[comp.unix.sysv386] RAM Disk in UNIX

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) (05/03/91)

I am interested in finding out if anyone knows of RAM disk software
that will run on a '386 UNIX (ISC or AT&T R3.2) system.  Commercial is
fine.  (I don't have much real use for it myself, but a customer who is
used to DOS wants it.)  I don't recall having heard of any such product
before: please email any pointers and I can summarize later.  Thanks.

Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165
uunet!gistdev!flint or flint@gistdev.gist.com
--

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/03/91)

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) writes:

>I am interested in finding out if anyone knows of RAM disk software
>that will run on a '386 UNIX (ISC or AT&T R3.2) system.  Commercial is

what is wrong with the ram disk that one can configure in
the kernel using kconfig?

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) (05/04/91)

Summary RE: RAM disk on UNIX: (I received a lot of response: mucho
thanks to everyone who sent me information!)

Several people pointed out that ISC already has a RAM disk capability
built in.  (I don't use ISC so I wasn't aware of that.)  (Details:
Run kconfig, elect to configure the HPDD (for High Performance Disk
Drive?), and at some point it will ask if you want a RAM disk.
Say yes, it will ask how big, and then will configure it for you.
Build the new kernel, reboot, and the ramdisk will be mounted as /tmp.)

Another respondent sent a copy of a recent posting of ram disk source
that appeared in comp.unix.sysv386.
--

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/04/91)

In article <1170@gistdev.gist.com> flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) writes:

>Several people pointed out that ISC already has a RAM disk capability
>built in.  (I don't use ISC so I wasn't aware of that.)  (Details:

ESIX has some sort of RAM disk capability, too;  it's used by the
INSTALL procedure.  I've never had a chance to look into how to
use it in real life though -- I don't know if it can be used (anyone
tried it?)

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

In article <1170@gistdev.gist.com> flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) writes:

| Several people pointed out that ISC already has a RAM disk capability
| built in.

SCO has support as well, although they tell you (correctly) that in most
cases your system will run better with the memory as memory. They also
allow a device which is shared by processes and which goes away when the
last processes closes it. Handy.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

lyons@srg (Don R. Lyons x4811) (05/11/91)

In article <3871@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   allow a device which is shared by processes and which goes away when the
>   last processes closes it. Handy.

	what device would this be?
--
Don R Lyons                          Any opinions expressed are my own.
Arinc Research Inc                   uucp : uunet!srg!lyons