[comp.unix.sysv386] AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 - SCSI Complaints

gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) (05/10/91)

        This is mainly directed to people who work for AT&T or
have "AWESOME" knowledge about AT&T programmer & management types.
I have purchased AT&T System V Release 4.0 (2.1) for use with
SCSI drives.  Well guess what,, this system will only work with
AT&T SCSI controllers and AT&T hard drives.  Does anybody know
why this is??  My dealer has been spending much time on the phone
with AT&T reps.  He has received two responses from AT&T:

        1. Yep thats right, and it will only get worse.
        2. And I quote... "That's Bullshit."

Well it seems even AT&T can't decide what to do here.  Well if you
know what the future outcome of this situation might be, please
let me know.  Or, if you work for AT&T and are working on the code
what is going on here???  I know the AT&T contoller is basically a
Western Digital(which I currently have) controller with AT&T mods.
For a few specific reasons I would like to run the AT&T code, but
if they can't fix this, well, who knows then.  I realize that if
I can get my hands on some ST-506 boot disks I can rebuild the
kernel using the Columbia Data Products drivers.  This would work
but it costs more money and is a real pain in the ass.  Don't really
mean to waste bandwidth with my personal AT&T complaints, but my
dealer doesn't know what to do either.

Thanks in advance...
BTW:  I don't know for sure if I can get a set of ST-506 boot disks.
2nd BTW: Just so you don't think I'm really stupid here the AT&T manual
does not say anywhere that you need AT&T equipment.  As a metter of fact
it tells you to get a Western Digital controller..  I give up...

----

Michael L. Gantz         | gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us
213 Napoleon Rd.         | osu-cis!bgsuvax!gantz!gantzm
Bowling Green, Oh 43402  | Mellon!  I had only to speak the Elvish word for
(419) 353-5029           | friend and the doors opened.  - J.R.R. Tolkien

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) (05/10/91)

gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:

>        This is mainly directed to people who work for AT&T or
>have "AWESOME" knowledge about AT&T programmer & management types.
>I have purchased AT&T System V Release 4.0 (2.1) for use with
>SCSI drives.  Well guess what,, this system will only work with
>AT&T SCSI controllers and AT&T hard drives.  Does anybody know
>why this is??  My dealer has been spending much time on the phone
>with AT&T reps.  He has received two responses from AT&T:

Well at a site I do some consulting for, we were really pissed at this
also. It seems that AT&T looks for the SCSI ident string on the drive, and
that is how it determines whether or not it is a supported device. This also
includes all SCSI tape drives too.  As for the fix, you might as well forget
it. It was obviously hardcoded so f**king AT&T could sell more of their own
equipment.

I know, I can't believe it either. So much for "open systems".....

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/11/91)

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:

>Well at a site I do some consulting for, we were really pissed at this
>also. It seems that AT&T looks for the SCSI ident string on the drive, and
>that is how it determines whether or not it is a supported device. This also
>includes all SCSI tape drives too.  As for the fix, you might as well forget
>it. It was obviously hardcoded so f**king AT&T could sell more of their own
>equipment.

we had the same problem originally with Intel SVR4 2.0

now with Dell SVR4 we haven't had this problem --

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:

>Well at a site I do some consulting for, we were really pissed at this
>also. It seems that AT&T looks for the SCSI ident string on the drive, and
>that is how it determines whether or not it is a supported device. This also
>includes all SCSI tape drives too.  As for the fix, you might as well forget
>it. It was obviously hardcoded so f**king AT&T could sell more of their own

You can fix this several ways.

	1. use a binary editor to replace the AT&T strings on the boot
	   disketttes so that it recognizes your devices.

	2. Get the system loaded on a supported device and then change the
	   SCSI id tables in /etc/conf/pack.d/{scsi driver directories}.  There
	   are two directories (one for tapes and one for disks).

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) (05/13/91)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>
> >also. It seems that AT&T looks for the SCSI ident string on the drive, and
> >that is how it determines whether or not it is a supported device. This also
        [stuff deleted]

> You can fix this several ways.
>
> 	1. use a binary editor to replace the AT&T strings on the boot
> 	   disketttes so that it recognizes your devices.
>
> 	2. Get the system loaded on a supported device and then change the
> 	   SCSI id tables in /etc/conf/pack.d/{scsi driver directories}.  There
> 	   are two directories (one for tapes and one for disks).
>
> --
> Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.

        As the original poster of this wonderful mess, is this modification
easy?<Don't laugh too hard>  I'm a new system administrator, and sort
of know what I'm doing, enough to be dangerous I guess.

        The saga continues....
---

dcon@cbnewsc.att.com (david.r.connet) (05/14/91)

In article <767u21w164w@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us> gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:
>cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>> You can fix this several ways.
>>
>> 	1. use a binary editor to replace the AT&T strings on the boot
>> 	   disketttes so that it recognizes your devices.
>>
>> 	2. Get the system loaded on a supported device and then change the
>> 	   SCSI id tables in /etc/conf/pack.d/{scsi driver directories}.  There
>> 	   are two directories (one for tapes and one for disks).
>>
>        As the original poster of this wonderful mess, is this modification
>easy?<Don't laugh too hard>  I'm a new system administrator, and sort
>of know what I'm doing, enough to be dangerous I guess.

Quite easy.  For #2, edit /etc/conf/pack.d/scsi/space.c and then idbuild
and reboot.  Also edit /etc/scsi/tc.index (used for mkfs, and other commands).
What I do is to copy an entry for a similar device (someone tells me what
is similar).  Beware, in the tc.index file, there are trailing blanks.
These are critical.

Dave Connet
dcon@iwtng.att.com

In article <1991May13.173321.26626@cbnewsc.att.com> dcon@cbnewsc.att.com (david.r.connet) writes:
>In article <767u21w164w@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us> gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:
#>cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
#>> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
#>> You can fix this several ways.
#>>
#>> 	1. use a binary editor to replace the AT&T strings on the boot
#>> 	   disketttes so that it recognizes your devices.
#>>
#>> 	2. Get the system loaded on a supported device and then change the
#>> 	   SCSI id tables in /etc/conf/pack.d/{scsi driver directories}.  There
#>> 	   are two directories (one for tapes and one for disks).
#>>
#>        As the original poster of this wonderful mess, is this modification
#>easy?<Don't laugh too hard>  I'm a new system administrator, and sort
#>of know what I'm doing, enough to be dangerous I guess.
#
#Quite easy.  For #2, edit /etc/conf/pack.d/scsi/space.c and then idbuild
                                            ^^^^
#and reboot.  Also edit /etc/scsi/tc.index (used for mkfs, and other commands).
#What I do is to copy an entry for a similar device (someone tells me what
#is similar).  Beware, in the tc.index file, there are trailing blanks.
#These are critical.

Oops, I meant sd01.

Dave Connet
dcon@iwtng.att.com

gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:

>        As the original poster of this wonderful mess, is this modification
>easy?<Don't laugh too hard>  I'm a new system administrator, and sort
>of know what I'm doing, enough to be dangerous I guess.

Editing the disk requires a binary edit utility.  This shouldn't be too hard
if you have such a utility.  Changing the entries in the real system
is a simple change to one (or two if you are changing the tape entry also)
space.c file under /etc/conf/pack.d/????  (I don't remember the exact name
of the directory but it is something like st?? for the tape driver and
sc?? or sd?? for the disk driver).