry for President"

In article <rcbarn.672944319@rw6.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn@urc.tue.nl writes:

>>Can you finally run Wordperfect 5.0/5.1 with all the files on the
>>unix file system?

>I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
>'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter,
>presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
>politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
>a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
>expensive, but actually the same) product.

No, that's not the case at all.  WP is designed to work on a network
and does it very well.  In fact, I have a 386 running unix working as
file server for dos clients using AT&T's StarGroup software and everything
works fine from a DOS client.  However, if I run DOS under VP/ix on the
same machine, same files, same copy of WP, etc., it won't work.  It
does work under VP/ix if all the files are on a real DOS partition of
the hard drive.  WP 4.2 worked normally (but who wants to run that?).

I suspect it has something to do with VP/ix not properly translating a
0-length write from dos into a request to truncate the file at the
current position.

And by the way, I don't think you would be insulting WP if you had
used their nifty table editor in 5.1 (unless you are just mad about
how much time it took to learn how to do it the old ways).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (05/01/91)

rwhite@nusdecs.uucp (Robert White) writes:

>In article <rcbarn.672944319@rw6.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn@urc.tue.nl writes:
>>I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
>>'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter,
>>presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
>>politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
>>a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
>>expensive, but actually the same) product.

>Actually there is no separate and more expensive WP for use in a network
>environment.  The same package is used but the netsetup program is then
>run after a normal installation.  The wordperfect problem under VP/ix
>seems to stem from the tendency of WP to do marginally illegal things
>to it's own files.

 Someone has to ask...

 Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems,
no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
to have several people legally using it at once. It is also less strain
on system resources since there isn't the VP/ix overhead to deal with. I
don't get why so many people are anxious to slam WP, the company provides
good support free of charge (at least the UNIX division) and a product
that does what it is supposed to do and does it well. I won't even go
into the fact that the folks complaining probably bought one DOS license
and are complaining about it not supporting 10 users at once over a
network...
--
\  Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant  /
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/04/91)

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

> Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems,
>no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
>to have several people legally using it at once. It is also less strain
>on system resources since there isn't the VP/ix overhead to deal with. I

I agree :)  I actually made it through this last semester using WP 5.0
for UNIX on this machine

>don't get why so many people are anxious to slam WP, the company provides
>good support free of charge (at least the UNIX division) and a product
>that does what it is supposed to do and does it well. I won't even go
>into the fact that the folks complaining probably bought one DOS license
>and are complaining about it not supporting 10 users at once over a
>network...

Single user WP for UNIX is the same price as single user WP DOS.  Support,
as you mentioned is free.  I called about the "viewing printed pages
under the print menu" not working, and I had a replacement copy of WP in
my hands 4 days later.  I'm quite pleased with the Unix release of Word
Perfect.

--

pss610@unhd.unh.edu (Paul S Secinaro) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May01.141751.2332@bluemoon.uucp> grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

> Someone has to ask...
>
> Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems,
>no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
>to have several people legally using it at once. It is also less strain
>on system resources since there isn't the VP/ix overhead to deal with. I
>don't get why so many people are anxious to slam WP, the company provides
>good support free of charge (at least the UNIX division) and a product
>that does what it is supposed to do and does it well. I won't even go
>into the fact that the folks complaining probably bought one DOS license
>and are complaining about it not supporting 10 users at once over a
>network...

What's the latest version of WP for UNIX?  I've seen reviews of 5.0 for UNIX at
a time when 5.1 for DOS was out for quite a while (this was a some months ago).
IMHO, 5.1 is *much* better than 5.0.  Even minimal mouse support makes a big
difference, and technical users will find the equation editor invaluable.  I
would have trouble switching back to 5.0 after using 5.1.  This might be one
reason why WP users are reluctant to switch.  If there is a newer version out,
then I'd have to agree with your message.  VP/ix is something of a CPU hog (at
least the ancient version I'm using is).  I use it only when necessary,
and if I have to do a lot of work with a DOS app, I usually just reboot from
the DOS partition (my system is single user, so I have that luxury).

--

Paul S. Secinaro
University of New Hampsire

In article <1991May01.141751.2332@bluemoon.uucp> grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:
> Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems,
>no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
>to have several people legally using it at once.

Since I brought the issue up this time around, I'll explain a bit more.
We have an AT&T starlan network with around 100 PC's connected to a
few unix machines acting as fileservers.  I use a 386 machine under unix for
development that can RFS mount the directories available in the production
servers.  If VP/ix worked correctly, I could run WP on my own machine
to test setups and help users with problems without needing a second
machine in my office to run DOS.  As it turns out, I do need the
second machine.

>It is also less strain
>on system resources since there isn't the VP/ix overhead to deal with.

Right, I wouldn't think about real production under VP/ix.  However,
the network solution is even better given the PC's on the desktops.
We run about 35 users per server - I don't think that would be
comfortable doing terminal emulation with the unix version.  And in
any case the unix version wasn't available at the time we installed
the network, and many of the users still need to run other programs
that are only available for DOS and to integrate the output of those
programs with their wordprocessor.

>I don't get why so many people are anxious to slam WP, the company provides
>good support free of charge (at least the UNIX division) and a product
>that does what it is supposed to do and does it well.

I wasn't slamming WP at all (though I have encountered some other problems
with it...).  In this case the problem is with VP/ix aka AT&T's Simultask.
The Locus DOS Merge product doesn't appear to have the same trouble.

>I won't even go
>into the fact that the folks complaining probably bought one DOS license
>and are complaining about it not supporting 10 users at once over a
>network...

And just as well you didn't because we do in fact have a DOS license for
everyone who uses it, and it does in fact support them over a network.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (05/06/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>I agree :)  I actually made it through this last semester using WP 5.0
>for UNIX on this machine

 My wife has finally figured out how to use her account just to get to it
here. :-)

--

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/06/91)

pss610@unhd.unh.edu (Paul S Secinaro) writes:

>What's the latest version of WP for UNIX?  I've seen reviews of 5.0 for UNIX at

5.0

--

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May05.210547.4613@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991May01.141751.2332@bluemoon.uucp> grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:
>> Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems,
>>no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
>>to have several people legally using it at once.
>
>Since I brought the issue up this time around, I'll explain a bit more.
>We have an AT&T starlan network with around 100 PC's connected to a
>few unix machines acting as fileservers.  I use a 386 machine under unix for
>development that can RFS mount the directories available in the production
>servers.  If VP/ix worked correctly, I could run WP on my own machine
>to test setups and help users with problems without needing a second
>machine in my office to run DOS.  As it turns out, I do need the
>second machine.

I talked(mail'ed actually) to Les and he tells me that he has:
	UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.1  and
	Simul-Task 386 Version 2.0

The current version of Smul-Task is Version 3.01.  ALOT of networking problems
have been fixed since 2.0.  Somethings that work under 3.01 that did not work
in 2.0 are:
	Simul-Task over telnet, rlogin and script

Also Simul-Task over NFS and RFS has become also more robust.

[ Deleted stuff ]

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May04.132518.15217@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:
>
>>don't get why so many people are anxious to slam WP, the company provides
>>good support free of charge (at least the UNIX division) and a product
>>that does what it is supposed to do and does it well. I won't even go
>>into the fact that the folks complaining probably bought one DOS license
>>and are complaining about it not supporting 10 users at once over a
>>network...
>
>Single user WP for UNIX is the same price as single user WP DOS.  Support,
>as you mentioned is free.  I called about the "viewing printed pages
>under the print menu" not working, and I had a replacement copy of WP in
>my hands 4 days later.  I'm quite pleased with the Unix release of Word
>Perfect.

I haven't used WP for unix as yet, but I've experienced their support on other
non-DOS platforms.  I have half a dozen Data General machines running various
versions of WP accross the country.  We have never had any problems getting
good support from WordPerfect on any type of equipment.  (The revs do drag
behind a bit though :( )  A particular revision may not be so super, but WP has
THE best support organization I've run accross.

Shawn.

--      Shawn R. Blair   ~  shawn@jpr.com                                    --
--      ...murphy!jpradley!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (hourly)                     --
--      uunet!sir-alan!admiral!rpmc!{srblair!}shawn (weekly)                 --