[comp.unix.sysv386] Weird serial port problem

puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Paul Puglia) (05/15/91)

I am running UNIX HOUSE sysv5 rel 4 on one of there 486 boxes.  Yesterday,
I installed a second serial card in the machine by manually adding it to
into the system.  After struggling with the sacadm, pmadm and ttyadm I finally
got the (insert your favorite explicitive here) card to respond. However,
I seemed to have run into a small, but annoying problem.  The ttymon seems
to recognize that someone is trying to log into the system, but it responds
to the login request really slow. It seems to be printing the welcome message
one character at a time with a long pause in between characters. As a result
it seems that the whole login process times out as a result.  Does anybody
have any idea what is happening here?  It looks like I have the baud rate
set up correctly. The only thing I can think of is that I have the serial
card configured as IRQ 5 (this is because Unix House ethernet driver won't
install as anything other then IRQ3) and that is somehow causing the problem.

Thanks in advance
Paul Puglia
Dept of Civil Engineering
Columbia University

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.171546.12301@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> puglia@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:

>I am running UNIX HOUSE sysv5 rel 4 on one of there 486 boxes.  Yesterday,
>I installed a second serial card in the machine by manually adding it to
>into the system. ...

>it responds
>to the login request really slow. It seems to be printing the welcome message
>one character at a time with a long pause in between characters.

Had that one time on a Xenix system.  Changed to a different serial card
and it went away.   On that system the characters were being presented at
about 1 character per second.    That, I thought, was a bit slow for a 9600
bps link :-)   Can you borrow another serial board to try?

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP